Cycle riders and licence plates

Then you need a car with air conditioning. Its not anyone’s problem you don’t want to wear a vest on a hot day. Then walk, Take a bus, Train or car.

I don’t like putting on my seatbelt because it crinkles my hot new shirt. But I have to. If you need to carry stuff put a basket on the front of your bike , don’t want to do that? Then walk.

You're mad if you think that it's appropriate to cycle over a 100km with a high vis. vest over your t shirt in the middle of summer. Also, you think that people who commute to work should carry all their work stuff in a basket?

I don't think that you've thought it through have you.

Here, I'll join the dots for you, as well as the obvious health benefits of the regular exercise, the more people who commute to work on their bike, the less people use their cars, making it easier for people who want/need to commute to work by their car.

As a society we need to look at ways to make it easier for people to use their bikes, not putting barriers up. It does look that society is moving forward with more councils looking to make it easier to cycle, but it's only a start.

It's a stupid idea that will simply serve to reduce the attractiveness of cycling therefore lowering the numbers of cyclists and the road thus adversely affecting cycling safety.

jb

Or perhaps just a precursor to cyclists paying road tax

An hour ago there was a kid cycling down Thompson Hill in High Green in the dark with no lights on and in the rain.....Talk about asking for trouble.

Regards

Doom

This us and them attitude does nobody no favours, and there'll be no discussion as we'd all be entrenched in our own position listing all the misdemeanours that we saw.

After all, if anyone spends even a small amount of time on the roads everyday we'd all see Car/bus/van/lorry drivers, cyclists/ motorcyclists and pedestrians do something stupid.

After all, if anyone spends even a small amount of time on the roads everyday we'd all see Car/bus/van/lorry drivers, cyclists/ motorcyclists and pedestrians do something stupid.

We would/do, but the title of this thread is about cyclists and the requirement for licence plates.

I think it's appropriate to mention how irresponsible some cyclists are and the danger they put themselves in, like the young lad in High Green last night.

Would he have put himself in that danger if he'd been on some sort of cycling proficiency course?

There are plenty of threads on the go at the moment with respect to bad car drivers and irresponsible pedestrians...

Regards

Doom

We would/do, but the title of this thread is about cyclists and the requirement for licence plates.

I think it's appropriate to mention how irresponsible some cyclists are and the danger they put themselves in, like the young lad in High Green last night.

Would he have put himself in that danger if he'd been on some sort of cycling proficiency course?

There are plenty of threads on the go at the moment with respect to bad car drivers and irresponsible pedestrians...

Regards

Doom

No, he knew what he was doing was wrong.

Regards

Doom

Millions of pedestrians and joggers deal with the hazards of road traffic every day, I don't see a call for a proficiency course or a licence plate hanging from their necks. Most cyclist are that colourful you be hard pressed not to see them anyway.

You'll always get a nutter riding without due care as you will also get a nutter driving without due care, no mot, no insurance, poor breaks, dodgy tyres etc. If a cyclist breaks the law and is caught doing so he's liable for being a danger on a public highway. Being a cyclist isn't a go free card.

Or perhaps just a precursor to cyclists paying road tax

Road tax doesn't exist. You know this, why do you persist in talking about it?

You also know that if VED were applied to cycles it would be £0.00, which is a net cost to the government to track it.

Cycles will never be taxed or licensed in the UK.

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 10:02 ----------

Probably yes.

I saw someone on the A61, in the roadworks, in the rain, in dark clothes, on a road bike with no rear light and a very poor front light last night.

They're an idiot. But they may well be an idiot that has done a proficiency test and the chances are that they're an idiot who can and does drive a car.

Doing a course doesn't stop someone being an idiot.

Doom

That doesn't stop it being relevant to this thread, cycling doesn't exist in a vacuum.

You're mad if you think that it's appropriate to cycle over a 100km with a high vis. vest over your t shirt in the middle of summer. Also, you think that people who commute to work should carry all their work stuff in a basket?

I think this was covered in posts #26 and #37

Probably yes.

I saw someone on the A61, in the roadworks, in the rain, in dark clothes, on a road bike with no rear light and a very poor front light last night.

They're an idiot. But they may well be an idiot that has done a proficiency test and the chances are that they're an idiot who can and does drive a car.

Doing a course doesn't stop someone being an idiot.

A course can make them aware of the dangers though.

I think some cyclists don't realise how at risk they are and how hard it is for motorists to see them.

I did a cycling proficiency course many years ago and it was drilled into us to maintain our bikes and make ourselves as visible as possible.

Regards

Doom