Cycle riders and licence plates

Wear a hot high vis vest on a hot summer day? Am I not allowed to wear my back pack? If we had to wear a cover with ID over our backpacks, the back pack covers are not one size fits all, and as a result they come in different sizes so will I need a different cover for each of my different backpacks? No thank you.

Maybe we should have these registration vests when we go out boozing, so when the inevitable assaults happen we'll be able to identify the thugs?

Then you need a car with air conditioning. Its not anyone’s problem you don’t want to wear a vest on a hot day. Then walk, Take a bus, Train or car.

I don’t like putting on my seatbelt because it crinkles my hot new shirt. But I have to. If you need to carry stuff put a basket on the front of your bike , don’t want to do that? Then walk.

Then you need a car with air conditioning. Its not anyone’s problem you don’t want to wear a vest on a hot day. Then walk, Take a bus, Train or car.

I don’t like putting on my seatbelt because it crinkles my hot new shirt. But I have to. If you need to carry stuff put a basket on the front of your bike , don’t want to do that? Then walk.

No thanks, I'll just carry on riding my bike as i choose, without some ridiculous hi vis vest number plate, because it will never become a requirement.

It may or may not my friend. All I am saying is everyone should be accountable in the event of an accident. You would to if your kid got hit at 30mph from a bicycle. Oh but wait … You cant because he cycled off and we don’t know who it was. Oh Hum eh. You could always have another kid to replace the old one.

It may or may not my friend. All I am saying is everyone should be accountable in the event of an accident. You would to if your kid got hit at 30mph from a bicycle. Oh but wait … You cant because he cycled off and we don’t know who it was. Oh Hum eh. You could always have another kid to replace the old one.

If my child was killed by a cyclist my last thoughts would be who it was..then again I could feel safe in the thought of you not being a cyber warrior, you'd approach me face to face with comforting cynicism, like the following dirge.

You could always have another kid to replace the old one.

:rolleyes:

If my child was killed by a cyclist my last thoughts would be who it was..then again I could feel safe in the thought of you not being a cyber warrior, you'd approach me face to face with comforting cynicism, like the following dirge.

Last thought would be who killed your kid?!? I think most would want the perpetrator to face the full force of the law and be punished for that crime. However if You don't care about who killed your kid that's up to you. However most if not ALL of us would care!

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 04:38 ----------

Don’t bust it up and take out of context . Read it again and remember this was a reply to another post. Keep Up!! "It may or may not my friend. All I am saying is everyone should be accountable in the event of an accident. You would to if your kid got hit at 30mph from a bicycle. Oh but wait … You cant because he cycled off and we don’t know who it was. Oh Hum eh. You could always have another kid to replace the old one." Click up the page and re-read! That way you wont look silly.

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 04:40 ----------

Have I.D or get of the road its simple!!

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 04:44 ----------

:rolleyes:

God forbid if anything happened to anyone in your family you are saying the last thing on your mind is who done it? You look silly now! :loopy:

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 04:55 ----------

I’m sorry to say your 9 year old daughter was ran over smashed her scull on the concrete and has passed away We have no idea who the cyclist was …. And you say>> That’s ok I don’t care who did it, Then go back to watching TV. ???

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 05:03 ----------

This is not tattle tail its fact. A nine year old kid passed away from being hit by a bicycle. And not the first or the last…. Yes cars have done it but they are traceable unlike bicycles.

God forbid if anything happened to anyone in your family you are saying the last thing on your mind is who done it? You look silly now!:loopy:

Why would you need to "god forbid anything that happened to my family" I've already explained how I would feel should that happen, and I certainly don't need you to patronize me with troll like smileys.

’m sorry to say your 9 year old daughter was ran over smashed her scull on the concrete and has passed away We have no idea who the cyclist was …. And you say>> That’s ok I don’t care who did it, Then go back to watching TV. ???

Are you the aftermath of a serious head injury?

Why is it you one hit wonders like to think what others think? You have no idea of what I think or would do other than what I've said. I've indicated NOTHING about an offender being brought to book, however that transpires....nothing!

Unlike you after receiving the ultimate in loss I wouldn't be twitching and doing backflips screaming "who did it, what's the colour of his top, did he have a flashing beacon on his headgear"..i'd be in a state of shock you cynical and overly graphical walnut.

From this link posted earlier:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13034162

I wonder how many of the cyclists involved in those fatal and serious injury accidents rode away? Of those that did manage to, how many were caught at a later date?

Some cyclists may do things that are against the Highway Code. A lot more don't. There are a higher proportion of car drivers break the law than cyclists - and they do have identification. Will identification stop the small number of bad cyclists being bad?

My view is that cars and bicycles just don't mix well in a hilly city like Sheffield.

Because of the disparity of speed between the two vehicles, car drivers often get frustrated stuck behind a slow moving bicycle and will take a risk to get past.

The blame for any accident maybe on the car driver, but that will be of little comfort to a family who have lost a loved one.

I'd like to see a number of things:

1. Some sort of licencing/test scheme to prove cyclists are competent. Maybe just make it applicable to cyclists who travel on the main roads (A Roads).

2. A lot more dedicated cycle lanes and paths to keep cars and bicycles apart. Whilst I'd expect the majority of the cost for that would come out of the Governments coffers, I think cyclists should make some contribution through the licensing scheme.

I've got a bicycle at home, but I don't use it on the roads because I just don't feel safe with the volume of traffic there is these days. I would however be tempted to cycle to work from time to time if there was a safe path that took me the 8 miles from High Green into Sheffield.

I guess the financial implications are a problem for the Government in this day and age. Not only is the cost of safe cycle routes to consider, but also the loss of revenue from petrol if more people get out of their cars and onto their bikes.

Whether they'd also factor in the positive aspects like cleaner air and people keeping fitter by cycling, I have no idea.

It's certainly a tricky one.

Regards

Doom

Unfortunately, it works out much cheaper for the cyclist if the victim dies

Indeed

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=755105

Andrea Leadsom has had three years to research Rhiannon's terrible death and she still gets it wrong. The police evidence was that Rhiannon was in the road. The girl had been drinking Stella in the park. I'm not sure what I would do if a gang of youths blocked my way. The cyclist was the one who stopped and put Rhiannon in the recovery position as her friends did nothing. Leadsom is lying about a tragic death in order to whip up anti-cyclists sentiments. Leadsom is dishonest and irresponsible, as well as being plain wrong when she claims a number of pedestrians are killed by cyclists every year, this is factually inaccurate.

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 08:24 ----------

I think all if not most agree some cyclists run red lights etc, etc . So do cars. The difference being the car owner is identifiable unlike the cyclist. If you Google you will find many a kid killed by a bicycle. Make no mistake being hit at 30mph by a bicycle to a pedestrian or car does a great deal of damage even death. I.D On a high vis vest is needed.

It tells you exactly how many in that article, approx 2 a year. It doesn't tell you that most of those are the pedestrians at fault.

Cyclists don't deliberately run into anything or anyone, because they are just as likely to be injured as the other person.

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 08:25 ----------

It's not our problem that bikes don't need identification and we can wear what we like on a hot day whilst cycling.

You can't justify mandatory IDs and/or cycle vests, so tough.

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 08:26 ----------

From this link posted earlier:

I wonder how many of the cyclists involved in those fatal and serious injury accidents rode away? Of those that did manage to, how many were caught at a later date?

Some cyclists may do things that are against the Highway Code. A lot more don't. There are a higher proportion of car drivers break the law than cyclists - and they do have identification. Will identification stop the small number of bad cyclists being bad?

They have identification because incidents involving cars are a) more common and b) more serious.

Cyclists will never be registered, get over it. :thumbsup:

I tell you what, there's nothing like a cycling thread on SF to help weed out and identify those who are best avoided. To that end, these threads serve a very useful purpose.

It's almost Pavlovian.

Edited by perplexed