When Sundays were special

I don't remember 50s Sundays but, even a couple of decades later they were still special. As you say a day of rest for most people.

Still, to me as a kid they were the worst day of the week.

Nothing open, nothing on telly (although we never had the telly on in the daytime anyway) Visiting relatives or them visiting us, same with mates so not many out playing (remember "out playing"?)

Also it was bath and early bed for school.. oh joy !!

Just two good things though, Sunday dinner and the charts on radio.

In the fifties I used to love the roast beef and yorkshire pud, with a background of Two way family favourites.

In the sixties it was horrible. For kids that is. For mum it was a chance to have a nap in the afternoon, but that meant we all had to just sit quietly. I remember even being frowned at for making a noise turning the page of a book.

All I really wanted was to listen to Radio Luxembourg, but there was only one wireless, an enormous thing which sat next to my stepfather's chair. Nobody else was allowed to touch it. We couldn't afford things like even a cheap tranny radio.

How deprived we were. And todays kids feel hard done by!

Lovely comforting memories of the early 50's doing my bit for the Sunday dinner usually chopping mint or peeling potatoes, listening to The Navy Lark, Round the Horn or Life With The Lions, aunts, uncles and cousin visiting or being visited. Then in the late 50's as a teenager singing along to Sing Something Simple (just to annoy my best friend) while we got ready to go to the Locarno, happy days.

Loved listening to ' The Clitheroe Kid ' on the radio whilst my mom cooked Sunday dinner and baked. :nod:

Hated having to go to Sunday school.............. awful place. :gag:

Yep - it was just the same for us, though like Minimo, "Two Way Family Favourites" was also a Sunday fixture, as was roast beef and Yorkshire pud. My brother and I would sometimes skip Sunday school and go trainspotting (near the Five Arches) or conkering, returning home with an innocent look as if butter wouldn't melt in our mouths.

Although not so much the 'day of rest' that it was, Sundays are still special in the sense that the pace of life slows down a little - it would be a pity if it became just like any other day.

Re. contributing to Sunday lunch... my task was usually podding the peas

or scraping new potatoes, sometimes chopping mint.

We all did something and helped Mum, my kids would grudgingly do something but these days they have loads to occupy them, we did out of boredom I think :hihi:

Oh that is so true. Is it the food or is it that our taste buds have changed with age?

hiya, sunday's special not when we were in our early teens when there were really nothing to do, no tv,no shops,no pictures,( cinema), yippee no school,when we were 16 the only thing that changed was we could use the snooker hall, no swimming baths.