Is it acceptable for non Muslims to wear burkas?

They are not forced by law but by expectation. A significant number of women have this imposed on them and a still greater number of people lacked the balanced upbringing to give them a balanced view on the wearing of the burkha.

You are absolutely right, it predates Islam by centuries. Mary Mother of God is depicted wearing a hijab.

This practice is now heavily intertwined in Islamic culture. You can't deny this.

I think you mean Mary, mother of Jesus. In islam God has no mother. ;)

Just as you can't deny that the overwhelming majority of Muslim women don't wear a burqa.

Has to be said the proportions are very much in the minority. You're more likely to see a Muslim woman wearing makeup, short skirt and showing cleavage, especially present generation.

Give me a Turkish beach to Skeggy any day. :twisted:

I dont think this is the place for your nocturnal pleasures to be aired BF , you maybe need a forum more tailored to your needs. ;)

:blush::cry::blush:

---------- Post added 26-10-2014 at 17:48 ----------

Yeah, that's always going to be a prime consideration for any bank; I guess they have to weigh that up against any security concerns they have relating to clothing that obfuscates identity.

Personally I believe they should be perfectly entitled to do so, but I don't believe it should be a matter for the government to meddle in.

Has to be said the proportions are very much in the minority. You're more likely to see a Muslim woman wearing makeup, short skirt and showing cleavage, especially present generation.

Give me a Turkish beach to Skeggy any day. :twisted:

:hihi: too true ;)

I dare wager that the majority of people saying burqas are worn involuntarily in this country have never spoken with anyone wearing a burqa.

If the culture demands it, why is it banned at Hajj?

Any covering of the face is banned at Hajj, I believe it is because the ladies are supposed to reveal themselves to Allah. Perhaps someone can confirm/contradict me.

However, Hajj is a once in a lifetime thing, the rest of the time there is heave expectation for significant minority of people to wear it.

Also, the culture built up around a religion doesn't always follow the text. Culture has a wide variety of external influences. Whilst pan Islamic culture is certainly influenced most by the Qu'ran and the Sunnah they aren't the only influences.

Just as you can't deny that the overwhelming majority of Muslim women don't wear a burqa.

Indeed I can't, it would be stupid of me. Of course it is only a minority that have to wear a Burkha. My point on this post was to ask should the freedoms of the majority (anyone who wants to wear a burkha) be slightly curtailed to protect a vulnerable minority (people forced to wear the burkha). There is a valid argument to say yes.

I think you mean Mary, mother of Jesus. In islam God has no mother. ;)

In atheism there is no God, so by extension no God's mother. That's a small amount of agreement over religious matters that an Atheist and a Muslim agree on. I feel like we are teaching the world to sing.

Any covering of the face is banned at Hajj, I believe it is because the ladies are supposed to reveal themselves to Allah. Perhaps someone can confirm/contradict me.

However, Hajj is a once in a lifetime thing, the rest of the time there is heave expectation for significant minority of people to wear it.

Also, the culture built up around a religion doesn't always follow the text. Culture has a wide variety of external influences. Whilst pan Islamic culture is certainly influenced most by the Qu'ran and the Sunnah they aren't the only influences.

Indeed I can't, it would be stupid of me. Of course it is only a minority that have to wear a Burkha. My point on this post was to ask should the freedoms of the majority (anyone who wants to wear a burkha) be slightly curtailed to protect a vulnerable minority (people forced to wear the burkha). There is a valid argument to say yes.

In atheism there is no God, so by extension no God's mother. That's a small amount of agreement over religious matters that an Atheist and a Muslim agree on. I feel like we are teaching the world to sing.

An atheist doesn't necessarily believe that there is no God and/or no God's mother. Let's not digress into that though, there's a whole other bunch of threads already open on it.

Plenty to go round as i buy in bulk in readiness for any thread that mentions Muslims/Islam/Burka or Immigration ,as you can always guarantee the Lefties will turn up to play the race card .

They do play it a lot ive noticed lol. But on the flip side so does everyone to a degree. Example being your comment about the lefties playing the race card, i mean, isnt that sort of playing the race card first? A pre-emptive strike almost?

Actually, sod all that. I want some popcorn.

I HATE LEFTIES!!

I HATE MUSLIMS!

BURKAS ARE OPPRESSIVE! :lol:

I think this whole 'lefties playing the race card' thing is just something you've managed to convince yourselves of. Unless, of course, you mean somebody calling out racism when it occurs.

Can you give any examples of these posts, since it's such a prolific practice?

I think this whole 'lefties playing the race card' thing is just something you've managed to convince yourselves of. Unless, of course, you mean somebody calling out racism when it occurs.

Can you give any examples of these posts, since it's such a prolific practice?

ERm. What you having a go at me for? I think you misread my post :hihi: