Does marriage matter?

My words were "essentially bankrupt" I didn't mean bankrupt in the literal sense it was a figure of speech. In the essence of being bankrupt. Read what I put before getting on your picky high horse

In what way would owning half the company be essentially bankrupt?

What Shares?

What shares?

What dividends?

It's an odd kind of company if there are no shares, not publicly traded or anything, but they exist. If it doesn't pay dividend then presumably you take a salary, this is less tax efficient than dividends. If you don't take enough for it to be less tax efficient, then the business isn't exactly a roaring success is it.

Of course it's not fair, my wife had no chance of making anywhere near as much money as I have done. Her "career" involved working as a medical secretary. I have kept her in a very good manner and still do.

And she enabled you to do that.

I am pleased I did not divorce now and if nothing else the iniquity of the divorce laws means that I was less willing to leave her and therefore in some small part, kept us together. I suppose I am grateful for that. If I didn't still love and care for her it would be a nightmare.

I'm glad that divorce law is as it is, it seems entirely fair to me that assets gained after marriage are split equally (ish) if you separate. And it applies both ways, not just from men to women.

In what way would owning half the company be essentially bankrupt?

You make some assumptions don't you? Not accurate, but you do make assumptions!

It's an odd kind of company if there are no shares, not publicly traded or anything, but they exist.

If it doesn't pay dividend then presumably you take a salary, this is less tax efficient than dividends. If you don't take enough for it to be less tax efficient, then the business isn't exactly a roaring success is it.

Who said I was tax efficient?

And yes it is successful.

And she enabled you to do that.

No she didn't it is my business. She has barely set foot on the premises apart from occasionally to drop me off in the cars I have bought for her

I'm glad that divorce law is as it is, it seems entirely fair to me that assets gained after marriage are split equally (ish) if you separate. And it applies both ways, not just from men to women.

Don't care which way round it is, although it is usually men paying women.

It really isn't fair at all. I recognise that nothing in the world is fair, but I dislike that they moved the goal posts after the "contract was made".

(BTW they obviously didn't actually literally move any actual goalposts, just a figure of speech in case you pick me up on my football metaphor (or is it a simile? cant remember) E&OE)) are there enough disclaimers on this post yet? :hihi:

No she didn't it is my business. She has barely set foot on the premises apart from occasionally to drop me off in the cars I have bought for her

It really isn't fair at all. I recognise that nothing in the world is fair, but I dislike that they moved the goal posts after the "contract was made".

(BTW they obviously didn't actually literally move any actual goalposts, just a figure of speech in case you pick me up on my football metaphor (or is it a simile? cant remember) E&OE)) are there enough disclaimers on this post yet? :hihi:

You'll have to forgive Cyclone, because he has access to Google he now is intimate with every detail of your finances and your marriage. Even though you think you know he actually knows better

You'll have to forgive Cyclone, because he has access to Google he now is intimate with every detail of your finances and your marriage. Even though you think you know he actually knows better

He doesn't even seem to use Google too effectively either.

He hasn't and no doubt won't accept that he is wrong. Let alone admit it on here.

I've forgiven him for most of what he said.

---------- Post added 23-10-2014 at 22:53 ----------

To be fair he hasn't directly called me a liar, but the implication is there.

where did what go wrong? Life, relationship or your post? If you mean the last of these, it went wrong with your aunt assuming all separated dads seeing their kids at the weekend are single because they had no time for family and have only themselves to blame for now being estranged from their kids. Or at least that what the last part of the post implies to me.

If you can show how I stupidly misinterpreted, I'll happily post up an apology.

People in Liverpool actually talk to each other in the park. A fact I tend to forget needs mentioning in this location

It's such an unlikely assertion that I've asked for details of how it can happen.

So far no details have been forthcoming. :roll:

---------- Post added 24-10-2014 at 07:31 ----------

Feel free to correct them. You know, so that your claims actually make sense.

A claim that doesn't match up with the claim about it going "essentially bankrupt" were it to become half owned by your wife.

Being at the business premises is nothing to do with enabling you.

It's totally fair.

They didn't move them at all, just clarified where they stood.

---------- Post added 24-10-2014 at 07:31 ----------

He doesn't even seem to use Google too effectively either.

He hasn't and no doubt won't accept that he is wrong. Let alone admit it on here.

I've forgiven him for most of what he said.

---------- Post added 23-10-2014 at 22:53 ----------

To be fair he hasn't directly called me a liar, but the implication is there.

I'm just trying to understand how such an unlikely combination of statements can be true.

Oh, and I disagree with the conclusion that you draw about what is fair regarding divorce.

---------- Post added 24-10-2014 at 07:32 ----------

People in Liverpool actually talk to each other in the park. A fact I tend to forget needs mentioning in this location

Your aunty goes around questioning men with children in the park as to their marital status... :rolleyes:

They do, sadly.

I was walking through Newsham park (between Tuebrook and Kensington) a few years ago when some horrific little gutter urchins and their friends decided they would make a nuisance of themselves and start harassing me on my walk through the park.

Yes, people in Liverpool do talk to each other in parks. Unfortunately, it's almost always the wrong sort :roll:

I'll stick to Sefton Park next time :)

You are entitled to your view that you think the divorce laws are fair without knowing my circumstances and how they would have unfairly affected me had I gone down that route. I am not prepared to disclose any further details about my finances and business set up.

They may be fair in some circumstances but they are not in mine.

Do you not think I would have looked into it had I been considering it? You may just have to accept that some one on SF may have actually been telling the truth.

I accept that you are being truthful about your opinion.

The rest of your claims make little sense though, and since you refuse to explain I'm going to assume that your either mistaken or exaggerating to support your opinion.

It's not like I've asked for private financial details, just explain in the general hypothetical case, how transferring 50% of the ownership of a business can cause it to become effectively bankrupt.

I accept that you are being truthful about your opinion.

The rest of your claims make little sense though, and since you refuse to explain I'm going to assume that your either mistaken or exaggerating to support your opinion.

It's not like I've asked for private financial details, just explain in the general hypothetical case, how transferring 50% of the ownership of a business can cause it to become effectively bankrupt.

Okay. Thank you.