Tebbit says young unemployed should pull weeds for benefits.

It's also obvious that people will find work faster if they treat looking for a job as a full time job. How can their chance of finding work increase if they are spending less time looking for a job?? :huh:

What makes you think that someone in employment would spend less time looking, employers also prefer to employ people that are already in work and they tend to avoid the long term unemployed, in many cases the long term unemployed won't even get an interview.

I'm talking about someone who has paid their NI and is still within the first 6 months of cover it provides. Those people should be doing everything they possibly can to find work........real work!

If you had followed the thread you would have known that I already agreed with this.

Why would you want a fully qualified accountant (just an example *other professions are suitable)picking weeds instead of looking for work??

I haven't said that I want fully qualified accountants picking weeds instead of looking for work.

What makes you think that someone in employment would spend less time looking, employers also prefer to employ people that are already in work and they tend to avoid the long term unemployed, in many cases the long term unemployed won't even get an interview.

Again, that's not necessarily true. It totally depends on the candidates CV and suitability for the job. Technically, they are not employed if they are doing community service for their benefits. I do t think a 2 month period of pulling weeds would look good (or even be included) on the CV of a sales manager!:roll:

Can anyone tell me where these weeds that need picking are, Westminster maybe?

Tebbit's the dregs, maybe if he concentrated on institutionalized paedophilia and rape which he knew about, people may just take him seriously, maybe. Maybe that wouldn't have been in his best interest though.

---------- Post added 27-10-2014 at 19:09 ----------

Again, that's not necessarily true. It totally depends on the candidates CV and suitability for the job. Technically, they are not employed if they are doing community service for their benefits. I do t think a 2 month period of pulling weeds would look good (or even be included) on the CV of a sales manager!:roll:

If you have a degree and reduced to stacking shelves at Netto then picking weeds isn't going to curry you much favour. It's a terrible idea.

Again, that's not necessarily true. It totally depends on the candidates CV and suitability for the job.
That's right and if two people have the right qualification for the job but one is in work whilst the other as been out of work for 12 months, the one in work will more than likley be the one that gets the job.

Technically, they are not employed if they are doing community service for their benefits. I do t think a 2 month period of pulling weeds would look good (or even be included) on the CV of a sales manager!:roll:

I haven't said they should do community service for their benefits, I said they should be employed and be paid for that employment. Even then a candidate that as demonstrated that they can get up every morning and do a days work pulling weeds is still more likley to be employed than one that as done no work for 12 months.

That's right and if two people have the right qualification for the job but one is in work whilst the other as been out of work for 12 months, the one in work will more than likley be the one that gets the job.

I haven't said they should do community service for their benefits, I said they should be employed and be paid for that employment. Even then a candidate that as demonstrated that they can get up every morning and do a days work pulling weeds is still more likley to be employed than one that as done no work for 12 months.

Are you talking about the long term unemployed, or short term? Are you saying that anyone who wants JSA should work for it, or just those who have been unemployed for longer that, say the 6 month period that their NI covers them for?