Is it acceptable for non Muslims to wear burkas?

..and using your own logic, whilst it remains a 'minority' it shouldn't present a problem, should it because a 'large proportion of the general public' dont wear it.

But doesn't equality demand that you either have a rule/law for all or none? Why should I be subject to restrictions that do not apply to others because I make a different religious choice?

---------- Post added 09-11-2014 at 11:25 ----------

Doesn't matter what they are, their view has no legal basis.

Sorry, you've lost me. What does that mean?

The people defending Burkas on the grounds of personal choice and freedom are often the same types that also want page 3 banned regardless of the fact that the women posing enjoy and want to do it. :roll:

"Muslim Women should not wear veils, says page 1 of The Sun...

For further information about The Sun's opinion of women, turn to page 3".

Which is why the solution's in education and addressing abusive behaviour rather than banning a mode of dress which will do nothing to ameliorate the condition of those women.

In fact as well as alienating women who do wear it by choice, banning it could make the position of abused women worse as their male abusers would simply seek new methods with which to subjugate them.

I'm also concerned by the missionary zeal with which some detractors approach this issue. Many have no social or emotional investment in Muslim burka wearers, yet seek to superimpose their own view of what's appropriate onto the lifestyles of others, which is easily done if the outcome has no negative consequences to the disgruntled.

That's one of the reasons why I couldn't support a ban.

I do think some of those minority feminist women who choose to wear the burka for reasons other then custom can be somewhat intolerant though, they too should consider the position of those abused women. The few I've heard don't appear to be very vocal about those issues.

I cannot believe that this thread has provoked so much comment....

When Muslims wear the burka in this country they are making a visual statement... that they reject British culture and values. Is it really a surprise that that provokes a reaction?

Surgeons and theatre nurses routinely wear garments that leave only their eyes uncovered and they seem to manage alright.

So you think that because a small number may feel some compulsion to wear it we should deny the freedom to choose to everyone?

Seems like a very poor reason to me.

Some women may be pressured by their menfolk into wearing 'sexy' clothing; many women choose to present themselves in that way - should we ban 'sexy' clothes? Of course not.

Some men forbid their wives and partners from talking to other men; many women choose to talk to other men. Should we ban all women from talking to men other than their husbands or partners? No.

Your argument is a nonsense.

Surgeons and theatre nurses spend limited time speaking to patients wearing a face mask, its hardly the same as bedside communication.

And you're talking nonsense by making silly comparisons.

The subject is about the burka (concealment of the face) not about "sexy clothes"

..and using your own logic, whilst it remains a 'minority' it shouldn't present a problem, should it because a 'large proportion of the general public' dont wear it.[color="Silver

Totally immaterial to the point that I am trying - obviously unsuccessfully - to make.

I am asking for equality across the population.

Allowing a minority to behave in a manner which wouldn't be tolerated if adopted by everyone is not equality, it's discrimination pure and simple.

In order for equality to have any meaning it has to be applied fairly and without exception.

It has no bearing on the subject as to whether something favours a minority or a majority, if it's biased toward one section of society then it's discriminatory.

Surgeons and theatre nurses spend limited time speaking to patients wearing a face mask, its hardly the same as bedside communication.

And you're talking nonsense by making silly comparisons.

The subject is about the burka (concealment of the face) not about "sexy clothes"

he does that a lot :hihi: and he also tries to divert the threads he happens to quote on when he knows hes wrong :roll: