Homework 'damages' children and creates family tensions

Does it teach them self motivation and application though?
Done right (i.e. the 'right' work according to a child's personality, stage of development, <etc.> with the 'right' form of encouragement/supervision), I believe it does.

I think it can also lead to resentment.
Then 'something' is wrong with any or all of the homework (amount, level, etc.), the child's development or the context. A child should be curious and want to learn (within reason, of course - I'm not talking about precocious geniuses who chomp 10 Euclidian equations before breakfast :D), not consider homework like a chore worse than washing pots or clearing the table.

In essence, subject to the child's level, somewhere between Stalag 13 and a free-for all ;)

When you think about it, school is quite a difficult period of your life, especially if you are trying to apply yourself.
When you think about it, school is probably the cushiest period of your life as a fully-functioning human (I'm deliberately abstracting the early nappy/kindergarten years ;)).

Introducing homework towards the last 2 years of school sounds like a good idea to me, when kids are starting to get their teeth stuck into a few meaty projects.
I believe that's far too late, and more conducive of this 'resentment' you mentioned, as by that time the child has gained after-school life/leisure habits which are harder to break and reshape (than if shaped early and gradually ramped up).

A bit like driving, takes a (relatively) short time to learn the basics, but a significantly longer time to modify acquired bad habits.

Edited by L00b

A child should be curious and want to learn (within reason, of course), not consider homework like a chore worse than washing pots or clearing the table. In essence, subject to the child's level, somewhere between Stalag 13 and a free-for all ;)

:) How true

If you support your child in learning to read and write in the early years, give lots of praise and make learning enjoyable, they will fly by themselves without the need for extra schoolwork outside school time.

And hopefully make them better prepared for life in secondary school.

And hopefully make them better prepared for life in secondary school.

Definitely. If they have been put off learning (for whatever reason) by age 11, it's really difficult to re-motivate them when it all gets that bit more formal. Children are born curious and programmed to want to learn, but some -sadly - get it knocked out of them very early. I've often wondered whether forcing homework onto kids who don't want to do it, makes the situation worse.

It is great when the young ones have some homework to do. It helps create a bond with the family and the school and shows the children how you behave to the task in hand. A positive interest in their work can help them with their attitude towards achievement and problem solving.

A parent who shows no interest in their kids homework will see their attitude reflected in the child's development so there are dangers.

When you think about it, school is probably the cushiest period of your life as a fully-functioning human

Yes, but as we all know, that's not the case for sooo many people. If we could go back to that time, knowing what we know now, I think many of us would enjoy the process a lot more and not take it for granted. We're so lucky that we have access to such a good education!

It is great when the young ones have some homework to do. It helps create a bond with the family and the school and shows the children how you behave to the task in hand. A positive interest in their work can help them with their attitude towards achievement and problem solving.

A parent who shows no interest in their kids homework will see their attitude reflected in the child's development so there are dangers.

Absolutely, this is very true as well. Life is not a level playing field and parents can do a lot to give their kids a head start - by supporting the formal teaching that's going on in school, reading to their child every day, listening to their reading, and above all, playing with them and talking to them in much more than just a functional 'Go and wash your hands' sort of way. Instilling a sense of wonder in them. Teaching them that education is their pathway to being fulfilled and happy and successful later, whatever they go on to do.

But the sad fact is that some kids don't get this kind of support and although they are just the ones who often end up 'switching off' from what school has to offer. Giving kids in that kind of situation shedloads of homework in primary school (or even later) just demotivates them further. Better just to praise their efforts in the classroom and enrich their life at school in every way possible.

I believe that's far too late, and more conducive of this 'resentment' you mentioned, as by that time the child has gained after-school life/leisure habits which are harder to break and reshape (than if shaped early and gradually ramped up).

A bit like driving, takes a (relatively) short time to learn the basics, but a significantly longer time to modify acquired bad habits.

I think a child learns enough during school hours, if they are applying themselves properly. I just think that towards the end of their school years, when they're given big projects to complete, they should be encouraged to take some of their work home with them. It's a good lesson for later life. Whether it's studying, or working on a big project in the real world, at some point in your career, you'll be burning the midnight oil.

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 12:27 ----------

This kind of activity should be taking place at home anyway. Things like reading, drawing, counting and spelling, early years stuff, shouldn't feel like learning to a child, it should be fun.

When you've done double maths in secondary school, what's the point of having another hour of the same stuff to do at home? That's just homework for the sake of having homework; and pretty pointless in my view.

Edited by Bonzo77

Primary school children should'nt need to be doing much homework other than maybe reading and spelling .having seen on display at my grandchildrens school the projects they sometimes do as homework it's quite clear the children have had nothing to do with them at all and have been done entirely by parents.so what is the point. Secondary school is early enough to start getting homework.