Cycle riders and licence plates

A course can make them aware of the dangers though.

I think some cyclists don't realise how at risk they are and how hard it is for motorists to see them.

I did a cycling proficiency course many years ago and it was drilled into us to maintain our bikes and make ourselves as visible as possible.

Regards

Doom

I used to cycle in the dark in dark clothes but with lights.

I was driving one night down a lit street with lots of cars parked up and I saw (at the last moment) someone cycling, wearing black but with lights on. It was only then that I realised how much you can blend in to such a background and how important it is to be seen.

I still wear black but with plenty of reflective strips at night.

So, I agree that some cyclists might not realise how at risk they are, I don't think a proficiency test might hold all the answers though.

Road tax doesn't exist. You know this, why do you persist in talking about it?

Ready to be corrected but I think Mecky was alluding the fact that the present government may be influenced into taxing because of fear-mongering and external opinion and using it as a precursor, not because he wants the tax. Could be wrong though, but I don't see him as being tax persistent on this specific issue, unless I missed something, which isn't difficult.

I think this was covered in posts #26 and #37

No, I did originally say in post #33 that the rucksack covers come in different sizes to match the size of the rucksack. It is not one size fits all. And depending on amount of stuff I'll have to carry to work will depend upon what bag i use.

Also, when i want to go on a long ride on a hot summer day, I'll not be wearing a backpack and it'll be too hot to wear a high vis. vest over my jersey.

I used to cycle in the dark in dark clothes but with lights.

I was driving one night down a lit street with lots of cars parked up and I saw (at the last moment) someone cycling, wearing black but with lights on. It was only then that I realised how much you can blend in to such a background and how important it is to be seen.

I still wear black but with plenty of reflective strips at night.

So, I agree that some cyclists might not realise how at risk they are, I don't think a proficiency test might hold all the answers though.

Until you've actually driven a motor vehicle and encountered a cyclist with no/poor lights, you don't realise how difficult it is to see them whilst driving.

Whilst I'm sure the kid in High Green knew he was in the wrong, I bet he didn't realise just how difficult it would be for a motorist to see him, especially with the steady rain we had last night.

Regards

Doom

Ready to be corrected but I think Mecky was alluding the fact that the present government may be influenced into taxing because of fear-mongering and external opinion and using it as a precursor, not because he wants the tax. Could be wrong though, but I don't see him as being tax persistent on this specific issue, unless I missed something, which isn't difficult.

I just get fed up of telling people that road tax hasn't existed for 80 years and that cycles would be zero rated, just as band A cars are.

Bikes will never require VED, it makes no sense, it's impossible without individual cycle licensing, it would achieve nothing and it would cost lots of money.

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 10:54 ----------

Until you've actually driven a motor vehicle and encountered a cyclist with no/poor lights, you don't realise how difficult it is to see them whilst driving.

Whilst I'm sure the kid in High Green knew he was in the wrong, I bet he didn't realise just how difficult it would be for a motorist to see him, especially with the steady rain we had last night.

Regards

Doom

Probably true. And telling him that in a cycling proficiency course wouldn't alter it.

Over 80% of adult cyclists also drive, so they surely DO know how difficult it is to see a dark cyclist amongst the spray and other headlights.

Which is why I personally have 2 rear lights and 3 forwards lights, and a cycling coat that has high vis strips built in.

I just get fed up of telling people that road tax hasn't existed for 80 years and that cycles would be zero rated, just as band A cars are.

Bikes will never require VED, it makes no sense, it's impossible without individual cycle licensing, it would achieve nothing and it would cost lots of money.

No good preaching that to me fella..I'm already on board.:thumbsup:

You do understand though that there are those that are so anti cyclist that they would cut off their own noses in spite by funding the cost. :hihi:

It may or may not my friend. All I am saying is everyone should be accountable in the event of an accident. You would to if your kid got hit at 30mph from a bicycle. Oh but wait … You cant because he cycled off and we don’t know who it was. Oh Hum eh. You could always have another kid to replace the old one.

In which case pedestrians everyone at all times when in public should have to wear a hi-vis vest emblazoned with their personal ID number. Better yet, tattoo it on everyone's forehead. I'm sure you'll agree to being first in the line... won't you?

jb

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 11:21 ----------

Or perhaps just a precursor to cyclists paying road tax

Why, who else pays road tax?

jb