Ebola - can UK cope in a crisis?

I agree that it's political exercise that has no medical value, that is obvious. This is because screening is such an ineffective method of detecting many diseases.

Of all the people referred to CDC entering the US due to screening, not one has gone on to develop Ebola, whereas two people managed to pass through screening with Ebola. Source.

The only way to protect our country is to control the outbreak at source.

The only way to control it is to contain it. Letting people board international and domestic flights with no containment whatsoever after they have been exposed to the virus is insane... especially if screening is ineffective! You have made the argument for more rigorous quarantining.

I agree that it's political exercise that has no medical value, that is obvious. This is because screening is such an ineffective method of detecting many diseases.

Of all the people referred to CDC entering the US due to screening, not one has gone on to develop Ebola, whereas two people managed to pass through screening with Ebola. Source.

---------- Post added 31-12-2014 at 09:53 ----------

If this is the only evidence that your looking at I understand why you're feeling so panicky. Fortunately, medics like to take a much more broad approach to analysing the evidence.

Zamo has not said anything that can be even vaguely described as panicky.

---------- Post added 31-12-2014 at 10:00 ----------

I agree, control and containment at the source, for now we are doing neither, we are not controlling it or containing it at the source.

Now just take a step back.

What has saved the lives of those infected has been prompt intensive care.

There is, currently, no successful medicinal cure for Ebola.

i didnt say there was a cure, he said there is no medicine for ebola, there is....an experimental vaccine

---------- Post added 31-12-2014 at 10:02 ----------

I agree, control and containment at the source, for now we are doing neither, we are not controlling it or containing it at the source.

we ARE controlling and containing it?

is the tv news full of ebola zombies running amok round london or glasgow?

or is it still just featuring the same passenger?

i didnt say there was a cure, he said there is no medicine for ebola, there is....an experimental vaccine

Not having an outbreak is not evidence of control. No, we don't have an outbreak but we also do not have control... as evidenced by the case early this week. Lack of control risks an outbreak.

---------- Post added 31-12-2014 at 10:02 ----------

If Ebola was contained it would be held within a given area, when something leaks out of the area it is not contained, but a lack of containment does not imply a flood. If it was controlled the the number of case would be falling, the fact that the infection rate is still increasing is evidence that it is not under control. Therefor we have a lack of control and containment which increases the risk of it getting out of control.

If Ebola was contained it would be held within a given area, when something leaks out of the area it is not contained, but a lack of containment does not imply a flood. If it was controlled the the number of case would be falling, the fact that the infection rate is still increasing is evidence that it is not under control. Therefor we have a lack of control and containment which increases the risk of it getting out of control.

You don't understand that which you claim to understand.

I fully understand that it is not contained or under control, if you think differently then please explain what your idea of control and containment would be.

I meant in a general sense; you don't really understand much about science or the way the world works.

Not having an outbreak is not evidence of control. No, we don't have an outbreak but we also do not have control... as evidenced by the case early this week. Lack of control risks an outbreak.

we dont have an outbreak, the patient theyve been isolating has been shown to be negative in tests, just been on the news so put down the pitchforks

hahaha just been reading some of the nonsense selfish comments on the bottom of this page

http://news.sky.com/story/1400080/hero-nurses-crusade-against-awful-disease

LOL

I meant in a general sense; you don't really understand much about science or the way the world works.

You clearly think you know more than me yet so far have offered zero evidence to support your obvious stance that my assertions are incorrect.

My guess is that you are simply looking to pass the time by causing an argument, which is very sad, and something I have seen you do several times on different topics with different members, if you want to discuss the topic please feel free, if you want to talk about me please feel free to start a new topic.