Cycle riders and licence plates

Hey we could apply a similar idea to cars buses and lorries. If every vehicle had a unique number that identified them then no one would ever drive badly.....hang on wait a minute.

You appear to be suggesting that I've claimed it would stop people from cycling badly.

You appear to be suggesting that I've claimed it would stop people from cycling badly.

No I think it would stop people cycling. Full stop.

Looking at the bigger picture that will be no help to us all while we try to deal with the £5 billion annual cost to the NHS for the treatment of obesity.

That’s why no government in it right mind puts up barriers to people incorporating exercise as part of their normal daily routine. It’s not going to happen.

Looking at the bigger picture that will be no help to us all while we try to deal with the £5 billion annual cost to the NHS for the treatment of obesity.

That’s why no government in it right mind puts up barriers to people incorporating exercise as part of their normal daily routine. It’s not going to happen.

How would it stop people cycling?

How would it stop people cycling?

Do we really have to spell it out?

your just popping down the chippy, get your bike out, cant find your numbered tabard, maybe its in the wash and you don't have a spare cause the government only issue you with one to stop fraud. Two choices, cycle illegally without your number on, or take the car...so you take the car.

You want to pop to the shops but your rucksack would hide your numbered tabard, you'll be breaking the law, so you take the car.

Going mountain biking, but your camelbak hides your number. Too hot to go cycling without liquid, so you don't bother in case the police spot you.

Cycling along the beach, warmest day of the year, shirt off...oops that's illegal not displaying your number (unless its tattooed on your back maybe?).

Every pedestrian cyclist and horse rider already has a unique identifying feature, its called your face. We are all fitted with one.

Anyway this whole idea is getting silly, I cant even believe I joined in. I'm off to walk the dog, who ironically is chipped so she can be traced but I don't think we've reached chipping for people who cycle yet.

It's a stupid idea that will simply serve to reduce the attractiveness of cycling therefore lowering the numbers of cyclists and the road thus adversely affecting cycling safety.

jb

Anything that reduces the attractiveness of cycling is a good thing,

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 20:42 ----------

And why is that a bad thing. ? cyclists are a menace on the roads .

Do we really have to spell it out?

Ah, you mean under YOUR version of how it would be?...

your just popping down the chippy, get your bike out, cant find your numbered tabard, maybe its in the wash and you don't have a spare cause the government only issue you with one to stop fraud. Two choices, cycle illegally without your number on, or take the car...so you take the car.

a) I never said the government would issue them.

b) I never said how many you'd be allowed, ideally you should be allowed as many as you want, with your number on them.

c) There's more than two choices;

1. You could drive

2. You could cycle wearing your spare bib

3. If you can't find your spare either, you could cycle on the pavement http://road.cc/content/news/108119-transport-minister-responsible-cyclists-can-ride-pavement

4. You could walk

You want to pop to the shops but your rucksack would hide your numbered tabard, you'll be breaking the law, so you take the car.
Or you could don your numbered rucksack cover. If it's in the wash you could always don your spare rucksack cover.

mountain biking, but your camelbak hides your number. Too hot to go cycling without liquid, so you don't bother in case the police spot you.
Or you could just don your numbered cover, again.

Cycling along the beach, warmest day of the year, shirt off...oops that's illegal not displaying your number (unless its tattooed on your back maybe?).

Or you could just wear your summer vest.

Or, you could just stay at home, whining and hiding behind such excuses.

Every pedestrian cyclist and horse rider already has a unique identifying feature, its called your face. We are all fitted with one.
Doesn't work so well though, does it. If you report someone who was riding a bike, had two eyes and darkish hair, wearing a cycle helmet, chances are that he isn't going to be caught.

There's two cyclists (unconnected with one another) that I see pulling dangerous and illegal moves quite regularly, they're usually in front of me when I see them. If I could identify them from dashcam footage I wouldn't hesitate to report them, the same as i would if I saw a car committing the same offences.

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 21:06 ----------

Anything that reduces the attractiveness of cycling is a good thing,

Why's that?

And why is that a bad thing. ? cyclists are a menace on the roads .
No, some cyclists are a menace, just like some drivers are a menace.

That would be down to how much it costs, in my opinion. If it's cheap enough, it's not likely to be much of a barrier.

...in your opinion.

I think that if cyclists were identifiable they'd probably ride safer, knowing that there's more chance of them being reported if they can be identified.

It's my opinion that licensing would create a barrier to entry.

It's not an opinion that barriers reduce numbers and greater numbers results in greater safety.

In my opinion, it shouldn't apply to children under 16, as this tends to be the benchmark age when the law starts to see people as being legally responsible for themselves and their actions.

Criminal responsibility is from 12 isn't it.

Hire bikes? I'm not sure how cycle hire is mostly done. If over a counter, a marked bib can be handed over with the bike, temporarily linked with the person hiring the bike (showing ID upon hire).

Who pays for registration? Well, ideally, I think insurance and identification should go together. You pay for insurance (it's very cheap for cyclists) and you get a policy number. The policy number, or some version of it can go on the hi-viz bib, no need for an extra registration system then.

So now insurance has become compulsory, but not for people under 16 (or 12)... How bizarre, are they incapable of causing damage?

Policing? That would take place the same way that car reg numbers are policed, by police. The number system itself would be self-regulated (policy number and ID number the same).

The police have time to check bib numbers on cyclists?

These are just brief ideas, I haven't given it any deep thought and I don't claim they are foolproof.

These... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rucksack+cover+cycling&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=799&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=rrw2VP_MJ4bd7QbF6oDwDA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Insurance companies and no (see above for details).

I maintain that it's a stupid idea, for the many reasons already detailed.

I think it's worth highlighting, for those in favour of this idea, this paragraph from the article linked to in the OP:

A similar idea was dismissed by the RAC in 2006 as “impractical, bureaucratic and dangerous”. Carlton Reid, author of Roads were not Built for Cars and executive editor of BikeBiz, said: “It has been tried and is not something that has worked in any country ever.”

So the RAC think it's “impractical, bureaucratic and dangerous” and it's never worked in any country it's been tried in. Perhaps those in favour of the idea should be presenting solid reasons why rather than expecting those against to explain why not.