When Sundays were special

Hotels, Pubs and possibly Restaurants have always had workers that work on a Sunday but not shops or stores that's a comparatively new innovation.
Well, for as long as I can remember (back to the early 1950s), most off-licences have opened on Sundays, often for the same hours as pubs. Howcroft's in Stannington Road is one example.

Well, for as long as I can remember (back to the early 1950s), most off-licences have opened on Sundays, often for the same hours as pubs. Howcroft's in Stannington Road is one example.

My parent's off-licence was open 8am to 8pm on Sundays. The rest of the week it was 8am to 10 pm. That was in the late 1950s.

hiya, complain when through the week mon-sat opening times were 11.00am-3.00pm and 5.00pm-10.pm. sunday, 12.00pm- 2.00pm and 7.00-10.00. thats what i remember, one in our local would sup up at five to ten on sundays to get home to see the flintstones on tv.

I was brought up in pubs and in Sheffield last orders was 10.25pm and time was

10.30pm.

During the mid sixties i worked at the cafe in graves park,the first job i was given was selling ice cream and lollies from a rusty old Walls fridge.

After a while i graduated to serving behind the cafe counter, making sandwiches tea and coffee etc.

The high point of a sunday was Alan Freemans Top Of The Pops show on the light program, in those days not much pop was played so a whole hour show was a must listen.

In the winter months wet sundays were dire for a teenager, no doubt inspiring some of the lyrics to Black Sabbaths anthem Sabbath Bloody Sabbath .

---------- Post added 21-10-2014 at 20:57 ----------

I was brought up in pubs and in Sheffield last orders was 10.25pm and time was

10.30pm.

Sheffield, in the sixties and seventies pubs always shut a half hour early on a sunday night as my local still does,so time was ten on a sunday.

[quote=rockonvynil;10726696

---------- Post added 21-10-2014 at 20:57 ----------

[/color]

Sheffield, in the sixties and seventies pubs always shut a half hour early on a sunday night as my local still does,so time was ten on a sunday.

Yes you're correct, It was 10.30pm every night except Sunday when it was 10pm. :thumbsup:

1950's memories - Sunday roast - Yorkshire Pudding made in one big tin - served first with gravy

but leading up to that - memory of playing in the street on a Sunday morning.

All the windows steaming up on the houses down our street as Sunday dinners were being prepared - those cabbages needed a good two hours boiling! - the smell of the roast coming through the windows that had been opened to let out the steam.

the menfolk all in their suits to go for the Sunday drink waiting outside the pub for it to open...and then.....from the radios that could be heard through those same windows - .good bye Billy Cotton band show - hello Family favorites with Cliff Michelmore and his missus - putting together all the squaddies on National Service abroad in Aden and Germany and their families back home...