Cycle riders and licence plates

No but the potential exists for a cyclist to be responsible for paying out a large sum of money. For example, if they are responsible for an injury that leaves someone needing a package of care afterwards.

Rather than target cyclists maybe it should be compulsory for all adults to have third party personal liability insurance. That way anyone, regardless of whether they be on foot or bike, is covered for any damage or injury they caused to someone/thing else. I believe it is mandatory, or at least widely used, in certain

other European countries.

jb

No but the potential exists for a cyclist to be responsible for paying out a large sum of money. For example, if they are responsible for an injury that leaves someone needing a package of care afterwards.

Unfortunately, it works out much cheaper for the cyclist if the victim dies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13034162

Perhaps it could be provided by the government, free at the point of service, as it were. Thus not creating an entire new industry and passing a large amount of profit to private companies.

I would be happy with that. I wouldn't be that averse to third party insurance for drivers being accounted for at the pumps either... provided I could trust that it would be done fairly, which I don't.

jb

Rather than target cyclists maybe it should be compulsory for all adults to have third party personal liability insurance. That way anyone, regardless of whether they be on foot or bike, is covered for any damage or injury they caused to someone/thing else. I believe it is mandatory, or at least widely used, in certain

other European countries.

jb

I agree, as I said on the previous page, having third part insurance is a good idea if you regularly use the roads, but I do not believe that it should be compulsory.

Interesting idea for it to be compulsory for everybody.

---------- Post added 13-10-2014 at 15:41 ----------

Unfortunately, it works out much cheaper for the cyclist if the victim dies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13034162

It's not just the cyclist who benefits from someone dying after an accident, it's the same for everybody. The compensation for loss of life is a lot less than it costs for a lifelong care package.

---------- Post added 13-10-2014 at 15:43 ----------

True, I just wondered if it had ever happened.

To be honest I don't know, I just know I wouldn't want to be responsible for my child and my wife losing our house. Some cycle clubs offer third party insurance as part of their membership. I've got it as part of my accidental damage insurance for my cycles.

It's not just the cyclist who benefits from someone dying after an accident, it's the same for everybody. The compensation for loss of life is a lot less than it costs for a lifelong care package.

...I was also talking about the prison sentence, which the cyclist didn't get. A driver would most likely have to pay that price if they killed someone through dangerous driving.

That's not a dig at cyclists but a dig at the courts for not trying him for involuntary manslaughter, rather than "dangerous cycling", which only carries a mild punishment of a small fine.

I think all if not most agree some cyclists run red lights etc, etc . So do cars. The difference being the car owner is identifiable unlike the cyclist. If you Google you will find many a kid killed by a bicycle. Make no mistake being hit at 30mph by a bicycle to a pedestrian or car does a great deal of damage even death. I.D On a high vis vest is needed.

I think all if not most agree some cyclists run red lights etc, etc . So do cars. The difference being the car owner is identifiable unlike the cyclist. If you Google you will find many a kid killed by a bicycle. Make no mistake being hit at 30mph by a bicycle to a pedestrian or car does a great deal of damage even death. I.D On a high vis vest is needed.

Wear a hot high vis vest on a hot summer day? Am I not allowed to wear my back pack? If we had to wear a cover with ID over our backpacks, the back pack covers are not one size fits all, and as a result they come in different sizes so will I need a different cover for each of my different backpacks? No thank you.

Maybe we should have these registration vests when we go out boozing, so when the inevitable assaults happen we'll be able to identify the thugs?