Chrismas spending

Ok just out of interest , we have always spent the same amount on each of our children each year ( if we spent £300 on one child then the rest got the same ) but as the children have grown up and the price of consumer goods / clothing increases yearly , how much does the average family spend per child ... as I said we used to spend around £300 per child when they were youngsters but they are all now 18 - 27 ( with the exception of my 2 youngest 9yrs + 11yrs ) so at what age do you start giving just a token gift ? my partner and i have 12 children between us and 6 grandchildren and even giving £100 per child and £50 per grandchild still totals £1500 ... then there are the nephews/ nieces / parents ............ struggling this year to keep our costs down without being stingy ........ any idea`s on whats a fair xmas box these days for young adults ?

Ok just out of interest , we have always spent the same amount on each of our children each year ( if we spent £300 on one child then the rest got the same ) but as the children have grown up and the price of consumer goods / clothing increases yearly , how much does the average family spend per child ... as I said we used to spend around £300 per child when they were youngsters but they are all now 18 - 27 ( with the exception of my 2 youngest 9yrs + 11yrs ) so at what age do you start giving just a token gift ? my partner and i have 12 children between us and 6 grandchildren and even giving £100 per child and £50 per grandchild still totals £1500 ... then there are the nephews/ nieces / parents ............ struggling this year to keep our costs down without being stingy ........ any idea`s on whats a fair xmas box these days for young adults ?

If times are tough then you should really say to the adult children that they shall not be receiving gifts this year so that you can make the day more special for the kiddies.

Get the two youngest something special and then use the money you would have spent on presents for adults to buy lovely food and make the day special for all your guests, adult or child.

If times are tough then you should really say to the adult children that they shall not be receiving gifts this year so that you can make the day more special for the kiddies.

Get the two youngest something special and then use the money you would have spent on presents for adults to buy lovely food and make the day special for all your guests, adult or child.

I`m lucky that I earn what would prob be termed as an "above average" wage BUT even so, there must be a point at which you stop spending on then like they were still children ........... I know for me growing up it was as soon as I left home. ... plus once the kids have flown the coop is it still acceptable for them to be asking for I-phones / PS3`s etc ?

Why do we give gifts at Christmas? Most people don't need them but I suspect that the finances of shop keepers and this country would fail if we did not spend money on imports from non christian country's at Christmas.

I confess my role models are Mr Scrooge and the Grinch.

No gifts in our household, has been like that for a long time. We do however have a family tradition where we buy tickets to an event to go to together. Great fun and a far better way to spend the money than on tat that gets chucked after a while.

I`m lucky that I earn what would prob be termed as an "above average" wage BUT even so, there must be a point at which you stop spending on then like they were still children ........... I know for me growing up it was as soon as I left home. ... plus once the kids have flown the coop is it still acceptable for them to be asking for I-phones / PS3`s etc ?

There is no way you should be buying an I-Phone or PS3 for another adult. I don't ask for anything from my family (I am 28).

If they are old enough to leave home, they are too old for big gifts. Even if you have the money to do this, I believe it is money wasted. Instead of the PS3 for the adult, why not spend that money on the children, or put that money in a savings account for university for the little ones?

If my Dad spent anything approaching the money required to purchase a PS3 on me for any reason, I would be hugely embarrased.

OP, sounds like your family is quite 'reconstructed' like that of my wife, so I know exactly what you mean. With good relations between all, it soon makes for a lot of people to 'buy for'.

I`m lucky that I earn what would prob be termed as an "above average" wage BUT even so, there must be a point at which you stop spending on then like they were still children
That point really is subjective, but really, it should be your or 'a' budget (or, well the "presents" portion of the overall Xmas budget). Else you're likely to always ramp it up year-on-year. Figure that budget line, then stick to it.

........... I know for me growing up it was as soon as I left home. ...
Which is how it should be. One of the many itemised costs of the total 'bill' for independence ;)

plus once the kids have flown the coop is it still acceptable for them to be asking for I-phones / PS3`s etc ?
Absolutely not. Edited by L00b

There is no way you should be buying an I-Phone or PS3 for another adult. I don't ask for anything from my family (I am 28).

If they are old enough to leave home, they are too old for big gifts. Even if you have the money to do this, I believe it is money wasted. Instead of the PS3 for the adult, why not spend that money on the children, or put that money in a savings account for university for the little ones?

If my Dad spent anything approaching the money required to purchase a PS3 on me for any reason, I would be hugely embarrased.

I tend to agree with you and both myself and my Partner have said that this year things will be different , I suppose a part of it for me is that although none of the children live at our home ( the 2 youngest live with my ex ) and the rest have all left home I feel guilty at not seeing them over Christmas due to this being the busiest time of the year ( and best paid time of the year) in my line of work so I`m always working away at xmas .... and I suppose out of guilt I`ve always tried to make up for this with gifts