Forums are empty

Are you saying you want everyone to use their real name on forums?

Ummmm...No....Where did I say that?....My assertion is that a username...(other than your real name)..should you wish (as most do) is more than enough anonymity. Given that your email address, real address, IP, or any other information is NOT readily available to anyone except mods and admin, and we are strictly bound by the data protection act, and it's rigorously enforced.

EDIT: Actually...It's not available to mods either....Just bits of it...

Edited by PeteMorris

Ummmm...No....Where did I say that?....My assertion is that a username...(other than your real name)..should you wish (as most do) is more than enough anonymity. Given that your email address, real address, IP, or any other information is NOT readily available to anyone except mods and admin, and we are strictly bound by the data protection act, and it's rigorously enforced.

Ah OK... so you're against proxy servers etc? Sorry just had a bit of trouble following your points.. so, who made mods/admins better than the rest of us? As you can all post on threads what's to stop you using the info you have to "go one step further" with anyone you violently disagree with?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yes it is....(in my view anyway)....so the argument is....if you're a perfectly reasonable well behaved user, it's fine to have complete anonymity, in case someone abuses you.

By the same token it would be perfectly fine for someone trolling and abusing someone also having complete anonymity too!

You can't have it both ways.

Would you really expect an abuser to not try to hide their identity?

I can see that anonymity would 'sort of' work for someone paranoid about being abused. But even that isn't the answer.

And no, I still can't see why (apart from the single reason of being frightened of being abused) any other reason for total anonymity and using a proxy server. I suppose there might be a few, but I can't think of them. There's far more reasons not to in my view.

I suppose it comes down to, you either trust the anonymous admin and moderators of this forum with some information that makes you traceable or you don't.

---------- Post added 20-10-2014 at 13:47 ----------

How do other users know that one of them isn't going to take offense at something said and use their status to track them down?

Ah OK... so you're against proxy servers etc? Sorry just had a bit of trouble following your points.. so, who made mods/admins better than the rest of us? As you can all post on threads what's to stop you using the info you have to "go one step further" with anyone you violently disagree with?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

One step further?.....In what way?....As you will know very well, mods aren't plucked out of thin air.....they are invited after demonstrating a history of behaving!....yes any one of us, if we so wished could abuse that trust...But so could your bank manager, or indeed doctor or doctors receptionist etc...

I didn't and have never asserted that mods or admin are 'better' than anyone else. It's a position of trust...and I for one, wouldn't abuse that trust, no matter what the provocation. I take it seriously.

Yes I probably post a hell of a lot more than other mods. That's my choice. Yes I get the occasional stick for it....Ho-hum!

Oh and could you post in English?...It's against the rules to post in other languages...:hihi::hihi::hihi:...(Sorry couldn't resist)

One step further?.....In what way?....As you will know very well, mods aren't plucked out of thin air.....they are invited after demonstrating a history of behaving!....yes any one of us, if we so wished could abuse that trust...But so could your bank manager, or indeed doctor or doctors receptionist etc...

I didn't and have never asserted that mods or admin are 'better' than anyone else. It's a position of trust...and I for one, wouldn't abuse that trust, no matter what the provocation. I take it seriously.

Yes I probably post a hell of a lot more than other mods. That's my choice. Yes I get the occasional stick for it....Ho-hum!

Oh and could you post in English?...It's against the rules to post in other languages...:hihi::hihi::hihi:...(Sorry couldn't resist)

You seem to think it OK for admins/mods to be able to ID someone on here if they want to...why should anyone trust you more than any other poster?

Yes it is....(in my view anyway)....so the argument is....if you're a perfectly reasonable well behaved user, it's fine to have complete anonymity, in case someone abuses you. ...

You can't have complete anonymity, but, yes, if you're a perfectly reasonable well-behaved user it's fine to have the right to select some degree of online privacy.

By the same token it would be perfectly fine for someone trolling and abusing someone also having complete anonymity too!

You can't have it both ways.

Would you really expect an abuser to not try to hide their identity?

If someone is trolling or being abusive on a forum then it should be stomped on immediately by the mods. It's the activity that prompts the ban, whether or not that user can be identified to any degree by the IP address. In most cases of everyday dickish forum behaviour, the identity of the forum user behind the username isn't important anyway.

If the abusive behaviour is sufficient to involve the police, then the protection of a dynamic IP address or proxy server might not be sufficient to hide the abuser's identity.

I can see that anonymity would 'sort of' work for someone paranoid about being abused. But even that isn't the answer.

And no, I still can't see why (apart from the single reason of being frightened of being abused) any other reason for total anonymity and using a proxy server. I suppose there might be a few, but I can't think of them. There's far more reasons not to in my view.

You don't have to think of them; I've mentioned at least one additional reason above.

Ha! Given that anyone anywhere can set up a forum, and not all mods and admins are paragons of virtue, that genuinely made me chuckle.

Given that having a look at IP addresses and, consequently, ISPs is often a standard mod activity, many of those posting from work, for example, broadcast their location to a forum's mods with every post.

So you trust nobody with anything?....I'd go and close your bank account immediately....Someone might run off with your hard earned!

This isn't an argument to not protect your identity online if you feel particularly at risk.

You're basically belittling or dismissing the possible reasons to behave like this, which doesn't alter those reasons, but just shows a lack of empathy and understanding on your part.

I suppose it comes down to, you either trust the anonymous admin and moderators of this forum with some information that makes you traceable or you don't.

---------- Post added 20-10-2014 at 13:47 ----------

How do other users know that one of them isn't going to take offense at something said and use their status to track them down?

You answered your own question above....you don't know! But I presume your doctor knows all about you...your bank knows all about you....I don't know any more information about you, other than your user name how many posts you've made and when you joined....I'm simply not interested in anything further...