Cycle riders and licence plates

If, by "all this effort", you mean as much effort as putting on a pair of socks or a vest, it will achieve easier means of identifying a cyclist.

Yes, because there's no effort in issuing unique numbers to millions of people all over the country, and then tracking those numbers somehow.

This, will in turn, increase the likeliness of more responsible cycling which would in turn improve the safety of cyclists an other road users.

No it won't. It won't improve road safety in the slightest, and if it proved to be a barrier to cycling, which it would, then it would actually reduce safety.

You never know, it might even improve the attitude of some arrogant motorists, toward cyclists.

I'm not suggesting anything about a license.

The identity number would be for whoever took out the policy, it would apply to them.

Taking out policies now. That's definitely a barrier to just buying a bike and cycling.

This is actively making the roads more dangerous for cyclists now.

---------- Post added 10-10-2014 at 07:26 ----------

They would be to pedestrians, CCTV and any vehicle that could overtake them.

Except when obscured by the cyclists leg...

Or, much more sensibly, we could require all new bikes to carry a clearly visible ID number.

Make the bike seller responsible for passing the number onto DVLA. Job done. No tabards, fees, rucksack covers or anything else. No barrier to riding.

Cheap traceability. Job done.

Would the number go with the frame or the parts?

what if I respray my bike frame? Would that make a difference? After all a red bike is radically different to a blue bike, and the colour is often the most indicative part - "sorry officer I didn't get the reg, but it was blue hatchback"

A bike is not like a car - one whole unit with maybe a few add-ons. A bike is a collection of parts added together. It's only at the outset of a buying a new complete bike that it is sold as one unit.

---------- Post added 10-10-2014 at 08:41 ----------

Not sure I understand your question. At the moment I'm brushing my teeth
internet addiction problems? gorra be in touch at every waking opportunity?

Police commissioner proposes ID for cyclists – but can't explain why or how.

She seems to have based her ideas on a Sussex Police statistic that in 3 years there were 1700 incidents that involved cyclists - but she has no idea what 'involved cyclists' means. The police think it relates to all incidents of any type where someone was injured or killed on a road and a cyclist was involved.

Anything that reduces the attractiveness of cycling is a good thing,

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 20:42 ----------

And why is that a bad thing. ? cyclists are a menace on the roads .

Drivers kills several thousand people a year in the UK; cyclists kill on average less than one. Do you want to classify a whole group as a menace, really?

Many countries used to have number plates for bikes and Japan still does but most have abandoned the idea.

Here is an interesting link.

http://ipayroadtax.com/licensed-to-cycle/licensed-to-cycle/

I've just been to Japan, I didn't see any "number plates" on the very many bikes that I saw.

I also noticed that they are very polite and there is little conflict between cyclists, pedestrians and motorists. They cycle on the pavement, on the road, through lights on any colour, and yet everyone seems to survive.

They also apparently don't suffer from bike theft, the highest security I saw was a built in wheel lock. Ie it stops the rear wheel turning, but doesn't stop anyone walking the bike away. They didn't fasten bikes to anything, or have to loop cables through all the removal parts.

---------- Post added 10-10-2014 at 09:58 ----------

Drivers kills several thousand people a year in the UK; cyclists kill on average less than one. Do you want to classify a whole group as a menace, really?

It's better to just ignore him, he makes no sense, he'll start ranting about lycra and then telling you how to cheat on your taxes if you engage with him.

To all those wanting ID plates, tax, insurance etc for cyclists, it'll never happen. All these things will reduce the uptake of cycling. In so doing so via the "safety in numbers" effect the risks to all road users will increase. Your proposals will cost lives.

More on safety in numbers here http://www.ctc.org.uk/campaign/safety-in-numbers

An ID plate won't make bad riders any better. Just like it doesn't stop bad motorists driving dangerously. It didn't stop the bell end who overtook into oncoming traffic this morning me whilst I was in the middle of my lane with my arm out indicating right, only to take the same right turn and wait 100yards further on in a queue of traffic. It doesn't stop the people texting away whilst driving. You may claim I can report these people to the police more effectively. I can't see the police following up on any of these cases if I did.

---------- Post added 10-10-2014 at 18:06 ----------

Furthermore, PCCs are ridiculous. They were designed to let whinging Daily Mail readers elect some idiot to wag fingers at the police, thinking they have a say in the way the police do their daily business, but in reality they have been used by political parties to get politicians they have no use for elected in these roles to spout the odd bit of party political nonsense or just nonsense in general, to keep the Daily Mail readers happy and take a nice salary and expenses to go with it.

The Greater Manchester clown, Tony Lloyd, was a failed labour politico. On taking up his £100k pa role, the first thing he did was create the £65k pa position of Deputy PCC, and appointed his campaign manager. Apparently, this shameless little wheeze has been repeated all over the country. He then, without a hint of self-awareness, proposed cutting police salaries by £4k to save money.

It would help if Katy Bourne had two brain cells to rub together. Reading this interview leaves little to be desired

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2014/oct/09/police-commissioner-proposes-id-for-cyclists-but-cant-explain-why-or-how

She has no better idea as to how such an idea is to be implemented than some of the wholly impractical ideas on this thread!

Yes, because there's no effort in issuing unique numbers to millions of people all over the country, and then tracking those numbers somehow.

As already explained, that would be taken care of automatically when the policy is taken out. No additional registration systems, no additional administration costs.

No it won't. It won't improve road safety in the slightest, and if it proved to be a barrier to cycling, which it would, then it would actually reduce safety.

You've decided to only quote part of what I said, thus taking it out of context. This is teh full works...

If, by "all this effort", you mean as much effort as putting on a pair of socks or a vest, it will achieve easier means of identifying a cyclist.

This, will in turn, increase the likeliness of more responsible cycling which would in turn improve the safety of cyclists an other road users.

You never know, it might even improve the attitude of some arrogant motorists, toward cyclists.

Having clarified that, would you say that more responsible cycling wouldn't improve the safety of cyclists and other road users?

Taking out policies now. That's definitely a barrier to just buying a bike and cycling.
It was policies from post #17, as you're well aware

This is actively making the roads more dangerous for cyclists now.
If it makes the roads more dangerous for cyclists somehow, it would be passively, not actively.