Good ethics for large companies

I was listening to a report on Radio 4 sometime ago about charity Christmas cards, and Ikea were one of the very few companies to donate all of the money from the sale of their cards to the charity they nominated. Boots, WHSmiths came out at the bottom donating as little as 20% as far as I remember.

---------- Post added 21-10-2014 at 16:48 ----------

I'm not sure that's their objective, but certainly being a market leader in their respective field would be something that most businesses would like

Didn't someone on here say the other day that mighty oaks grow from small acorns? If you ran a small business and another business open up next door offering the same service, you're not going to be very happy

Didn't someone on here say the other day that mighty oaks grow from small acorns? If you ran a small business and another business open up next door offering the same service, you're not going to be very happy

or alternatively rise to the challenge and innovate your way to providing a better service than your neighbour

or alternatively rise to the challenge and innovate your way to providing a better service than your neighbour

That's what I'm saying. You're going to try and out do your competitor and preferablt force them out of business giving you a monopoly. Economies of scale

Yes it was Coutts / Aspinal who said that, but to be honest I'd take what he says with a very large pinch of salt.

Businesses are not there for ethics. They are there to make a profit.

What they do with their profits afterwards is reliant on how much profit they make and how the people who own it want to spend it.

Thankfully, you are totally wrong.

I'm glad to report that in today's world business and ethics are inseparable and the eyes of the world are on all businesses. It's great. Look what's happened to Tesco after they jumped in feet first with the workfayre programme.

Edited by Mr Bloom