Ebola - can UK cope in a crisis?

It's obvious to you because you want it to support your stance when in fact it does not support your stance, the NHS, CDC and WHO also all disagree with it.

As you invoke the WHO as a reliable source of advice, would you care to comment upon their recommendations for travel restrictions?

WHO does not recommend any travel or trade restrictions be applied except in cases where individuals have been confirmed or are suspected of being infected with EVD or where individuals have had contact with cases of EVD. (Contacts do not include properly-protected health-care workers and laboratory staff.)

what if she went round licking everybody on the plane?

we can what if all we like the point is we have a very good health service and good precautionary practices

She would not need to lick people on the plane in order to infect others, she would just have needed to ignore any symptoms believing them to be nothing to worry about, and go about her daily activities, eventually spreading her bodily fluids in areas that other people frequent.

She would not need to lick people on the plane in order to infect others, she would just have needed to ignore any symptoms believing them to be nothing to worry about, and go about her daily activities, eventually spreading her bodily fluids in areas that other people frequent.

In which case, can you explain why we still don't have a worldwide problem?

As you invoke the WHO as a reliable source of advice, would you care to comment upon their recommendations for travel restrictions?

I have not said that there should be travel restrictions.

---------- Post added 30-12-2014 at 13:27 ----------

In which case, can you explain why we still don't have a worldwide problem?

Very likley because to date the people carrying Ebola around the world are not ignoring the symptoms.

Hmm. Let's just take a look at the bold bit in the quote below...

And there are plenty of very ignorant people in the UK, some do not read the paper, some do not watch TV, some do not have internet access some do not even understand English and some will avoid the health system if they feel sick. We can not rely on controlling it if it arrives, the best defense is to stop it getting here.

And compare it to this mealy mouthed sidestep.

I have not said that there should be travel restrictions.

You can stop pretending now.

I think this part of the debate is over now. Isn't it, Smithy?

Hmm. Let's just take a look at the bold bit in the quote below...

Both statements are correct. We can not rely on controlling it if it arrives, the best defense is to stop it getting here, that does not in any way imply that I think we should restrict travel.

The best way to avoid catching a cold is to isolate yourself from everyone, that does not mean that I would isolate myself from everyone or recommend other people isolate themselves from everyone. It was just a simple statement of fact, nothing more.

Both statements are correct. We can not rely on controlling it if it arrives, the best defense is to stop it getting here, that does not in any way imply that I think we should restrict travel.

The best way to avoid catching a cold is to isolate yourself from everyone, that does not mean that I would isolate myself from everyone or recommend other people isolate themselves from everyone. It was just a simple statement of fact, nothing more.

If you like:rolleyes:

This all looks very much like you changing your tune once your rather odd views have been opened up to scrutiny. Not for the first time, I might add.

Weasel around all you like, everybody can see what you said and can work out why you said it.

If you like:rolleyes:

This all looks very much like you changing your tune once your rather odd views have been opened up to scrutiny. Not for the first time, I might add.

Weasel around all you like, everybody can see what you said and can work out why you said it.

Just read what is written without putting your own twist on the words in front of you and you should not go too far wrong.

The point here is that if we quarantined healthcare workers for the incubation period of the virus prior to them returning to the UK then the current risk of an outbreak would not be present. We are taking chances that we do not need to in order to avoid inconveniencing healthcare workers... it is not worth it.

The point here is that if we quarantined healthcare workers for the incubation period of the virus prior to them returning to the UK then the current risk of an outbreak would not be present. We are taking chances that we do not need to in order to avoid inconveniencing healthcare workers... it is not worth it.

In your opinion.