Midwifes' are to strike 13/10/14

The politicians haven't awarded themselves the rise..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29098334

Neither have they rejected it. If they tear that up like they did the NHS agreement then we might have more respect for this bunch of overpaid thieving layabouts. But they wont because they are only in it for what they can screw out of the taxpayer

---------- Post added 13-10-2014 at 13:42 ----------

If we are to have effective governance then we need good people in politics. To get them we need to pay appropriately.

That is the usual standard total BS thats trotted out everytime chief execs pay is questioned. The quality of the person has no reflection on what they are paid.

Neither have they rejected it. If they tear that up like they did the NHS agreement then we might have more respect for this bunch of overpaid thieving layabouts. But they wont because they are only in it for what they can screw out of the taxpayer

As I said earlier we'll need to see who accepts the extra money...

As I said earlier we'll need to see who accepts the extra money...

Thats not the point, if we were truely all in it together the government would have simply rejected it, they havent so make of that what you wish. Just because they are hiding behind the excuse that someone else is forcing them to take it is petty. After all, who set the parameters that the award is based on, who populated the committee, who is pulling the strings?

but the reality is you don't get sacked from the NHS, you can get sacked by the electorate, as an MP, therefore there should be some allowance made for job stability.

Dont get sacked by the NHS???? REALLY???? Do you honestly believe that??

As for the MP's getting sacked by the public, I would love to be on their severence pay, pensions etc. Now lets see what does a retiring nurse get compared to a retiring MP?

As for job stabiltiy, I dont see anyone cutting back on the numbers of MP's although we damn well ought to be doing whereas public sector jobs are going left right and centre

Why not? What's stopping you?

How about the massive financial requirments, a voting system thats geared to only bringing in the major parties?

The whole thing is geared to getting the rich in so that they can get richer

---------- Post added 13-10-2014 at 14:01 ----------

It seems it costs 34K to become an MP

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/politics/9287782/could-you-afford-to-become-an-mp/

So thats well over the average salary for a start

Why not? What's stopping you?

Nothing stopping me except that I have no wish to be a politician. Also you are just passing the book as you know that the vast majority of people would not have the opportunity to do so. Even so you still can't blame people for when incompetents get voted in when only incompetents are available. The number of people who don't vote probably contains a significant number who won't vote due to there being no decent candidate or party.