Cycle riders and licence plates

Motorists have to carry insurance because when they crash into things they kill people and do thousands of pounds worth of damage. Which many wouldn't be able to cover if they were liable themselves.

Cyclists don't have this problem.

Cyclists dont causes 1000s of £s of damage? How much do you think it costs to respray and entire wing? Or a door? On some run of the mill eurobox itll still be a couple of 100 for a decent job. What if your car is something a little bigger? A little better? Say a Merc or a Jag? Or in my case a Nobel? Im just glad i got rid before cycle moron scratched my door. If hed scratched my Nobel id have been looking at a bill of over a grand. What about the cyclist who clipped a car door mirror last monday on Granville road? Knocked it clean off and carried on riding after a wobble that put him right into the middle of the road almost getting wiped out by an oncoming car. I know for a fact car door mirrors are bloody expensive on a newer car. They are electric, heated, some have indicators on them, they have motors in them. They cost a bomb.

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 11:27 ----------

What would have you done if the same bloke as damaged your car as a pedestrian?

He wouldnt have been able too seeing as flesh and bone isnt as strong as metal.

Edited by Bobby Nutt

He wouldnt have been able too seeing as flesh and bone isnt as strong as metal.

It's not hard to use your imagination a little is it?

Say you had to swerve to avoid the afore mentioned bloke because he was busy talking on his phone, and you damage your car, what would you do?

It's not hard to use your imagination a little is it?

Say you had to swerve to avoid the afore mentioned bloke because he was busy talking on his phone, and you damage your car, what would you do?

That didnt happen. Why do i need to use my imagination? Why arent the facts of what happened good enough for you? I just dont get your point im afraid.

Motorists have to carry insurance because when they crash into things they kill people and do thousands of pounds worth of damage. Which many wouldn't be able to cover if they were liable themselves.

Cyclists don't have this problem.

Why do electric assisted bikes that can propel themselves above 15mph need insurance?

They're not heavy and 16mph isn't fast. Most people can easily cycle faster than that or simply coast faster on an incline, with a bike weighing the same (I don't expect you to know the answer, just wondering if you do. I don't).

Why did you have to foot the bill? You should have taken him to small claims if you had the evidence you say you had.

That's what happens with car accidents if the insurance companies don't agree, and that's why insurance is compulsory.

I was in shock, after the loud bang and watching someone fly through the air from my windscreen/bonnet to land in a crumpled heap several feet away, I was only concerned for the cyclist. It never occurred to me until I got to work that there might be any damage to my car.

Why do electric assisted bikes that can propel themselves above 15mph need insurance?

They're not heavy and 16mph isn't fast. Most people can easily cycle faster than that or simply coast faster on an incline, with a bike weighing the same (I don't expect you to know the answer, just wondering if you do. I don't).

No idea, but guessing, they probably fall under some old regulation about scooters or something.

I was in shock, after the loud bang and watching someone fly through the air from my windscreen/bonnet to land in a crumpled heap several feet away, I was only concerned for the cyclist. It never occurred to me until I got to work that there might be any damage to my car.

Are you now channelling Bobby Nutt? Because he said he'd hit a cyclist and I asked why he hadn't reclaimed the cost in SCC. You didn't say you'd hit one at all. :huh:

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 11:46 ----------

That all depends on the damage

Well, duh.

And cars are likely to cause much more damage. What with them being heavier, faster and harder than bikes.

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 11:47 ----------

That didnt happen. Why do i need to use my imagination? Why arent the facts of what happened good enough for you? I just dont get your point im afraid.

The point isn't complicated. Pedestrians can cause damage to your car as well.

Why aren't you asking for them to be insured and have tracking numbers? :suspect:

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 11:48 ----------

Cyclists dont causes 1000s of £s of damage? How much do you think it costs to respray and entire wing? Or a door? On some run of the mill eurobox itll still be a couple of 100 for a decent job. What if your car is something a little bigger? A little better? Say a Merc or a Jag? Or in my case a Nobel? Im just glad i got rid before cycle moron scratched my door. If hed scratched my Nobel id have been looking at a bill of over a grand. What about the cyclist who clipped a car door mirror last monday on Granville road? Knocked it clean off and carried on riding after a wobble that put him right into the middle of the road almost getting wiped out by an oncoming car. I know for a fact car door mirrors are bloody expensive on a newer car. They are electric, heated, some have indicators on them, they have motors in them. They cost a bomb.

It sounds like you're the most unlucky driver I've ever heard of, multiple incidents with cyclists yourself and witnessing multiple others.

Forgive me if I treat your claims with a large dose of scepticism.

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 11:50 ----------

Small claims court? Are you serious? lol. They send a bailiff round and then what? His bike was about 10 years old and his clothes looked even older. He stank like cat p**s and obviously had an allergy to soap so what would i have got at small claims court? £2.50 pm for ever and never?

So now you're assuming that cyclists don't have the money to pay up.

My bike looks fairly old as well, and I don't wear a suit to cycle to work. I could buy your Nobel off you if I damaged it though, might even be tempted to do so, nice car.

No idea, but guessing, they probably fall under some old regulation about scooters or something.

Are you now channelling Bobby Nutt? Because he said he'd hit a cyclist and I asked why he hadn't reclaimed the cost in SCC. You didn't say you'd hit one at all. :huh:

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 11:46 ----------

Well, duh.

And cars are likely to cause much more damage. What with them being heavier, faster and harder than bikes.

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 11:47 ----------

Why aren't you asking for them to be insured and have tracking numbers? :suspect:

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 11:48 ----------

It sounds like you're the most unlucky driver I've ever heard of, multiple incidents with cyclists yourself and witnessing multiple others.

Forgive me if I treat your claims with a large dose of scepticism.

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 11:50 ----------

So now you're assuming that cyclists don't have the money to pay up.

My bike looks fairly old as well, and I don't wear a suit to cycle to work. I could buy your Nobel off you if I damaged it though, might even be tempted to do so, nice car.

I drove 27,000 miles last year, 18,000 the year before and 25,000 the year before that :)

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 11:54 ----------

I dont have her any more, i mentioned in an earlier post i no longer have her. Sadly (for me) ill health stopped me working and she had to go. I plan to get another at some point but id need a lottery win to get one right now. In a few years though? Who knows?

By the way i didnt assume anything about anyone, cyclist or otherwise. I was giving an accurate description of the cyclist who hit me.

Edited by Bobby Nutt

You didn't quote who you were responding to, I didn't know he'd mentioned someone had damaged his car and thought you were responding to me in post #70

Well, duh.

You stated this...

And when it's a car doing the clipping or scratching it costs far more to rectify the damage.
...as though it were a straight fact. I was just pointing out that it may or may not be true, depending on the circumstances.

You don't have to get all "DUH!" with me, it's just a discussion.

I know this question wasn't to me, but as far as I'm concerned, if anything moves fast on the roads, it's a good idea for it to be insured.

It's a straight fact that cars cause more damage if the situation is identical. Basic laws of physics.

That's why cars need insurance, and cycles and horses and sprinters don't.

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 12:01 ----------

I drove 27,000 miles last year, 18,000 the year before and 25,000 the year before that :

Do you see many cyclists on the motorways and main A roads then?