Is it acceptable for non Muslims to wear burkas?

But more importantly should they have responded to the CCTV when they saw someone walking round in a balaclava, should they have asked him to remove it or should the police just allow everyone in the country to walk round in balaclavas if that is what they want to do.

Well, yes. Since we are all free within the law to wear balaclava's, they have no need or ability to stop us all wearing them if we wish.

And if it was common to wear them, they would no longer be associated with crime and the police wouldn't take any interest, since it would simply be common behaviour.

Well, yes. Since we are all free within the law to wear balaclava's, they have no need or ability to stop us all wearing them if we wish.

And if it was common to wear them, they would no longer be associated with crime and the police wouldn't take any interest, since it would simply be common behaviour.

If you believe that, then your naivety approaches dangerous levels.

Once again, post 356 explained exactly why commonplace use of face covering clothing by a significant number of people would be banned.

As stated, we have one CCTV camera for every 11 people in this country.

The authorities regard them as a significant aid to security against terrorists and common criminals.

If you believe that in the event of a mass decision to cover our faces in public they would simply shrug their shoulders and accept the situation you are sadly mistaken.

No comeback on post 376 I wonder why? :)

Burkas are not attire 'usually' associated with criminal activities, unlike balaclavas in summer time, so why would the police have responded? :huh:

In any case, neither you nor I nor anyone would ever know, until and unless it happens (and gets reported), so it's a completely moot/redundant point.

To get back to the OP, it's completely acceptable for non-Muslims to wear burkas in the UK, since there is no British law or social more restricting the wearing of that garment to the Muslim faithful, so that's that.

So if two men go out thieving and used a burkas instead of a balaclavas to hide their identity they will be less likley to be stopped by the police, and the thousands of CCTV cameras will be useless. Burkas have been used to hide the identity of criminals.

---------- Post added 04-11-2014 at 15:25 ----------

I would put money on it that more non criminals wear them than criminals.

I'd agree.

But that's not true of the burka is it, and we are all free to wear both whenever we like legally.

Hoodies have been used to hide the identify of criminals, should we ban them?

So have baseball caps, and many other things. What about amusing latex masks, should they be banned?

False beards? Sunglasses? All banned in the name of protecting us from criminals...

What's the famous quote?

---------- Post added 04-11-2014 at 15:34 ----------

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benjamin Franklin

So if two men go out thieving and used a burkas instead of a balaclavas to hide their identity they will be less likley to be stopped by the police,
Initially, that is true. But, as the problem/practice amplifies, then expectedly police would consider burka wearers with the same suspicion as balaclava wearers (given common relevant circumstances: place, time, <etc.>). One can hope logic prevails.

The "ID-concealing Burka-wearing criminals" argument is a red herring, and I have not denied the hypocritical aspect of this argument when used as justification for the legal measure in France (which I've called for what it is: cultural résistance). Godwiners can f right off, I'm not interested.

Edited by L00b

I'd agree.

But that's not true of the burka is it, and we are all free to wear both whenever we like legally.

So have baseball caps, and many other things. What about amusing latex masks, should they be banned?

False beards? Sunglasses? All banned in the name of protecting us from criminals...

What's the famous quote?

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benjamin Franklin

They are in many shopping centers and businesses, and some might also like to ban the burka but the law wouldn't allow it.

What's the famous quote?

Benjamin Franklin

My God you're hard work, and becoming evasive. :D

Baseball caps and hoodies have been banned in certain circumstances.

Owners of property which allow public access can ban hoodies and any other item of clothing if they so wish, football replica shirts are banned in many establishments.

And there is the inequality. Burka wearers are allowed to conceal their identity whilst others are not.

Your Benjamin Franklin quote makes no sense in this debate.

What essential liberty? The liberty of a controlling man to force his women to conceal their faces?

Or the liberty of the woman to choose not to?

Perhaps you are a mind reader, and know that every burka clad woman who is denied normal day to day human contact, and is forced to conceal any individuality which she may have is happy about it?

" Whatever crushes individuality is despotism, by whatever name it may be called and whether it professes to be enforcing the will of God or the injunctions of men."

John Stuart Mills.

I think these full face/head coverings are anti-social to say the least; they get in the way of normal every day discourse.

You wonder how on earth, in the countries where practically all women wear these things, get on when they can't even visually recognise a friend across the street to wave and say hello and all that... but then you realise they don't get on, these places are very repressive for women and that's what these Burkas represent and anyone who claims that they are in any way a good or healthy thing for society must be mentally ill.

And why do only the women wear them?

Edited by Guest