Sheffield Manor Estate - Manor Chapel

Does anyone out there recall the whereabouts of the Manor Wesleyan Chapel on the Manor Estate? I am told it was on Manor Park Crescent quite close to the Manor ruins. Unfortunately it was demolished in 1982, but I am trying to find out where exactly it was located and hopefully sweet talk someone local into taking a photo of the location for me. My gt gt gt grandfather founded the Chapel and I'm doing a spot of family history research. Many thanks. Katherine

I live literally on the doorstep of Manor Castle ruins and all my family grew up around here. My mum used to go the church you're talking about a lot... it was called Manor Methodist Church at one point, and it was just across the road from the Manor Castle ruins, my mum knows the spot. If you get intouch I'll try my very best to help you out.

Chloé

• 5 months later...

Chloe, Many thanks for your reply to my posting. I would love to hear any of your Mum's memories of attending the chapel and who she remembers being there with, if she cares to pass them on. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply but I obviously forgot to tick the e-mail notification option and forgot all about my posting!

Might you be able to photograph the exact location for me?

Was your Mum baptised in the chapel by any chance? I have baptismal records dating back quite a long way because my Mum's family, the Cowlishaws, founded the chapel. If you wish to let me know your surname I could see if I hold a record for your family.

Apologies again for not having got in touch sooner and I hope you don't mind being contacted now.

Kind regards, Katherine Seavill :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have been collecting information about Manor Lodge and the surrounding areas for a few years as i am interested in the local history being born and bred round here. the original manor wesleyan church stood in the grounds of the Manor Lodge and in the early 1900s the new chapel was built at the top of what is now called Manor Park Crescent. (Didn't become the Crescent until 1950 when the estate was built)

I have a picture of both. they can be obtained from the local studies library in Sheffield.

Jack Cowlishaw who I would say is in his 70s lives at Dronfield may be one of your relatives I know that he has quite a number of pics of the newest Chapel.

iI have also had a newspaper cutting from the local studies with all the scholars on who went to the old chapel and there are many Cowlishaws on it. It gives their names and where they are stood. i think it was in the 1870w

Chloe

Yes it was, there used to be allsorts of activities going off up there, from Sunday services , Sunday school, the brownies and the guides, bring and buy sales and jumble sales they had May Queens and midnight hikes for the teenagers, where they would take them supervised into the country and walk thru villages so as not to wake the locals. I bet that was fun. Also sitting on the grass listeneing to the first early birds singing at about 4am.

This was all stewarded and supervised, many buses would set off from pond street with the teenagers on. I wasn't there I have been told by people who were. Allthogh we lived just down the road we were not allowed to go to the methodist church.

Mo

Maureen,

Many thanks for all the interesting information and your memories about the Sunday school outings. These sound a lot more fun than my Sunday school memories from Manchester in the 1960s!

Do you happen to have any more detailed address for Jack Cowlishaw? I am not a native of Sheffield.

Many thanks.

Katherine Seavill

Sorry I do not have Jacks address or telephone number, he lives at Dronfield now. I think he will be at the next Xmas fayre which is on 22nd November, at William Temple Curch Hall Harborough Avenue Sheffield.

I know he has a friend who is in touch with him regularly, on Manor Park Crescent

I can pass a message on if you want ? Could you give me the name of your great, great, grand father or any other details which may be relevant to him and I will get back to you

Mo