Is it acceptable for non Muslims to wear burkas?

Our cultural norm is tolerance and strength, that in itself is a pretty broad brush which includes the burqa and many other things.

Would you object if certain people went around in Nazi uniforms or would you accept it as part of our tolerance ?

Serious question.

just for starters , how would you set about challenging the Saudi Arabian men ?

By subjugating them in the same way your "mates" propose subjugating those that wear it of their own free will.... :rolleyes:

It's a male thing is subjugation, women just a get a kicking from both ends, same outcome really.

---------- Post added 06-11-2014 at 15:49 ----------

Would you object if certain people went around in Nazi uniforms or would you accept it as part of our tolerance ?

Serious question.

I find many garments objectionable as a garment, including the burqa, The level of my objection would be the agenda of the "certain" people that do it, not what they wear.

Maybe it's just an automatic knee-jerk reaction that if you agree with civil liberties you automatically agree with the item of clothing .

I disagree with the death penalty = I'm an apologist for murderers...logic.

By subjugating them in the same way your "mates" propose subjugating those that wear it of their own free will.... :rolleyes:

It's a male thing is subjugation, women just a get a kicking from both ends, same outcome really.

And just how do you propose setting about identifying those 'that wear it of their own free will', as opposed to those that are being forced into wearing it against their own free will?

You do acknowledge that there has to be some of those, don't you?

Serious question.

The UK was never invaded and occupied by Nazi Germany.

No matter what people will say about it, there is not the same deep and (socially-) shared sense of aversion for such garments, borne from historical reasons, in the UK as much elsewhere on the Continent.

There's a reason our dog eats of a (period) swastika-emblazoned plate everyday, the same as every dog in our family for the last 70-odd years. I don't expect anybody whose relatives were not directly abused by the Nazi regime to understand it.

Accordingly, I really don't expect that many in the UK to have a problem with it. And still less in this day and age, so long after the facts. For shame, but hey-ho.

Edited by L00b

I wouldn't. It's their freedom, not mine...or yours.

How is it their freedom? How do you know that that is what they want?

I have explained before that there is no such thing as 'personal freedom' in this or for that matter any other country.

What there is is 'personal freedom under the law of the land' people have been imprisoned for attempting to exercise their 'personal freedom'.

No matter what people will say about it, there is not the same deep and (socially-) shared sense of aversion for such garments, borne from historical reasons, in the UK as much elsewhere on the Continent.

There's a reason our dog eats of a (period) swastika-emblazoned plate everyday, the same as every dog in our family for the last 70-odd years. I don't expect anybody whose relatives were not directly abused by the Nazi regime to understand it.

Accordingly, I really don't expect that many in the UK to have a problem with it. And still less in this day and age, so long after the facts. For shame, but hey-ho.

Take care to hide the dogs bowl if you invite Native Americans or Buddhists around for dinner, the swastika was theirs before being hijacked by scum.

There is a major difference in attitudes to Nazi symbols in this country dependent on age.

Older people such as myself do not see any amusement in adopting such symbols 'for fun'.

Whilst I was born after the war I saw the effect it had on many people.

My father served throughout WW2 and saw active service in France, North Africa and Italy, he witnessed comrades die and he killed people who as he said, ' Had done him no personal harm'.

He was a lovely funny and kind man, but no doubt as a result of his experiences he developed clinical depression in later life and died an unhappy man.

So no, I don't take kindly to people dressing up as Nazi Gestapo officers for fun, and I also don't appreciate being called a Fascist by someone who very probably has no idea whatsoever as to the meaning of the word.

Like 6.5 million of your muslim mates do :hihi:

France went to Algeria first.

---------- Post added 06-11-2014 at 21:10 ----------

The Swastika is actually a symbol of Hinduism adopted by Hitler because he liked the idea of the higher cast.

Edited by Bounce