Sheffield NHS Trust on standby for Ebola patients.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ebola-virus-outbreak-uk-hospitals-on-standby-as-david-cameron-holds-cobra-meeting-9781193.html

Does anyone else wonder about the wisdom of this decision?

Firstly, I would have thought treatment centres for Ebola victims would be best situated outside major cities.

Secondly, on what basis have the four hospitals been chosen? Location purely? Size? Amount of staff available? Proven record on following procedures, especially relating to hygiene and disease control?

The patients are quarantined to within an inch of their life, dont worry, we arent all going to suddenly catch it.

I wouldn't be too glib about it...the nurse in Spain who has caught it was provided with all the necessary protective equipment and still it got to her....now some of her contacts are also being monitored...what will happen if it gets out "into the wild" in the UK? Or are we so much better than Spain? Do we have different equipment/procedures?

I wouldn't be too glib about it...the nurse in Spain who has caught it was provided with all the necessary protective equipment and still it got to her....now some of her contacts are also being monitored...what will happen if it gets out "into the wild" in the UK? Or are we so much better than Spain? Do we have different equipment/procedures?

I must admit, as a visitor to Sheffield hospitals, I have often been disappointed with hygiene procedures, particularly where patients have required 'barrier nursing'.

I know it's not all about doctors and other staff following procedures, but patients and visitors too, who seem devastatingly lacking in education in these matters.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ebola-virus-outbreak-uk-hospitals-on-standby-as-david-cameron-holds-cobra-meeting-9781193.html

Does anyone else wonder about the wisdom of this decision?

Firstly, I would have thought treatment centres for Ebola victims would be best situated outside major cities.

Secondly, on what basis have the four hospitals been chosen? Location purely? Size? Amount of staff available? Proven record on following procedures, especially relating to hygiene and disease control?

Whereas I'd've thought they'd situate Ebola treatment centres in hospitals.