Cycle riders and licence plates

Ha i wish i had a choice, most people cycle because there is no alternative, you are very lucky to have that choice of getting into your warm dry personnel transport. these last few days have been miserable for me and others. getting soaked to the skin, then putting up with cars drivers who pretend not to see you and and either force you into the kerb or pull out straight in front of you. even though your have hiviz vest on , front and rear FLASHING LIGHTS. what is it going to take for cars drivers to give us a break???

I've chosen to cycle * 2 and run * 2 so far this week. What makes you think that the rain stops me?

In the wet, I feel safer running tbh, even though it takes longer. I still only get wet through once, and I shower when I get to work.

The tram tracks are worrying me, ever since I came off on them a few months ago.

I'm guessing that under your idea I'll have to carry some form of ID as well, so the police could match the cyclist with the number
No, all that would be required is for your identification number to be most of your policy number (enough for it to be unique) with several digits, the first and last for example, being left off. These digits that are not on display would be your verification should the police do a check.

Only you would know them.

The police will also have to check cyclists regularly to stop the temptation to carry someone else's number.

I can't see why they'd have to check cyclists any more than they'd have to check car reg plates.

It would be much better if they just increased the punishment for fraud related to both car and cycling reg/identification numbers and made people well aware of the penalty.

No, all that would be required is for your identification number to be most of your policy number (enough for it to be unique) with several digits, the first and last for example, being left off. These digits that are not on display would be your verification should the police do a check.

I can't see why they'd have to check cyclists any more than they'd have to check car reg plates.

It would be much better if they just increased the punishment for fraud related to both car and cycling reg/identification numbers and made people well aware of the penalty.

Isn't the number plate registered against a car, which makes it easy to work out if the car is carrying a valid registration number. So what will the cyclists registration number be registered against, the person or the bike, and how can it be identified that the cyclist is carrying their number and not somebody else's?

A car plate is registered to a car, not a driver.

And you're now talking about increasing the punishment for a measure which isn't remotely required and makes no sense.

A car plate is registered to a car, not a driver.
I don't think I ever claimed it was registered to a driver.

And you're now talking about increasing the punishment for a measure which isn't remotely required and makes no sense.
You don't think punishment for copying current registration plates or (hypothetical) identification numbers (which would work in many of the same ways) is required? And it makes no sense?

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 20:54 ----------

Isn't the number plate registered against a car, which makes it easy to work out if the car is carrying a valid registration number. So what will the cyclists registration number be registered against, the person or the bike, and how can it be identified that the cyclist is carrying their number and not somebody else's?
The person, as previously stated.

It can be identified by the non-disclosed digits.

Example, policeman pulls over a cyclist for cycling a bit erratically, nothing serious.

PC: I see your ID number is 2417C, could you give me the first and last undisclosed digits along with your name and postcode please?

Cyclist: Yes officer, it's D and 8. My name is Bobby Bobson, postcode S99 4PK

PC: Okay that checks out okay, your policy number is D2417C8, could you just give me your house number to confirm your address?

Cyclist: Yes, it's 23

PC: that all checks out okay then, is everything okay? You seemed to be swerving about a bit

Cyclist: Yes officer, just dodging the bloody potholes that Amey hasn't got round to yet. S99's way down on the waiting list.

PC: Okay then, well try to take better care. Off you pop.

Edited by RootsBooster

I don't think I ever claimed it was registered to a driver.

So it should be clear why you'd have to check that cyclist numbers were being used by the correct cyclist then. Since they don't belong to the bike, unlike a car plate.

You don't think punishment for copying current registration plates or (hypothetical) identification numbers (which would work in many of the same ways) is required? And it makes no sense?

Given that bike registration is pointless, draconian enforcement of it would be, well, draconian.

The person, as previously stated.

It can be identified by the non-disclosed digits.

Example, policeman pulls over a cyclist for cycling a bit erratically, nothing serious.

PC: I see your ID number is 2417C, could you give me the first and last undisclosed digits along with your name and postcode please?

Assuming the cyclist isn't law abiding. How do you see this stop happening? On foot? Or in a car?

Cyclist: Yes officer, it's D and 8. My name is Bobby Bobson, postcode S99 4PK

PC: Okay that checks out okay, your policy number is D2417C8, could you just give me your house number to confirm your address?

Cyclist: Yes, it's 23

PC: that all checks out okay then, is everything okay? You seemed to be swerving about a bit

Cyclist: Yes officer, just dodging the bloody potholes that Amey hasn't got round to yet. S99's way down on the waiting list.

PC: Okay then, well try to take better care. Off you pop.

So, what you're saying is the 'pull' in this case was done on spurious grounds? Since motorists are specifically told in the HC to expect cyclists to be potentially erratic due to things like pot-holes.

So in this brave new world, cyclists can expect police to what, shout at them to stop, to be interrogated, simply for cycling around.

You're not really a cyclist are you, it's just a wind-up.

So it should be clear why you'd have to check that cyclist numbers were being used by the correct cyclist then. Since they don't belong to the bike, unlike a car plate.
Police check registration numbers to see who the registered keeper is, which in turn helps to see if the vehicle and/or driver are insured and MOT'd.

I might be missing your point, if there's more to it please elaborate

Assuming the cyclist isn't law abiding. How do you see this stop happening? On foot? Or in a car?
If you mean how would the police pursue him, they would have to decide on which would be the most effective and safest course of action, like they do (or should) in any situation.

So, what you're saying is the 'pull' in this case was done on spurious grounds? Since motorists are specifically told in the HC to expect cyclists to be potentially erratic due to things like pot-holes.

So in this brave new world, cyclists can expect police to what, shout at them to stop, to be interrogated, simply for cycling around.

The reason for the stop is irrelevant, I was trying to avoid further talk of cyclists running red lights or damaging cars, thought I'd go for something trivial and non-serious.

1. Does the fact that I used "erratic cycling" make the method of checking the number any less effective?

2. Do you think a policeman should not be allowed to stop and question a cyclist if his judgement concluded that the cyclists's behaviour warranted further investigation?

You're not really a cyclist are you, it's just a wind-up.
I don't wear tights and other skin-tight cycling gear, or goggles and a streamlined helmet. My bike's not a carbon fibre frame and it costs less than a grand. I haven't bought a £300 chainring gear just because it might be 20g lighter than the stock one that came with my bike. My tyres are wider than 1 inch.

I don't ride every day. I make several regular journeys on the roads by bike. Sometimes more, but the extra ones are purely for leisure. I have the same respect for cyclists as I do every other road user.

What reason do you have for thinking I'm not a cyclist?

I don't wear tights and other skin-tight cycling gear, or goggles and a streamlined helmet. My bike's not a carbon fibre frame and it costs less than a grand. I haven't bought a £300 chainring gear just because it might be 20g lighter than the stock one that came with my bike. My tyres are wider than 1 inch.

I don't ride every day. I make several regular journeys on the roads by bike. Sometimes more, but the extra ones are purely for leisure. I have the same respect for cyclists as I do every other road user.

What reason do you have for thinking I'm not a cyclist?

So casual cyclists are ok with you, but you don't like anyone who enjoys it as a sport? Nice one.

So casual cyclists are ok with you, but you don't like anyone who enjoys it as a sport? Nice one.

What are you talking about?

Was it this that made you think that?...

I have the same respect for cyclists as I do every other road user.
Edited by RootsBooster

Just to keep you abreast.

You wouldn't believe how well the skin tight clothes underneath a gilet can keep your temperature in balance during a cold spell. I hate wearing jackets because you always end up over heating.

My expensive chain ring is expensive because it's oval shaped, which is meant to provide smoother peddling.

25 mm tires are now in vogue and not 23mm tires, for some bizarre reason some research suggests that 25mm tire produce less resistance.

:cool: