Is it acceptable for non Muslims to wear burkas?

You are advocating that societal norms, including how people dress, should be enforced by the state.

Societal norms are enforced by the state, as Stephen Gough found out when they imprisoned him for years for the crime of wandering about nude.

It is against the law to marry more than one woman whether your religious beliefs say otherwise or not.

In the UK it is illegal and subject to a prison sentence of up to 7 years.

FGM is also illegal in the UK, and rightly so, despite the fact it is a common practice amongst some Muslims.

In order to maintain a civilized socially acceptable society the state does lay down laws to curtail social anarchy.

It has been pointed out that the burka is not a requirement of the Islamic faith, and also it is against the custom, practice and manners of British society to conceal your face in public.

The burka should be banned, and many Muslims agree with this.

I think you should spend your time more constructively and improve you[r] grammar.

What are everybody else's thoughts?

Wear whatever you like (look at Grason Perry).Dress up as a "Rubber Dolly" !

Or,don't wear anything at all. Even paint yourself blue from head to foot and speak in "tongues". Wear a three piece suit or a "one-sie." Oh! What jolly good fun could be had by all.

"

Edited by petemcewan

Societal norms are enforced by the state, as Stephen Gough found out when they imprisoned him for years for the crime of wandering about nude.

It is against the law to marry more than one woman whether your religious beliefs say otherwise or not.

FGM is also illegal in the UK, and rightly so, despite the fact it is a common practice amongst some Muslims.

In order to maintain a civilized socially acceptable society the state does lay down laws to curtail social anarchy.

It has been pointed out that the burka is not a requirement of the Islamic faith, and also it is against the custom, practice and manners of British society to conceal your face in public.

Can you get your facts right, please?

The disgusting practice of FGM is not a Muslim practice. Its a sub saharan cultural practice. It happens in some Muslim areas, yes, but it is not solely Muslim, and it is not a widespread nor a common Muslim practice. It happens in Animist, and Christian sub saharan societies, so please stop advertising it as something that is resticted to Islam, and using it as a stick to beat Muslims with.

It also goes against strong islamic teachings that lovemaking is to be pleasurable for the wife as well as the husband, and that the husband is expected to please the wife. If the woman is mutilated, it is not easy (if not impossible) for her to derive pleasure, quite aside from the danger she is put in, regarding her (and the baby's) safety in childbirth, if she has been mutilated.

---------- Post added 29-10-2014 at 11:49 ----------

And, the thread is about wearing the burqa, not FGM.

That's evidence that some are enforced.

And IMO no 'norm' regarding state of dress should be enforced. But going from banning nudity to banning specific items of clothing is definitely a step in the wrong direction. What next, ban something else that people don't like, shell suits maybe, or jeans hanging down showing pants, make them all illegal because I think they look ridiculous?

I haven't said that the state doesn't do this, I said it shouldn't.

This is not a societal norm that infringes only on an individual. It's an act of harm taken against another. It is entirely correct that children should be protected from being harmed.

The level of state interference should be to protect the freedoms of the individual from the behaviour of others. Not suppress the individual when their behaviour doesn't harm anyone else.

It clearly is not. People can wear a motorcycle helmet into a supermarket if they wish. I can walk around at lunchtime wearing a balaclava. Some people wear a hoody that effectively conceals their face.

No, it should not. I should be free to put one on right now if I wanted. Although my colleagues would probably laugh at me.

It's not commonplace among some Muslims, it's commonplace in some parts of Africa. It's a cultural thing, not religious. I thought you'd know this as you seem to be an expert on the Muslim faith??

Can you get your facts right, please?

The disgusting practice of FGM is not a Muslim practice. Its a sub saharan cultural practice. It happens in some Muslim areas, yes, but it is not solely Muslim, and it is not a widespread nor a common Muslim practice. It happens in Animist, and Christian sub saharan societies, so please stop advertising it as something that is resticted to Islam, and using it as a stick to beat Muslims with.

It also goes against strong islamic teachings that lovemaking is to be pleasurable for the wife as well as the husband, and that the husband is expected to please the wife. If the woman is mutilated, it is not easy (if not impossible) for her to derive pleasure, quite aside from the danger she is put in, regarding her (and the baby's) safety in childbirth, if she has been mutilated.

---------- Post added 29-10-2014 at 11:49 ----------

And, the thread is about wearing the burqa, not FGM.

whoa whoa get off your high horse all he said was that it was practised

with some muslims .:roll:

whoa whoa get off your high horse all he said was that it was practised

with some muslims .:roll:

Thank you for taking the trouble to read what I posted correctly.

Some people are that anxious to take offence that they jump in without thinking it through.

I said it is a common practice amongst some Muslims. It is, that is a true statement, what's the problem?

Thank you for taking the trouble to read what I posted correctly.

Some people are that anxious to take offence that they jump in without thinking it through.

I said it is a common practice amongst some Muslims. It is, that is a true statement, what's the problem?

It's got nothing to do with Islam. The fact that the countries where it's practised are Islamic is purely coincidental.