Is it acceptable for non Muslims to wear burkas?

Why do you think that?

Perhaps he agrees with Dr Taj Hargey Imam of the Oxford Islamic Congregation and Director of the Muslim Educational Centre of Oxford, who launched a campaign in July this year to ban the burka in the UK.

Interesting quote from Dr Hargey.

" It is forbidden for Muslim women going on pilgrimages to Mecca to cover their faces. So if such a pre-Islamic practice is banned in Islam's holiest site, why on earth would it be required on the streets of Britain?"

Good question, anyone got a reasonable answer?

Perhaps he agrees with Dr Taj Hargey Imam of the Oxford Islamic Congregation and Director of the Muslim Educational Centre of Oxford, who launched a campaign in July this year to ban the burka in the UK.

Interesting quote from Dr Hargey.

" It is forbidden for Muslim women going on pilgrimages to Mecca to cover their faces. So if such a pre-Islamic practice is banned in Islam's holiest site, why on earth would it be required on the streets of Britain?"

Good question, anyone got a reasonable answer?

It's that age old feature of British life...freedom of expression. The doctor clearly has little appreciation of that.

It's that age old feature of British life...freedom of expression. The doctor clearly has little appreciation of that.

Why don't you tell that to Stephen Gough an ex Royal Marine who has spent years in prison for attempting to exercise his freedom of expression in this country?

See post 102 above if you don't know who he is.

What's hypocritical about it?

I don't see the hypocrisy here my friend

How is it hypocritical?[/Quote]Does the expression 'NIMBY' ring any gell with you? Thanks for proving my point so eloquently. Now be good lads and don't forget to vote for the Brexit.

The simple answer to the question is it should either be acceptable to everybody or nobody.....No middle ground discriminating on the basis of religion or colour.

I personally don't like the garments (burkas?) that hide all the face, because I don't believe there's a place for them in a western democracy like ours.

Communication and recognition are carried out by looking at the face, by covering the face up communication and recognition become much more difficult.

Muslims have come to this country for a better life, they need to make some compromises that suit a western democracy.

Regards

Doom

You said the UK government was being hypocritical. It isn't.

Are you now claiming that you were saying we were being hypocritical? If so, you're still wrong.

I'm saying your respective posts show you three to be as hypocritical as the UK Government: call it for what it is, an outright derogation of duty doubling as a convenient political scoring exercise, rather than shamelessly claim (and, per your three posts, agree/justify) that it is the solution to the problem (which it absolutely isn't).

You have informed yourself, of course, and -having considered that this is an EU problem, that the UK is still part of the EU, and that very many of these Med chancers intend to make a beeline for the UK- learned that the UK is contributing the grand total of one immigration officer in fulfilment of its EU commitment to task force Triton? I'm sure you have, and accept this as entirely proportional and appropriate to the issue :|

If not...well hey-ho, as I said, don't forget to vote for Brexit. The problem is that, when Brexiting, the UK will lose the benefit of the EU's strict policies on sea water and beach cleanliness, so not much might get done about the bodies that wash up :twisted:

And you were worried about the State denying radical Muslims their human right to wear a burka? I'd call that an acute failure of one's sense of perspective...or of one's humanity indeed, take your pick.

Edited by L00b

There's absolutely nothing hypocritical in my stance. I advocate the personal freedom to wear whatever clothing you like, without state interference. And the freedom to drown yourself in the Med without state interference.

The issues are however, totally unrelated, the first is about personal freedom and liberty, the second is about a humanitarian problem.

You are advocating that societal norms, including how people dress, should be enforced by the state.

And apparently on an unrelated note, arguing that the UK is responsible for saving people from their own actions in a sea about a thousand miles from our mainland. (Are we responsible for refugee's drowning elsewhere, or just the Med, what about the ones who drown trying to reach Australia, should we be saving them?)

There's absolutely nothing hypocritical in my stance. I advocate the personal freedom to wear whatever clothing you like, without state interference. And the freedom to drown yourself in the Med without state interference.

<...>And apparently on an unrelated note,<...>

It is only marginally unrelated, this has developed from your earlier post claiming that you "do have a problem with the state acting in a hypocritical way". The UK is being hypocritical here, but by your posts you don't have a problem with it. So which is it?

You are advocating that societal norms, including how people dress, should be enforced by the state.
As already posted, I don't need to advocate anything: societal norms, including how people dress, are enforced by the State. And some States enforce more than others.

arguing that the UK is responsible for saving people from their own actions in a sea about a thousand miles from our mainland.
The UK is as responsible for the humanitarian disaster unfolding in the Med as all other EU Member States, since African refugees are fleeing to the EU shores. Not to Turkey or Egypt or <etc.>. If the UK was not part of the EU, it would not have any such responsibility. But it is, and for now still, so that's that.

In the above context, that the UK wants to do S-F-A about the humanitarian crisis is its right, absolutely. It's a dereliction of duty all the same, but as posted earlier (or in a different thread), WTF does "duty", "sense of morality", "humanity", "sense of personal responsibility" means in this day and age anyway, eh?

But that the UK justifies its decision to do S-F-A by claiming that it is the solution to the problem, is reaching absolutes of hypocrisy.

(Are we responsible for refugee's drowning elsewhere, or just the Med, what about the ones who drown trying to reach Australia, should we be saving them?)
See the above, and there's no point trying to build a strawman with me, as you well know. Edited by L00b