When Sundays were special

Re. contributing to Sunday lunch... my task was usually podding the peas

or scraping new potatoes, sometimes chopping mint.

We all did something and helped Mum, my kids would grudgingly do something but these days they have loads to occupy them, we did out of boredom I think :hihi:

I forgot about podding peas, I remember sitting in our yard plucking chickens and then playing in the street pulling the guiders on the feet to make the claws move ugh

How about Sunday tea at Grandmas house, Out came the best china and the white linen then we had fresh baked bread and best butter accompanied by tinned fruit and juice to dip the bread in.

All this whilst trying desperately not to mark the best table cloth so that it could be put away without the need to wash it.:hihi:

Sundays, always the same. Going to the Arundal Club with me dad while mum cooked dinner. She made really good Yorkshire puds. Dad would sleep it off in the afternoon. Teatime usually sandwiches or salad followed by tinned fruit and carnation cream. It used to make me feel sick, still never buy tinned fruit. Entertainment later was Sunday night at the London palladium, tiller girls and Brucie. He seemed the same age then as he does now.

I remember when I got married and moved out Sunday dinner, steak and chips. My mother was horrified saying "that is not a proper sunday dinner". My Sunday dinner today was cheese n crackers.

Going to Wincobank & Blackburn WMC with my dad while mum cooked dinner. Having a sneaky sip of his Stones and pretending to play mini tote and bingo in the concert room (I wasn't allowed in the lounge lol). Taping the top 40 and trying to stop it recording before Bruno Brookes started waffling :)

I don't remember a lot of this by year but i remember some of the "traditions".

Kids out to play,Mother cleaning,father off to play pub football followed by a few pints. Sunday lunch on the table for 2pm(kicking out time i think) and then an afternoon nap on the sofa so we all had to play quietly.

Sarnies and fruit for tea listening to the Top 40 and always bath night before school.

I don't remember 50s Sundays but, even a couple of decades later they were still special. As you say a day of rest for most people.

Still, to me as a kid they were the worst day of the week.

Nothing open, nothing on telly (although we never had the telly on in the daytime anyway) Visiting relatives or them visiting us, same with mates so not many out playing (remember "out playing"?)

Also it was bath and early bed for school.. oh joy !!

Just two good things though, Sunday dinner and the charts on radio.

:hihi::hihi: That about sums it up.

And tea and toast whilst watching the antiques road show and taking the mickey out of 'em when they discovered their priceless plate was worth nowt.

Thank heavens for video rental shops, a few years later.

Early 70s for me.

Me and my mates would go down the park to play football. When the local pub closed at lunch time (Fox at Foxhill) Our dads would join us (half cut) for a game.

I always remember my dad would have in his blazer pocket a bottle of Babycham and Walnut Whip for mother.

After the game it was home for lunch, then dad would go for a kip.

Today the complaint you hear is, "we want more Sunday opening because we work all week" our parents worked all week and they didn't ask for Sunday opening, they accepted it for what it was. Nobody should have to work in a store or shop on a Sunday, they should be with their families