Cycle riders and licence plates

There are a couple that I regularly see run red lights on Langsett Rd, I've even tried speaking to them (when I inevitably catch them up). Despite the protestations from Monkey and Onewheeldave, they do it because they are too lazy to stop and then pedal again to set off, it's absolutely nothing to do with safety.

The drivers that I see do dangerous things endanger me and like the one yesterday (see other thread) knock cyclists off.

No evidence or figures then. No problem.

None from you either then? No problem.

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 11:02 ----------

When I cycle to work doing 30mph. I then hit a parked or moving car and then pedal off. Is that fair? People on bicycles cause damage each and every day not just to motor vehicles but to pedestrians then run off never to be seen again. Bicycles need to display some sort of ID to account for , running red lights , hitting pedestrians, going on pathways, damaging motor vehicles etc. . Simple

Bobby Nutt is in need of numbers to support your assertions here. Does this happen, if so how much and where's the evidence.

Otherwise I think we'll have to assume it simply doesn't happen.

It's simple numbers and I agree with Cyclone, it's a very small problem.

I don't believe for a second it's likely there will ever be any compulsory insurance/identification for cyclists, but that's the topic of the discussion and my opinion is that I wouldn't mind it.

As for the cost, I've expressed how I think it could be done with minimum spending (as I was asked to explain) and that still stands.

Anecdotally, I've had a cyclist hit my vehicle and do a lot of damage (to my car, his bike and himself), there's two cyclists I regularly see cutting corners and running reds. I've seen a cyclist nearly hit a person on a crossing (again, running the red) and I've even seen cyclists dangerously overtaking other cyclists.

Still, they are minorities, just like bad drivers. The majority of cyclists and motorists drive/cycle safely.

The thing is, Only a minority of motorists are a problem but we all have to carry insurance. If we dont then we legally cant drive on the roads. It should be the same for ever vehicle on the road. I do agree that bad cyclists are in the minority but like i say its the same for drivers. For the record i too haver had my car damaged by a cyclist on two occasions. One time it was a scratch the length of a door when he squeezed his way through a non-existent gap and the second he ended up under my front bumper because he came whizzing out into the road without looking stopping or giving a dam. I got breathalised questioned and delayed whilst the moron on the bike was treated like some victim despite the fact he was walking talking shouting and swearing by the time the first responder got there. Telling everyone how he was going sue sue me for 1000s and how hes badly injured :lol: Lucky for me i had a car cam and it caught the lot. There were also loads of witnesses who saw what happened but it was still a stressful time and I had to foot the bill for my bumper, undertray, airbox, and rad to be fix or replaced. All in all i got a bill the thick end of £800.

I will add that whilst car drivers are mostly good and safe i do regularly send footage to SYP of dangerous drivers so its not a one way thing with me.

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 11:08 ----------

None from you either then? No problem.

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 11:02 ----------

Bobby Nutt is in need of numbers to support your assertions here. Does this happen, if so how much and where's the evidence.

Otherwise I think we'll have to assume it simply doesn't happen.

Meeeeowwwwwww. :hihi:

Motorists have to carry insurance because when they crash into things they kill people and do thousands of pounds worth of damage. Which many wouldn't be able to cover if they were liable themselves.

Cyclists don't have this problem.

Why did you have to foot the bill? You should have taken him to small claims if you had the evidence you say you had.

That's what happens with car accidents if the insurance companies don't agree, and that's why insurance is compulsory.

Motorists have to carry insurance because when they crash into things they kill people and do thousands of pounds worth of damage. Which many wouldn't be able to cover if they were liable themselves.

Cyclists don't have this problem.

Why did you have to foot the bill? You should have taken him to small claims if you had the evidence you say you had.

That's what happens with car accidents if the insurance companies don't agree, and that's why insurance is compulsory.

Small claims court? Are you serious? lol. They send a bailiff round and then what? His bike was about 10 years old and his clothes looked even older. He stank like cat p**s and obviously had an allergy to soap so what would i have got at small claims court? £2.50 pm for ever and never?

Small claims court? Are you serious? lol. They send a bailiff round and then what? His bike was about 10 years old and his clothes looked even older. He stank like cat p**s and obviously had an allergy to soap so what would i have got at small claims court? £2.50 pm for ever and never?

What would have you done if the same bloke as damaged your car as a pedestrian?

The thing is, Only a minority of motorists are a problem but we all have to carry insurance. If we dont then we legally cant drive on the roads. It should be the same for ever vehicle on the road. I do agree that bad cyclists are in the minority but like i say its the same for drivers. For the record i too haver had my car damaged by a cyclist on two occasions. One time it was a scratch the length of a door when he squeezed his way through a non-existent gap and the second he ended up under my front bumper because he came whizzing out into the road without looking stopping or giving a dam. I got breathalised questioned and delayed whilst the moron on the bike was treated like some victim despite the fact he was walking talking shouting and swearing by the time the first responder got there. Telling everyone how he was going sue sue me for 1000s and how hes badly injured :lol: Lucky for me i had a car cam and it caught the lot. There were also loads of witnesses who saw what happened but it was still a stressful time and I had to foot the bill for my bumper, undertray, airbox, and rad to be fix or replaced. All in all i got a bill the thick end of £800.

:

Ok so for your first example, if the cyclist rides away then how would him having insurance make any difference? If you did get his details, then there are means of getting him to pay up, as others have stated . And in your second example it doesn't seem that obvious that the cyclist was at fault the way you describe it

Edited by gordius