Is it acceptable for non Muslims to wear burkas?

Well everyone's entitled to an opinion I suppose.

Our cultural norm is to allow people the freedom to choose their own clothes. Please stop suggesting that we change it to suit you.

No one is preventing anyone wearing their own 'clothes' are they?

Our cultural norm is not to conceal our identity, and to interact with our fellow citizens when they cross our path.

Depending on the circumstances - number of people, location etc - a smile and nod of the head between strangers as they pass is our cultural norm.

You were the one who raised the the hoodie comparison weren't you?

Despite the fact that they don't actually cover the face completely, why do you think so many people hate them?

Could it be because youths try to use them to avoid interaction and to intimidate?

Which is why they are banned from many shopping malls, shops and pubs, something that cannot be done to the burka, which makes the unequal point perfectly, or at least to anyone who can think.

---------- Post added 06-11-2014 at 11:40 ----------

Or move to France.

Brilliant! I've just won a bet. I knew that the retort of those who have no intelligent response would be used. :hihi: :hihi:

Our cultural norm is not to conceal our identity, and to interact with our fellow citizens when they cross our path.

Depending on the circumstances - number of people, location etc - a smile and nod of the head between strangers as they pass is our cultural norm.

Despite the fact that they don't actually cover the face completely, why do you think so many people hate them?

Could it be because youths try to use them to avoid interaction and to intimidate?

Which is why they are banned from many shopping malls, shops and pubs, something that cannot be done to the burka, which makes the unequal point perfectly, or at least to anyone who can think.

---------- Post added 06-11-2014 at 11:40 ----------

Brilliant! I've just won a bet. I knew that the retort of those who have no intelligent response would be used. :hihi: :hihi:

There's plenty of ways 'normal' people conceal their faces, from motorcycle helmets to scarves. Goths wear black and white make up, some people (maybe not so much in the UK) wear dust masks or surgical masks in public. How about a hat that comes over your face or having long hair that covers the face? Large dark sunglasses?

People like to dress and look differently. They should be allowed to do so. Just because it offends you doesn't mean they should change.

That ferry crossing gets cheaper with every winning bet. Enjoy France and give our love. :wave:

Our cultural norm is to allow people the freedom to choose their own clothes. Please stop suggesting that we change it to suit you.

Our cultural norm can be preserved.

People will still be allowed to choose their own cloths and the cultural norm of not covering ones face in public will be preserved by stopping people covering their face in public.

Whilst we are on the subject of choosing your own cloths, there was a young man on TV this morning, he had been sent home from school for wearing the wrong type of black shoes at school.

They certainly aren't at the moment.

But that is what you would like to happen.

So you claim. Personally I don't interact with a very many people that cross my path. Perhaps you're not as normal as you think.

You've clearly never been to London.

Because they got old like you, they probably also hate modern music and skateboard parks.

Ooh, yeah, the intimidatory factor of a hood. They're so scary. Just like the intimidation of a burka.

Not really. Perhaps it means that it shouldn't be legal to ban hoods from shopping centres (we're not in the US, we don't have 'malls').

Betting with yourself is a no sum end game.

Our cultural norm in this country is not to cover ones face unless it is for safety or exceptional reasons.

In this land of equality of the sex's why don't Muslin men were the burka ?

Edited by harvey19

They certainly aren't at the moment.

But that is what you would like to happen.

So you claim. Personally I don't interact with a very many people that cross my path. Perhaps you're not as normal as you think.

You've clearly never been to London.

Because they got old like you, they probably also hate modern music and skateboard parks.

Ooh, yeah, the intimidatory factor of a hood. They're so scary. Just like the intimidation of a burka.

Not really. Perhaps it means that it shouldn't be legal to ban hoods from shopping centres (we're not in the US, we don't have 'malls').

Betting with yourself is a no sum end game.

And perhaps you are a miserable introvert who isn't able to function in a normal fashion?

For over twelve years I spent a night in London every month on business, I had family in London in Clapham and friends in Wanstead.

My wife and I spent many weekends with both of them and I know my way around London extremely well, do you?

You never actually read the posts you respond to do you? I said that you smile and nod Depending on the circumstances - number of people, location etc so how is it that you ignore that and reply in such a daft manner?

Shame not everyone holds your views on people wearing what they like isn't it?

Walmart have been forced to withdraw a halloween costume based on male Pushtan costume, after complaints from Muslims.

Where did I say I was betting with myself? Is that something that you do? In fairness I can understand it, as from your references to not smiling you come across as extremely antisocial.

Is your favourite form of exercise jumping to conclusions?

'You've clearly never been to London' 'Betting with yourself' :)

Edited by mjw47

Our cultural norm in this country is not to cover ones face unless it is for safety or exceptional reasons.

In this land of equality of the sex's why don't Muslin men were the burka ?

Our cultural norm is tolerance and strength, that in itself is a pretty broad brush which includes the burqa and many other things.

If the US ban it then we will no doubt follow suit.

---------- Post added 06-11-2014 at 13:49 ----------

And perhaps you are a miserable introvert who isn't able to function in a normal fashion?

Argument lost.