Need some sorn car info please

i bought a car on the 29th of september and the owner sent the logbook off so i could keep the vehicles tax that expires in jan 2015 , ive only just had the time to pick the car up today , now its home if i sorn it will i lose the tax? , i dont need the car till the end of nov.

I haven’t read this properly getting late cant be bothered. Send the tax disk back and get a refund for any remaining months left on the disk.

so if i were to sorn a vehicle online thats taxed till next june,would i get an automatic refund ?
Provided that you are the recorded owner at DVLA at the time of SORN'ing it, yes.

Otherwise, the previous owner (still on record at DVLA) gets the refund.

That's what was getting some dealers' knickers in a twist on the run up to 01 October (many had apparently not changed the ownership details/put the part-ex'd cars on their forecourts on a 'trade register' or somesuch, to get the tax refunds - so the previous owners would be getting the auto-refunds on 01 October).

Spinning the thread a bit

We have a camper van which we don't use in the winter.

Is there a period of time which makes economic sense to SORN? - I guess its not worth it for one month because 'they' nick a months worth every time.

AND - How do we do it?

Will it be cancellation and a new application or suspension with a credit held by DVLA? or something completely different ;0)

ta

Is there a period of time which makes economic sense to SORN? - I guess its not worth it for one month because 'they' nick a months worth every time.

AND - How do we do it?

Will it be cancellation and a new application or suspension with a credit held by DVLA? or something completely different ;0)

ta

It's usually cancellation and you get money back for the complete months remaining..you can then apply for tax again ant any time.. I don't think they suspend and credit you when you reapply..

AND - How do we do it?

ta

You can pay the car tax month by month now via direct debit.

So in your case tax the car on the first of March and pay month by month over the summer.

Then (for example) when you lay it up over winter you declare SORN on the 30th September and cancel the direct debit.

That way they don't 'nick' a months tax or anything.

You can do all of this easily online.