Is it OK to pay disabled workers less than the minimum wage?

In regards of the scenario above; I think it sad that a man goes to war for his country, to return home injured and be told he is worth less than everyone else. That's what I found foul. Dressing this view up as sheer 'free market' rhetoric sickens me.

Argue for no minimum wage, or a minimum wage for all. Saying particular groups deserve less is the real problem.

Edited by Chris_Sleeps

And they will be incapable of doing the job at the same speed etc. as others.

Therefore companies will pay them less and the state will pick up the bill to compensate them to the minimum wage. Meanwhile they are happy to be working, which is what many want.

That seems perfectly logical. I wonder what all the fuss is about.

---------- Post added 16-10-2014 at 12:57 ----------

In regards of the scenario above; I think it sad that a man goes to war for his country, to return home injured and be told he is worth less than everyone else. That's what I found foul. Dressing this view up as sheer 'free market' rhetoric sickens me.

Argue for no minimum wage, or a minimum wage for all. Saying particular groups deserve less is the real problem.

Yes it is sad. Getting injured is sad. Unfortunately being competitive rarely allows for sentiment. If you don't compete in the market place you loose trade and have to lay off able and disabled alike. That's pretty much where Tesco is at the moment.

That seems perfectly logical. I wonder what all the fuss is about.

---------- Post added 16-10-2014 at 12:57 ----------

Yes it is sad. Getting injured is sad. Unfortunately being competitive rarely allows for sentiment. If you don't compete in the market place you loose trade and have to lay off able and disabled alike. That's pretty much where Tesco is at the moment.

Good job we have the Disability Discrimination Act, the Equality Act and the charter of Human Rights then isn't it? :cool:

This. ^^

We see people struggling by on minimum wage it isn't an especially generous one.

My other 'alf is in the forces and will retire soon (if he doesn't get Sierra Leone :shakes: ) and when he does he will be retrained for a civvy job.

People who have been injured often retrain so they can fulfill job roles.

If they can't do the job they choose one they can do or if they are restricted for all work they can work in a supported environment not be farmed out as cheap labour.

This fella was talking about mentally ill people.

It reminded me of the ice cream family who abused and went to jail.

I've had a think about this and can now relate better to the point he made. An example is an assistant I had in a library in the Netherlands, she had been long term unemployed due to a physical disability and nobody wanted to hire her as she had struggled badly with confidence as well as having mobility issues.

She got placed in the library with a government funded project to help people like her gain employment, the library paid a nominal fee (I believe it was around 3000 euro a year) with the government topping up her income to 11000 euro a year. After three years in the scheme she managed to secure a full-time job as teaching assistant: her confidence had grown enormously and she realised that her mobility was not an issue for working all day.

The scheme worked really well for her - if this is what Freud was talking about (in a one-liner) than I agree with him that this might well be a good initiative. The context of how this story broke is relevant as well.

The problem is that we don't get to the point where you can debate those sorts of solutions for people with disabilities that do make them a potential 'production' liability for some employers. Instead the debate gets shut down with screams of "sack him!". Pathetic really.

Good job we have the Disability Discrimination Act, the Equality Act and the charter of Human Rights then isn't it? :cool:

Indeed we do. Has that helped the 50% of disabled people who don't have a job? You cannot claim someone is being discriminated against if they cannot actually do the job. But it seems it is better for the PC bigrade to shout about equal rights etc rather than actually face up to reality.

There does seem to be the unfortunate use of the word "worth" in this very sensitive topic and taken out of context. Getting physically or mentally disabled workers productive requires resources beyond that of small businesses and should be a new cabinet office position, employment sector & education sector with improved clarity of rights.

Edited by SportsTrophy

There does seem to be the unfortunate use of the word "worth" in this very sensitive topic and taken out of context. Getting physically or mentally disabled workers productive requires resources beyond that of small businesses and should be a new cabinet office position.

I think the politico PC brigade would rather try to make capital out of the situation than actually face up to that reality.