Cycle riders and licence plates

It's my opinion that licensing would create a barrier to entry.

It's not an opinion that barriers reduce numbers and greater numbers results in greater safety.

Therefore it's your opinion that it would reduce numbers and safety.

Criminal responsibility is from 12 isn't it.

No, Criminal responsibility (which isn't what I said) begins from age 10.

I admit I could have been clearer, in my opinion the age at which you would have to start wearing identification while cycling would be 16.

So now insurance has become compulsory, but not for people under 16 (or 12)... How bizarre, are they incapable of causing damage?

I've always found that kids tend to be the least dangerous cyclists, they tend to either coast or cruise along casually, or when going faster, look over their shoulder more often (in my experience).

I think that 16yrs is an age where people should be able to make an informed decision about signing their name to something and paying (even though it's only a small fee) for it.

The police have time to check bib numbers on cyclists?
As much time as they have for checking reg plates on cars

I maintain that it's a stupid idea, for the many reasons already detailed.
Would you mind highlighting those reasons (if I haven't already addressed them)?

I read the article but couldn't see any in there either.

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 22:29 ----------

There are few bad cyclists on our roads , as there are bad motorist. However perhaps if there was more mutual respect from both parties, our roads would be safer for us all.

That should go without saying, unfortunately not the reality though.

Ah, you mean under YOUR version of how it would be?...

a) I never said the government would issue them.

b) I never said how many you'd be allowed, ideally you should be allowed as many as you want, with your number on them.

c) There's more than two choices;

1. You could drive

2. You could cycle wearing your spare bib

3. If you can't find your spare either, you could cycle on the pavement http://road.cc/content/news/108119-transport-minister-responsible-cyclists-can-ride-pavement

4. You could walk

Or you could don your numbered rucksack cover. If it's in the wash you could always don your spare rucksack cover.

Or you could just don your numbered cover, again.

Or you could just wear your summer vest.

Or, you could just stay at home, whining and hiding behind such excuses.

Doesn't work so well though, does it. If you report someone who was riding a bike, had two eyes and darkish hair, wearing a cycle helmet, chances are that he isn't going to be caught.

There's two cyclists (unconnected with one another) that I see pulling dangerous and illegal moves quite regularly, they're usually in front of me when I see them. If I could identify them from dashcam footage I wouldn't hesitate to report them, the same as i would if I saw a car committing the same offences.

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 21:06 ----------

Why's that?

No, some cyclists are a menace, just like some drivers are a menace.

So now I'll need a vest, and a different rucksack cover to match the size of each bag that I've got, one cover does not fit all sizes. And for all this effort, what will it achieve?

Is the licence for the bike or the person riding the bike? If it's for the bike will I then need a separate vest and bags for each bike I've got, or if it's for a person, are you suggesting that it's a criminal offence for someone to borrow my bike to nip to the shops without registering for and then owning a bib/multiple bag covers.

Or, much more sensibly, we could require all new bikes to carry a clearly visible ID number.

Make the bike seller responsible for passing the number onto DVLA. Job done. No tabards, fees, rucksack covers or anything else. No barrier to riding.

Cheap traceability. Job done.

Or, much more sensibly, we could require all new bikes to carry a clearly visible ID number.

Make the bike seller responsible for passing the number onto DVLA. Job done. No tabards, fees, rucksack covers or anything else. No barrier to riding.

Cheap traceability. Job done.

But where abouts on a bicycle would you fit this ID number that would have to be large enough to be clearly visible.

But where abouts on a bicycle would you fit this ID number that would have to be large enough to be clearly visible.

Are you really so unimaginative?

They fit on cars, motorbikes, mopeds and sidecars. Why not cycles?

So now I'll need a vest, and a different rucksack cover to match the size of each bag that I've got, one cover does not fit all sizes.

No, you can get a simple elasticated one that does fit most sizes. Remember, it's not a rain cover, it's not to keep the contents of the bag safe, it's simply an (extremely cheap) identification format which requires no neoprene/goretex/carbon fibre/kevlar etc.

And for all this effort, what will it achieve?
If, by "all this effort", you mean as much effort as putting on a pair of socks or a vest, it will achieve easier means of identifying a cyclist.

This, will in turn, increase the likeliness of more responsible cycling which would in turn improve the safety of cyclists an other road users.

You never know, it might even improve the attitude of some arrogant motorists, toward cyclists.

Is the licence for the bike or the person riding the bike? If it's for the bike will I then need a separate vest and bags for each bike I've got, or if it's for a person, are you suggesting that it's a criminal offence for someone to borrow my bike to nip to the shops without registering for and then owning a bib/multiple bag covers.

I'm not suggesting anything about a license.

The identity number would be for whoever took out the policy, it would apply to them.

The law would have to decide what penalty or leniency applies to someone riding without one, as it does with most things like that.

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 23:48 ----------

Well, it's possible to fit them, just not very practical. Bikes tend to be thin, VERY thin sometimes.

Any kind of plate large enough to be seen clearly from several car lengths away would protrude at the sides and be prone to all kinds of damage/minor accidents.

Edited by RootsBooster
Typo error

Well, it's possible to fit them, just not very practical. Bikes tend to be thin, VERY thin sometimes.

Any kind of plate large enough to be seen clearly from several car lengths away would protrude at the sides and be prone to all kinds of damage/minor accidents.

They could go on the frame.

Have you not seen the size and frame shape of a bicycle compared to a car, motorbike, moped, sidecar.

Are you really suggesting we have car / motorbike sized number plates fitted to a bicycle.