Overseas people buying houses in Sheffield

Maybe it's time the government put a cap on this or only allowed people to buy property in the UK if you live in the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2790403/how-foreign-buyers-snapping-starter-homes-uk-advantage-booming-property-market.html

Britain is in the grip of an intense housing shortage. An estimated 240,000 new homes are needed each year in England, but only around half this figure is being built.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2790403/how-foreign-buyers-snapping-starter-homes-uk-advantage-booming-property-market.html#ixzz3G1dXXlZ0

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Plenty of British buyers buy property overseas so why change the rules over here??

Clearly if people are coming from overseas to buy property then there is good money to be made, so the question is why is there such a shortage of housing being built??

Plenty of British buyers buy property overseas so why change the rules over here??

Clearly if people are coming from overseas to buy property then there is good money to be made, so the question is why is there such a shortage of housing being built??

I suppose if you can control the supply you can control (to an extent) the price? OPEC for example?

Planning rules and land banking supermarkets?

Hahaha, I love this. Man, what would we do without the Daily Mail!

Those pesky foreigners buying flats for their studying children (you have noticed the advert was in Chinese, did you put that together with the boom of Chinese students in the city?) what right do they have! Man! I think we should bomb them all.

I will do my favourite game again when this topic comes up (housing shortage) -

How many houses are for sale in Sheffield under 60K this week Tim?

Well, let me tell you! according to Rightmove in S1 alone there are 30 student apartments for sale under 60K! In the whole of Sheffield there are 169 houses, flats and so on, take your pick!

In other words, get a grip. By the way, do you know why the UK economy is growing? Because there is inward investment, in other words, foreigners are putting money into the economy here. Without that, the economy would be flatter than a pancake.

Plenty of British buyers buy property overseas so why change the rules over here?

Because these foreign investors are buying with cash and not even renting them out, let alone living in them. This increases house prices, contributing to making it even more difficult for others to get onto the housing ladder.

At least when the Brits buy property in Spain, the majority of them do so to live or retire, not to buy swathes of property just for an investment.

Because these foreign investors are buying with cash and not even renting them out, let alone living in them. This increases house prices, contributing to making it even more difficult for others to get onto the housing ladder.

At least when the Brits buy property in Spain, the majority of them do so to live or retire, not to buy swathes of property just for an investment.

Do you know how many British owned flats/houses in Spain are empty over the summer? There isn't exactly a shortage of apartments in this country, hence the move by foreign investors to swoop up excess, once prices move they sell them on.

And what about legit buyers? When I did my MSc at the Uni I had plenty of Chinese/South Asian course mates that lived in houses owned by either their family or another student's.

They might not be doing that if the UK votes out of the EU though