Forums are empty

For example, since you still seem to be confused.

Yes and I countered that with 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander' too....

---------- Post added 20-10-2014 at 12:42 ----------

A forum user with the appropriate set of user privileges might easily trace another user's place of work, for example, from an appropriate IP address. While SF's mods might all be friendly, cuddly and not at all stalker-like is that the case elsewhere?

An internet user might simply want to minimise their digital footprint and their capacity to have their everyday internet activity 'shared'. Given that you broadcast what are presumably your real name and image, you might dump those users in the box marked 'paranoid'. However, to return to your original post:

I'm sure you can now acknowledge the existence of reasons for proxy use, other than to be 'mischievous', even if you don't agree with them and/or fail to understand them.

The usual mod sanctions should deal with forum 'free-for-all' behaviour. That a forum zombie might return with an IP address that differs a bit from the one he had before usually doesn't make that zombie any less identifiable, at least in username terms. That the forum has a rule that multiple usernames aren't allowed, but bans on the basis of IP address and not (immediately) by using the mods' common sense, is a failing of the forum (if you agree with that particular forum rule).

If someone uses a forum (or other means of online communication) to indulge in illegal activity, the police can potentially identify that user whether or not a proxy has been used.

A banned user (Zombie) is not identified by user name, or IP address or common sense in isolation. We can't ban a user purely and simply because we 'think' they might be 'whoever'...that's nonsense. I'm not going into all the why's and wherefores of precisely what happens, but it's not as straightforward as you might think....it wastes a lot of time...AND is very frustrating.

But you all seem to think it's perfectly fine...:(

Yes and I countered that with 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander' too....

That isn't a counter at all.

Nor does it remove the reasons someone might use a proxy, which you had claimed not to see any justification for...

I think the point is, that if someone wishes to have more privacy, by using a proxy server, then there is no reason that shouldn't be possible or respected.

Most of us don't do that, but that's a choice not to.

what is a proxy server? I am linked via the works server, that's it ... or do I have a choice. I'm not being funny, but most of us don't work in IT and wouldn't know about proxy servers.

for the record, I've never signed up to Facebook or twitter, so guess have no real vested interest in an answer, just curious

That isn't a counter at all.

Nor does it remove the reasons someone might use a proxy, which you had claimed not to see any justification for...

Yes it is....(in my view anyway)....so the argument is....if you're a perfectly reasonable well behaved user, it's fine to have complete anonymity, in case someone abuses you.

By the same token it would be perfectly fine for someone trolling and abusing someone also having complete anonymity too!

You can't have it both ways.

Would you really expect an abuser to not try to hide their identity?

I can see that anonymity would 'sort of' work for someone paranoid about being abused. But even that isn't the answer.

And no, I still can't see why (apart from the single reason of being frightened of being abused) any other reason for total anonymity and using a proxy server. I suppose there might be a few, but I can't think of them. There's far more reasons not to in my view.

...A banned user (Zombie) is not identified by user name, or IP address or common sense in isolation. We can't ban a user purely and simply because we 'think' they might be 'whoever'...that's nonsense. I'm not going into all the why's and wherefores of precisely what happens, but it's not as straightforward as you might think....it wastes a lot of time...AND is very frustrating. ...

I know how it works and how it doesn't. Unless additional layers of complexity have been added in the last few years, it's not rocket science, however complicated you try to make it sound. Seriously, those who can't spot the multiple reappearances of our long-standing frequent flyers just aren't paying enough attention (which is fair enough, if you're not a regular user, but a bit of a failing otherwise).

Anyhoo, time to back away from the sub-topic of mods and their banning ways or lack thereof (wouldn't want to get the thread closed).

That's the point...you cannot 'easily' be traced!....So by your reckoning, a forum should just be a free-for-all, where anyone can say anything they like to anyone else, cos you're anonymous and can't be traced and you don't have to worry about it and can ignore it?....Oh, and how would the police trace them?....and lock these people up?

I'm afraid that's the 'bear garden' scenario I mentioned earlier. Would you really want that?

---------- Post added 20-10-2014 at 11:06 ----------

Of course it could happen. it might be your next door neighbour, the fella across the street....someone who's even been into your house for whatever reason...An ex husband/wife....There are a hundred and one possibilities why you might not be as anonymous as you think...

And even if your assertion is right, what about the perpetrator?

Anyway...twitter would fold tomorrow if everyone was anonymous....isn't that the point? Celebrities go on there to advertise their wares and make a presence for themselves....SF is entirely different.

Being totally anonymous and untraceable doesn't stop the forum from being moderated.

what is a proxy server? I am linked via the works server, that's it ... or do I have a choice. I'm not being funny, but most of us don't work in IT and wouldn't know about proxy servers.

for the record, I've never signed up to Facebook or twitter, so guess have no real vested interest in an answer, just curious

Every computer that is linked to the internet has what is called an IP (internet protocol) address. It's an identifier that says (in basic terms) where the user is located (only roughly)...a proxy server could be anywhere in the world and in effect uses a pseudo IP that hides your true identity and location. I'm sure there are others that could explain it in technical terms but what I've put is basically it.

Hope that helps :)

Yes it is....(in my view anyway)....so the argument is....if you're a perfectly reasonable well behaved user, it's fine to have complete anonymity, in case someone abuses you.

By the same token it would be perfectly fine for someone trolling and abusing someone also having complete anonymity too!

You can't have it both ways.

Would you really expect an abuser to not try to hide their identity?

I can see that anonymity would 'sort of' work for someone paranoid about being abused. But even that isn't the answer.

And no, I still can't see why (apart from the single reason of being frightened of being abused) any other reason for total anonymity and using a proxy server. I suppose there might be a few, but I can't think of them. There's far more reasons not to in my view.

Are you saying you want everyone to use their real name on forums?

Every computer that is linked to the internet has what is called an IP (internet protocol) address. It's an identifier that says (in basic terms) where the user is located (only roughly)...a proxy server could be anywhere in the world and in effect uses a pseudo IP that hides your true identity and location. I'm sure there are others that could explain it in technical terms but what I've put is basically it.

Hope that helps :)

yeah, thanks, that's probably as much as I need to know.

I still stand by my view that Average Joe Public wouldn't know about all of this