Why do dishes have white film on them

You have just made a lovely bacon sandwich. You run the pan under a running tap , The pan starts to have white residue. This is the sun flour oil, Or Butter etc going from hot to cold. It solidifies. What the salt does is, Think of a sandblaster! It uses very fine grains of sand to clean. Think salt think dishwasher. lol

Lol. Salt is water soluble so no, this is not what it is for. Dishwashers which require salt have a built in water softener used to exchange calcium and magnesium ions with sodium. This has the effect of turning the hard water soft. As you no doubt know detergents perform less well in hard water due to the formation of insoluble salts.

As to the OP, yes you need to top up your salt levels AND rinse aid (this prevents salt spots forming).

jb

Lol. Salt is water soluble so no, this is not what it is for. Dishwashers which require salt have a built in water softener used to exchange calcium and magnesium ions with sodium. This has the effect of turning the hard water soft. As you no doubt know detergents perform less well in hard water due to the formation of insoluble salts.

As to the OP, yes you need to top up your salt levels AND rinse aid (this prevents salt spots forming).

jb

How come fish don't dissolve then? :huh:

With regards to all those who are saying there's too much salt, the manual for my dishwasher says that a white residue comes from hard water, in which case you should use salt.

We don't have any white residue so don't use salt.

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 13:24 ----------

How come fish don't dissolve then? :huh:
Because they aren't usually made from salt.

jb

I believe that's part of the science behind chip shop condiments.

Because fish are inconsiderately not made from salt (or vinegar), the chip shops have to provide it at a cost to their profit :(

Edited by RootsBooster

With regards to all those who are saying there's too much salt, the manual for my dishwasher says that a white residue comes from hard water, in which case you should use salt.

We don't have any white residue so don't use salt.

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 13:24 ----------

I believe that's part of the science behind chip shop condiments.

Because fish are inconsiderately not made from salt (or vinegar), the chip shops have to provide it at a cost to their profit :(

What concerns me (more than most things) is that salt is used for removing moisture. So how come sea dwelling fish are wet then? :huh: