Is it acceptable for non Muslims to wear burkas?

Sorry, you've lost me. What does that mean?

Yes, it's acceptable for non Muslims to wear the burka, socially and legally irrespective of what the Muslim and non Muslim detractors say.

---------- Post added 09-11-2014 at 12:34 ----------

And you're talking nonsense by making silly comparisons. The subject is about the burka (concealment of the face) not about "sexy clothes"

I think the 'silliness' of the comparison was deliberate, highlighting the fact that just because some women are bullied/coerced into wearing certain clothing by domineering partners doesn't demonstrate the need to ban those items of clothing.

The point Halibut was challenging in your post was regarding the freedom of some women to speak out, which has nothing to do with concealment of the face.

---------- Post added 09-11-2014 at 12:36 ----------

I am asking for equality across the population.

Relax, you have it, there are no prohibitions on who can or can't wear a burka...go back to your home, nothing to see here.

When Muslims wear the burka in this country they are making a visual statement... that they reject British culture and values. Is it really a surprise that that provokes a reaction?

At last, an honest response to the burka issue!

I totally agree, it's no surprise it provokes a reaction-to me burka wearers stand out like a sore thumb, whether they're cocking a snook to British values or not I don't know, they may well be, but then I regard people who are heavily tattooed or with lary hairstyles/make up the same way...but frankly it aint none of my business, and advocating the ban of any it would make it so.

---------- Post added 09-11-2014 at 12:48 ----------

with the cold weather coming up and me working outside im wondering do they do a thermal burka :hihi:. come to think of it would it be against elf and safety to wear it under my hard hat :suspect::hihi:(serious question)

What ricgem's burd makes him go out in

Yes, it's acceptable for non Muslims to wear the burka, socially and legally irrespective of what the Muslim and non Muslim detractors say.

Legally - yes. Socially - I'm not so sure.

Would it be socially acceptable to wear a BNP t-shirt? Regardless of the legality of it, it is going to provoke a negative response from some and the wearer can expect most people to form a negative view of them based on nothing more than what they are wearing. I don't think there is much difference when it comes to the burka because it effectively says that the person wearing it has extreme Islamic beliefs and that is just as unwelcome to most people as someone with overtly racist beliefs.

Should we ban people wearing BNP t-shirts or burkas? No. Should we allow any exception to rules/laws to accommodate them? No. Should we shake our heads in unsolicited disapproval when they walk past us in the street... arguably.

Legally - yes. Socially - I'm not so sure.

Would it be socially acceptable to wear a BNP t-shirt? Regardless of the legality of it, it is going to provoke a negative response from some and the wearer can expect most people to form a negative view of them based on nothing more than what they are wearing. I don't think there is much difference when it comes to the burka because it effectively says that the person wearing it has extreme Islamic beliefs and that is just as unwelcome to most people as someone with overtly racist beliefs.

Should we ban people wearing BNP t-shirts or burkas? No. Should we allow any exception to rules/laws to accommodate them? No. Should we shake our heads in unsolicited disapproval when they walk past us in the street... arguably.

Our thinking on this isn't too far apart Zamo.

---------- Post added 09-11-2014 at 12:36 ----------

[/color]

Relax, you have it, there are no prohibitions on who can or can't wear a burka...go back to your home, nothing to see here.

Please tell me that you are not that dim, please tell me that you are just arguing for the sake of it?

Because if you are serious, then your inability to comprehend a very simple concept is frightening.

Read all of my post at 646 not just the bit that you felt - incorrectly - that you had a reply to.

Then please explain how we all have the right to wear a burka, or cover our face by other means.

Because if you are trying to claim that we could all cover our faces by wearing a burka but would not be able to using other forms of clothing, then that would be discrimination, wouldn't it?

Then explain how exactly the burka is not discriminatory.

Those football fans being forced to uncover their faces and then being photographed by the police, what do you imagine happens when a burka wearer walks in the vicinity of a football ground before or after a match?

I've seen it happen, so I can help you with the answer to that if you're stuck.

Those football fans being forced to uncover their faces and then being photographed by the police, what do you imagine happens when a burka wearer walks in the vicinity of a football ground before or after a match?

nothing will happen to them the police would find themselves getting labelled as racist and we cant have that can we :roll:

Then please explain how we all have the right to wear a burka, or cover our face by other means.

Because if you are trying to claim that we could all cover our faces by wearing a burka but would not be able to using other forms of clothing, then that would be discrimination, wouldn't it?

Here's the 'dim' bit..we are able to wear the burka, whatever colour, religion or culture we are, there's no prohibition on it.

What does this have to do with whether it's acceptable for non Muslims to wear the burka?

Whether it's happened or not is irrelevant, there's no prohibition on someone covering their face if they choose to do so. Another poster has clearly stated the reasons where a prohibition can apply, which endorses the fact that people can wear what they like, because a special order has to be in place to enable the police to require people's faces are visible.

It's also perfectly acceptable that a police officer can establish your identiy if he has reason to ask you, whether you're wearing a burka or not.

---------- Post added 09-11-2014 at 15:33 ----------

nothing will happen to them the police would find themselves getting labelled as racist and we cant have that can we :roll:

Sometimes that persecution complex just overwhelms some people, have you seen many burka wearers at football matches rg? :hihi:

Please tell me that you are not that dim, please tell me that you are just arguing for the sake of it?

Because if you are serious, then your inability to comprehend a very simple concept is frightening.

Read all of my post at 646 not just the bit that you felt - incorrectly - that you had a reply to.

Then explain how exactly the burka is not discriminatory.

Why don't you explain how everyone doesn't have the right to wear face coverings, it is only your opinion. It would be rather nice if you could provide some legislation to prove your point, unfortunately you do not seem able to.

I tried to explain some to you in an earlier post with regards to the Public Order Act and if you look back you will see it applies to football fans when intelligence indicates trouble is imminent, but, as you do with everyone else's input you resort to putting posters down when things don't go your way.

Just have a look back to some of your previous posts when some people are being quite reasonable, your replies are quite scathing because they don't see your point of view.

I came upon these Youtube clip of a Muslim man getting very hot under the collar about non muslims wearing burkas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkQ73B_RV2k

What are you thoughts?

Is it acceptable for non Muslims to wear burkas?

Yes

I had something very similar on on the October 31, the kids thought is was scary, until I took it off and they saw my ugly mug and then they knew what real fear was. :hihi: