Is it acceptable for non Muslims to wear burkas?

You need to look again (and I think you mean "should be" not "are").

The post I replied to.

What example do you think the French have set regarding the burka?

And as far as I can see, nobody has argued that covering your face in public should be illegal, because there are so many caveats about when it might be reasonable to do so.

Given the prevalence of the burka in crime (practically none existent) this argument is clearly spurious anyway. It would make more sense (in terms of crime) to ban the sale of the balaclava, but nobody suggests that.

I think you need to read through the topic again because you have clearly missed many important points.

I wasn't replying to the entire thread was I. That's why I quoted a specific poster, who's reference to France you apparently missed.

If you think people are arguing for making covering your face illegal full stop, then feel free to quote the post.

I wasn't replying to the entire thread was I. That's why I quoted a specific poster, who's reference to France you apparently missed.

If you think people are arguing for making covering your face illegal full stop, then feel free to quote the post.

I think you might find that France didn't just ban the burka whilst out in public, you also can't walk round wearing a balaclava or anything else that hides your face. You can still buy them and own them and wear them in private so no ban on any type of clothing.

French ban on face covering

The French ban on face covering (French: Loi interdisant la dissimulation du visage dans l'espace public, "Act prohibiting concealment of the face in public space") is an act of parliament passed by the Senate of France on 14 September 2010, resulting in the ban on the wearing of face-covering headgear, including masks, helmets, balaclava, niqābs and other veils covering the face in public places, except under specified circumstances.[1] The ban also applies to the burqa, a full-body covering, if it covers the face. The bill had previously been passed by the National Assembly of France on 13 July 2010.[2]

http://online.wsj.com/articles/european-human-rights-court-upholds-frances-burqa-ban-1404210496

France passed a law against concealing one's face in public spaces in 2010 and it came into effect the following spring. A few months later, a similar prohibition came into force in Belgium. Citizens of the Ticino canton in Switzerland voted in favor of such a ban in late 2013.

France argues that the veils are a security risk, since they conceal a person's identity. In its arguments to the European court, the French government also said that showing one's face in public was one of the "minimum requirements of life in society.

Edited by SavannahP

What example do you think the French have set regarding the burka?
That a State can be as radical about secularism as Salafists are radical about Islam. Which, when practiced by the said Salafists, is at least as much a way of life (culture) as a faith (religion).

I call it cultural pushback (or enforced integration, take your pick), which arguably would not occur if norms of integration (when in Rome <etc.>) were being followed by immigrants, as they have long (long, long, long) been followed, for decades and more. Until recently, that is (according to official and security sources, there were just about no burkas at all worn in public in France prior to 2000 approx., it is only a relatively recent development - the proselyte character is clear IMHO).

I think you might find that France didn't just ban the burka whilst out in public, you also can't walk round wearing a balaclava or anything else that hides your face. You can still buy them and own them and wear them in private so no ban on any type of clothing.

French ban on face covering

The French ban on face covering (French: Loi interdisant la dissimulation du visage dans l'espace public, "Act prohibiting concealment of the face in public space") is an act of parliament passed by the Senate of France on 14 September 2010, resulting in the ban on the wearing of face-covering headgear, including masks, helmets, balaclava, niqābs and other veils covering the face in public places, except under specified circumstances.[1] The ban also applies to the burqa, a full-body covering, if it covers the face. The bill had previously been passed by the National Assembly of France on 13 July 2010.[2]

That's entirely consistent with what I said. It was you who claimed in broken English "No one as said they are banned."

The reference to France was a reference to the ban. I didn't claim that it stopped at the burka. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Can you stop wasting my time please?

That's entirely consistent with what I said. It was you who claimed in broken English "No one as said they are banned."

The reference to France was a reference to the ban. I didn't claim that it stopped at the burka. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Can you stop wasting my time please?

Is it, it looks to me to be the complete opposite of what you said.

France has got this correct in my opinion.

The national motto of France ' Liberte,Equality,Fraternite' , Freedom, Equality, Brotherhood is an excellent ideal to aspire to.

In order to help ensure achieving the three aims you cannot leave one out.

In this country we make 'allowances' for cultural differences, so do France, the difference is that when they see a particular difference is taking it too far and effecting one of the other ideals, in -this case two Equlite and Fraternite - they act.

It is surely not unreasonable to require immigrants to a country to make some effort to integrate.

It was their choice to settle in another country, no one is demanding that they change their religious beliefs or allegiance to family.

They are treated as equals in another country, and that is entirely right and proper, so asking for a little consideration of the culture of that country, and requesting that they don't willfully choose to break a cultural norm isn't asking too much is it?