Ebola - can UK cope in a crisis?

The answer is "probably".

That doesn't mean that we should be complacent, but that we need to be vigilant and forward thinking.

Vigilance involves looking for signs of the disease, but not by quarantining. Simply because that won't work.

Forward thinking involves incentivising the drug companies to come up with an effective treatment as soon as possible.

We certainly shouldn't be panicking though. It isn't an easy disease to catch and it is highly unlikely to cause any sustained outbreak here. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be really careful though.

Why do you think quarantining doesn't work? WHO have used it before successfully and it is not a new tactic.

---------- Post added 31-12-2014 at 19:01 ----------

The reason WHO are not quarantining healthcare workers is not because it doesn't work but because they are worried it will 'stigmatise' them. See here. Unfortunately it is this policy that has caused the stigmatisation.

It's a shame that the people making decisions seem to be unfamiliar with the instability of non-linear systems. Trying to contain exponential growth with a finite and very linear response is doomed to fail once a small threshold has been crossed. Our hopes are pinned entirely on that not happening, and yet is so easlily could.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually think that its very irresponsible to go to another country,contract the disease which was highly likely, and then return here with all the risks of passing it on to other innocent people along the way,including putting hospital staff here at unessercary risk.

I actually think that its very irresponsible to go to another country,contract the disease which was highly likely, and then return here with all the risks of passing it on to other innocent people along the way,including putting hospital staff here at unessercary risk.

I'm sure that it doesn't surprise anybody that you feel this way.

I'm sure that it doesn't surprise anybody that you feel this way.

If one of your family managed to get it from her ,i wonder if you would have the same attitude?

I guess not,but i could be wrong.If it doesnt affect me it dont matter ay?

if you read the thread im not the only one to think the same!

If one of your family managed to get it from her ,i wonder if you would have the same attitude?

I guess not,but i could be wrong.If it doesnt affect me it dont matter ay?

if you read the thread im not the only one to think the same!

Did she infect anybody? No. Has any healthcare worker infected anybody via social situations in the West? No. So was she a risk to any of my family or friends? No.

Did she infect anybody? No. Has any healthcare worker infected anybody via social situations in the West? No. So was she a risk to any of my family or friends? No.

ah lol

Ok doc :)

---------- Post added 24-01-2015 at 21:41 ----------

a person with Ebola is no risk to anyone lol