Sheffield NHS Trust on standby for Ebola patients.

Your comments are as reduculous and far from the truth as most other posters in this thread.

Go and do you homework and inform yourself as to the vectors for the transmission of Ebola. And get a grip. You know ,"keeping your head while all those about you lose theirs".

The potential for panic would be greatly reduced if people took the trouble to carry out some research for themselves. And it's very humble of yourself to set yourself up as "the custodian of the unadulterated truth". If I had the skills necessary to care for a casualty of Ebola I'd volunteer.

My apologise to any moderators for bickering. But pomposity warrants a rebuke.

Edited by petemcewan

Go and do you homework and inform yourself as to the vectors for the transmission of Ebola. And get a grip. You know ,"keeping your head while all those about you lose theirs".

The potential for panic would be greatly reduced if people took the trouble to carry out some research for themselves. And it's very humble of yourself to set yourself up as "the custodian of the unadulterated truth". If I had the skills necessary to care for a casualty of Ebola I'd volunteer.

My apologise to any moderators for bickering. But pomposity warrants a rebuke.

Can you provide us with the source of evidence that suggests you need to 'swim about in body fluids' or keep pigs in your garden to be at risk of contracting Ebola? I can't seem to find reference to this anywhere.

Of course not, and there's no need for staff to be sat their waiting, I presume that there are staff who have volunteered to be part of a disaster response team and are already trained and there are disaster response procedures pretty much in place anyway.

As for facilities, I would envisage (I may be wrong), that like staff, the majority of necessary equipment to treat infectious diseases is transferable, and even pop-up hospitals are a reality, if a suitable enough building really couldn't be found.

http://www.buildingbetterhealthcare.co.uk/technical/article_page/The_emergence_of_popup_hospitals/95175

The Hallamshire does have staff waiting. They're there on E floor all year round in the infectious diseases unit waiting to deal with infectious disease cases in a custom built environment. The facilities and expert staff already exist there. That is why it got selected.

They will clearly have other duties than waiting for people to turn up, seems they deal with HIV and Malaria among other things see https://www.nhs.uk/Services/hospitals/Services/Service/DefaultView.aspx?id=1357

Aparently the food sucks, so if you're going to catch Ebola take a pack lunch.

the food at the Hallamshire isn't too bad actually, not cordon bleu but edible

It can be as little as 2 days

"The incubation period, or the time interval from infection to onset of symptoms, is from 2 to 21 days."

From here

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/faq-ebola/en/

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 20:54 ----------

How did the nurse in Spain catch it? Do you think she was sharing a bath with her patient?

If you do your own research you will discover the vectors for transmission from human to human.Go to the CDC and NIH (American sites) and get up to speed. Believe me, I do take seriously the possibility of Ebola in the UK.

In my posting I used a bit of "journalise" when describing the possible ways that Ebola is transmitted. (Vomit,excrement ,blood, infected pigs and even fruit bats. It's only recently that flies are considered vectors ). But what I do know for sure -in spite of what others might say-is that it requires close contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person to get the disease. Consequently IMO she must have come in contact with infected body fluids. There's bound to be some information by a medicl Institute which says how she got it.

I often take a close friend of mine to the Infectious Diseases Unit of the Halasham Hospital- for blood tests. I shan't stop doing that ;even if the hospital has Ebola patients. You see, getting informed stops one from going into a panic.

If you do your own research you will discover the vectors for transmission from human to human.Go to the CDC and NIH (American sites) and get up to speed. Believe me, I do take seriously the possibility of Ebola in the UK.

In my posting I used a bit of "journalise" when describing the possible ways that Ebola is transmitted. (Vomit,excrement ,blood, infected pigs and even fruit bats. It's only recently that flies are considered vectors ). But what I do know for sure -in spite of what others might say-is that it requires close contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person to get the disease. Consequently IMO she must have come in contact with infected body fluids. There's bound to be some information by a medicl Institute which says how she got it.

I often take a close friend of mine to the Infectious Diseases Unit of the Halasham Hospital- for blood tests. I shan't stop doing that ;even if the hospital has Ebola patients. You see, getting informed stops one from going into a panic.

The Spanish nurse is understood to have touched her face with a gloved hand after tending to the patient with Ebola. So yes, close contact but no swimming or pigs involved.