Sheffield NHS Trust on standby for Ebola patients.

Yeah ..right.

Actually we do.

The areas in which Ebola has spread suffers from very poor conditions which limit the opportunities to maintain good hygienic standards, little to no health care system which means that the family have to look after the victims of the Ebola virus, and a lot of people are ignorant about disease and how it is spread.

Without the lack of basic healthcare, squaller and ignorance Ebola wouldn't be such a big threat. It is not a super virus that can survive for long outside of a body. It isn't a stealthy highly infectious virus that is spread before signs of illness present themselves, and it is easy to avoid methods of infection.

If I was worried about Ebola, this isn't the outbreak that I'd be worried about. I'd be worried about some future outbreak where the virus may mutate and become a virus that is spread by the airborne method.

If I was worried about Ebola, this isn't the outbreak that I'd be worried about. I'd be worried about some future outbreak where the virus may mutate and become a virus that is spread by the airborne method.

Whilst I agree with you entirely, it is still right to be wary.

As this outbreak spreads, it creates more evolutionary chances for the virus as a result of the increased number of viruses reproducing. That increases the chance of an airborne mutation.

No need for any panic, but certainly a need for close attention.

As this outbreak spreads, it creates more evolutionary chances for the virus as a result of the increased number of viruses reproducing. That increases the chance of an airborne mutation.

Maybe the bigger concern is for an existing airborne virus to mutate into something more deadly? It would explain all the kerfuffle from the scientists regarding bird flu a few years ago.

As far as I'm aware (and a quick Google's just reinforced my belief) there's never been a human virus known to alter or develop the way it is transmitted, they all stay the same in that respect. No evidence or reason to think that Ebola would become airborne.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee it won't happen, just that there's no reason to believe it will happen.

As far as I'm aware (and a quick Google's just reinforced my belief) there's never been a human virus known to alter or develop the way it is transmitted, they all stay the same in that respect. No evidence or reason to think that Ebola would become airborne.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee it won't happen, just that there's no reason to believe it will happen.

Another quick Google convinces me that you are right:)

There is a first time for everything though.

Maybe the bigger concern is for an existing airborne virus to mutate into something more deadly? It would explain all the kerfuffle from the scientists regarding bird flu a few years ago.

flu is a special case, there are hundreds of different variants some of which are easily transmissible and some of which are very damaging in their action on the body. it's also rather promiscuous and flu virii readily swap bits of themselves with other flu virii.

the bird flu which caused the panic several years ago was very damaging but not easily transmissable, the worry was that it would encounter someone suffering from an easily transmissible but not very damaging flu virus, they would swap bits and produce the easily transmissable very damaging virus which would open the way to a proper global flu pandemic.

---------- Post added 26-10-2014 at 22:35 ----------

As this outbreak spreads, it creates more evolutionary chances for the virus as a result of the increased number of viruses reproducing.

evolution tends to produce milder versions of a virus.

some people will have a natural immunity or at least a partial immunity so they have a better chance of survival and so passing on that immunity to their descendants.

equally, a virus which kills its host before it has chance to infect anyone else isn't going to get very far.

I prefer not to use google and certainly would not rely on it too much.

Here's one that keeps popping its head up now and then that rather counters your google findings.

Pneumonic plague, a severe type of lung infection, is one of three main forms of plague, all of which are caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis. It is more virulent and rare than bubonic plague. The difference between the versions of plague is simply the location of the infection in the body; the bubonic plague is an infection of the lymphatic system, the pneumonic plague is an infection of the respiratory system, and the septicaemic plague is an infection in the blood stream.

Typically, pneumonic form is due to a spread from infection of an initial bubonic form. Primary pneumonic plague results from inhalation of fine infective droplets and can be transmitted from human to human without involvement of fleas or animals.

and still we allow people to travel internationally without being quarantined.

Naivety might be blissfull but unfortunately when reality wakes you up it might be too late.

I prefer not to use google and certainly would not rely on it too much.

Here's one that keeps popping its head up now and then that rather counters your google findings.

Pneumonic plague, a severe type of lung infection, is one of three main forms of plague, all of which are caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis. It is more virulent and rare than bubonic plague. The difference between the versions of plague is simply the location of the infection in the body; the bubonic plague is an infection of the lymphatic system, the pneumonic plague is an infection of the respiratory system, and the septicaemic plague is an infection in the blood stream.

Typically, pneumonic form is due to a spread from infection of an initial bubonic form. Primary pneumonic plague results from inhalation of fine infective droplets and can be transmitted from human to human without involvement of fleas or animals.

and still we allow people to travel internationally without being quarantined.

Naivety might be blissfull but unfortunately when reality wakes you up it might be too late.

I think that you need to reassess how you view google or any other type of online resource because it is no different from any academic resource.

Any article is only as strong or weak as it's references. OK I'll accept that if you're lazy a peer reviewed journal makes things easy, because generally the references will be checked before publication, but it doesn't mean that you can discount other sources of information.

So if you know what you're doing google is a fine source of information for an internet forum, for example it'll tell you the difference between a virus and bacteria.