When Sundays were special

Today the complaint you hear is, "we want more Sunday opening because we work all week" our parents worked all week and they didn't ask for Sunday opening, they accepted it for what it was. Nobody should have to work in a store or shop on a Sunday, they should be with their families

hiya, complain when through the week mon-sat opening times were 11.00am-3.00pm and 5.00pm-10.pm. sunday, 12.00pm- 2.00pm and 7.00-10.00. thats what i remember, one in our local would sup up at five to ten on sundays to get home to see the flintstones on tv.

The 60s and early 70s were my childhood Sundays Ed Stewart on the radio in the morning followed by Family Favourites and out with my mates.

My Dad always went to the pub while Mum cooked the Sunday dinner then joined him for the last hour.

One local shop did open on Sunday but shut at lunch re-opening for a couple of hours at teatime.

I always went to the shop sometimes waiting for it to open for tinned fruit and carnation cream and both parents asleep during the afternoon, you couldn't make any noise as one was in the room asleep on the couch the other in bed.

Sunday mornings was wearing our "Sunday best" and a visit to grandma and grandads with our Dad.

Dad went to the pub with grandad.

Then home for Sunday lunch cooked by Mum.

After that we were dispatched to Sunday School...

We didn't realise at the time, but that was nooky time for Mum and Dad.:hihi:

A nice Sundays was by far the worst day of the week.

Get up early to do the gardening.

Chapel.

Dinner.

Family walk.

Sunday school.

Wash up

Homework.

Sunday Tea- stale bread-fruit salad-evaporated milk- china cups.

Bath.

Early bed.

Not allowed out to play.

No fishing.

No TV

Playground locked and all rides padlocked.

Council lorries parked on football field

Pubs and shops shut.

Day of rest, Day of oppression more like unless...

Wet Sunday

Lie in

Train set

Airfix kit

Sunday dinner.

Radio - comedy hour

TV- film matinee.

Baking

Sunday tea- bubble and squeak and cold meat.

Dr Finlay

Bath

Happy to bed.

Still love waking up to a wet Sunday!

Yep - it was just the same for us, though like Minimo, "Two Way Family Favourites" was also a Sunday fixture, as was roast beef and Yorkshire pud. My brother and I would sometimes skip Sunday school and go trainspotting (near the Five Arches) or conkering, returning home with an innocent look as if butter wouldn't melt in our mouths.

Although not so much the 'day of rest' that it was, Sundays are still special in the sense that the pace of life slows down a little - it would be a pity if it became just like any other day.

It is any other day. Many people working for basic rate and no double time. Mind you it's easy to forget the bad parts. Some outfits only have Christmas day off and they are working on that.

Today the complaint you hear is, "we want more Sunday opening because we work all week" our parents worked all week and they didn't ask for Sunday opening, they accepted it for what it was. Nobody should have to work in a store or shop on a Sunday, they should be with their families

Should the right not to work on a Sunday be restricted to those who work in a shop or store?

What about those who work in hotels, restaurants, pubs - should they be afforded the same rights?

When we were kids in the fifties,we hardly saw our Dad in the week as he worked shifts on the coalface. Come Friday evening however,the camping gear was piled into the car and we went to our favourite campsite in Youlgreave.

It was just a farmers cow pasture with no amenities except a cold tap in the farmyard,but we loved it as there was a pond to mess about in all day .

This occupied most weekends from early spring to late autumn,we were hardy then. I can't remember winter except that there always seemed to be snow to play in.

Can you imagine modern kids putting up without all their electrical doodads to occupy them?

Should the right not to work on a Sunday be restricted to those who work in a shop or store?

What about those who work in hotels, restaurants, pubs - should they be afforded the same rights?

Hotels, Pubs and possibly Restaurants have always had workers that work on a Sunday but not shops or stores that's a comparatively new innovation.

For me it was:

Get up

Sunday School

Dinner at my Nan and Grandad's with the family *Yorkshires etc* (minus dad and grandad who went to the pub)

Be in my room for most of the afternoon (inc listening to the top 40 *had to stop for tea*)

Bath

Listening to the taped part of the top 40 i missed.

Bed.