More men face lonely old age, says study.

I have seen this report on the TV news, and read the media report online. It predicts the number of older men living alone in England will increase by 65% by 2030. What I don’t quite understand is the next bit in the report. By 2030, growing numbers of men will outlive their wives. What is known about 2030 onwards that is going to change the trend? Anyone got any theories?

Men are living healthier lives, drinking less, smoking less, and working in less dangerous occupations than their fathers did. Meanwhile women are living unhealthier lives, drinking more, smoking more (not sure about that one) and working more than their mothers did.

Erm no, women are still far more likely to out live their husbands (have you ever been to a nursing home?). Just that when the mrs dies poor old grandad is likely to visited less.

Men are living healthier lives, drinking less, smoking less, and working in less dangerous occupations than their fathers did. Meanwhile women are living unhealthier lives, drinking more, smoking more (not sure about that one) and working more than their mothers did.

The bit about men is correct. The bit about women is the usual HH rubbish. Women are not drinking and smoking more. If they were their life expectancy would be decreasing. Work usually adds to life expectancy as the affluence that comes from it provides a better lifestyle.

It's not good to write "not sure about that one" about your own argument as you're just admitting to talking out of ignorance.

Erm no, women are still far more likely to out live their husbands (have you ever been to a nursing home?). Just that when the mrs dies poor old grandad is likely to visited less.

Yes but the women in nursing homes today lived in past times when women didn't party as hard as their husbands, worked in less strenuous occupations, often part time, with long periods of time off when children were born if they even went back to work at all. It's todays women that are going to die before their husbands in many cases.

---------- Post added 13-10-2014 at 20:03 ----------

The bit about men is correct. The bit about women is the usual HH rubbish. Women are not drinking and smoking more. If they were their life expectancy would be decreasing. Work usually adds to life expectancy as the affluence that comes from it provides a better lifestyle.

It's not good to write "not sure about that one" about your own argument as you're just admitting to talking out of ignorance.

Maybe women aren't drinking (I think they are) or smoking (probably correct) as much as their counterparts were 40 or 50 years ago. But men are doing it a LOT less and women only a bit less. The difference between men and women has closed a great deal and this will result in the life expectancy narrowing a lot. There's no inherent reason that women should live longer than men other than lifestyle and behaviour.

Less men are getting married these days, they realise there's no need. The massive decrease of stress and strain achieved by remaining single has considerable emotional, physical and financial benefits to men. The upshot is they live longer happier lives. I think more and more men are simply refusing to sign the contract of marriage.

Yes but the women in nursing homes today lived in past times when women didn't party as hard as their husbands, worked in less strenuous occupations, often part time, with long periods of time off when children were born if they even went back to work at all. It's todays women that are going to die before their husbands in many cases.

---------- Post added 13-10-2014 at 20:03 ----------

Maybe women aren't drinking (I think they are) or smoking (probably correct) as much as their counterparts were 40 or 50 years ago. But men are doing it a LOT less and women only a bit less. The difference between men and women has closed a great deal and this will result in the life expectancy narrowing a lot. There's no inherent reason that women should live longer than men other than lifestyle and behaviour.

No they aren't, read the article, particularly 5th paragraph down and stop making things up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-29567565

I have seen this report on the TV news, and read the media report online. It predicts the number of older men living alone in England will increase by 65% by 2030. What I don’t quite understand is the next bit in the report. By 2030, growing numbers of men will outlive their wives. What is known about 2030 onwards that is going to change the trend? Anyone got any theories?

I think they just mean the amount of men outliving wives will increase, women will still be more likely to outlive their husbands, just not as likely as they used to be.

I wonder if the changing age difference at marriage will have an affect too. Isn't it the case that men are more likely to be older than their wives when they marry, but the likelihood of them being older has been falling.