Need help with TV Ariel please!

Is the aerial on the roof a digital one ? has it been checked or are ppl just guessing? analogue ones wont work as there is no longer an analogue signal

No such thing as a digital aerial.

Have you made sure the plug/sockets on the aerial cable are OK? For example, if that's screwed you won't get a signal even if the aerial is good. Example, when I moved into a property a while back I ended up having to replace 3 connectors on it before I got any signal at all.

You all say no such thing as a digital aerial then why did did I have to change mine when the changes happened as all I stopped receiving signal but when it was replaced with a digital aerial then I got full signal again?

It's possible your existing aerial wasn't very good and you needed a higher gain aerial.

But there is still no such thing as a digital aerial.

I didnt think a 'digital' aerial existed but while away in Lincolnshire last weekend bought one from Argos for £13, wired it and set it up in the same direction as neighbours and it worked fantastically with the freeview on tv. Now back home in Sheffield, our old analogue aerial works fine. Just ensure the aerial wire is plugged into the correct hole on back of tv, the one which says 'ant in' and it should be good to go. although we didnt receive all the channels on freeview. We ve added a digi box to our tv now with an analogue aerial and got 133 channels. with that, the aerial needs to be plugged into 'ant in' on digi box, then you need another wire to plug into 'ant out' on digi box and into 'ant in' on tv along with a scart lead plugged into both and away you go. All quite easy to do really. Hope this helps.

You said you moved in.

When we moved in here, the TV reception from the aerial wall socket was very poor -- only one station visible at poor quality.

Turned out we had a masthead amplifier; the previous owners had tidily packed up all the electric leads around the TV --- including the power supply for the masthead amplifier!

You said you moved in.

When we moved in here, the TV reception from the aerial wall socket was very poor -- only one station visible at poor quality.

Turned out we had a masthead amplifier; the previous owners had tidily packed up all the electric leads around the TV --- including the power supply for the masthead amplifier!

I've come across that many times, the previous occupants thinking that the psu behind the tv was an actual amplifier when in fact it just supplies the power to the masthead amp and once it is disconnected the signal cannot travel through the amp hence no picture.

You all say no such thing as a digital aerial then why did did I have to change mine when the changes happened as all I stopped receiving signal but when it was replaced with a digital aerial then I got full signal again?

The old analogue transmissions used UHF channels 21-68 and your local transmitter would allocate these in a tight group, ie Crosspool (group A) ch. 21,24,27,31 but in order to minimise interference between transmitters Emley Moor channels would be grouped at the upper end. Aerials were optimised for each group which were A,B,C,D. There is also wide-band which gives a flat response across all channels - it is this one which is recommended for Freeview because this utilises the whole UHF band. These transmissions are more complex but still ride on the existing UHF carriers.

In strong signal areas many people still get Freeview with older single-group aerials. If you look carefully, aerials for Crosspool (group A) have longer bars than the ones for Emley Moor (group C-D) and wide-band usually have their bars spaced unequally.

There could have been other reasons for your poor signal such as a faulty down lead or festered connections at the aerial itself.

The old analogue transmissions used UHF channels 21-68 and your local transmitter would allocate these in a tight group, ie Crosspool (group A) ch. 21,24,27,31 but in order to minimise interference between transmitters Emley Moor channels would be grouped at the upper end. Aerials were optimised for each group which were A,B,C,D. There is also wide-band which gives a flat response across all channels - it is this one which is recommended for Freeview because this utilises the whole UHF band. These transmissions are more complex but still ride on the existing UHF carriers.

In strong signal areas many people still get Freeview with older single-group aerials. If you look carefully, aerials for Crosspool (group A) have longer bars than the ones for Emley Moor (group C-D) and wide-band usually have their bars spaced unequally.

There could have been other reasons for your poor signal such as a faulty down lead or festered connections at the aerial itself.

This is exactly what I was told.An aerial designed for emley moor will not work on Cross pool.

This is exactly what I was told.An aerial designed for emley moor will not work on Cross pool.

In a weak signal area (analogue) this would happen, but in a strong area almost any type would get a satisfactory picture, although you might lose one channel only, or see uneven quality between the channels. In the villages near to the Emley mast, a piece of wire stuck in the aerial socket would get good pictures.