Is it acceptable for non Muslims to wear burkas?

I think the 'silliness' of the comparison was deliberate, highlighting the fact that just because some women are bullied/coerced into wearing certain clothing by domineering partners doesn't demonstrate the need to ban those items of clothing.

The point Halibut was challenging in your post was regarding the freedom of some women to speak out, which has nothing to do with concealment of the face.

Yes well I haven't endorsed the call for a ban, but I have on an earlier post alluded to whether the government should issue some guidelines regarding the need for regulations in certain places of employment where face to face communication is of great importance.

]'m particularly thinking of health care professionals on that issue, and though I realise its very rare you hear of a member of staff involved in direct patient care wearing the burka, it is permitted apparently, which in my view can be a disadvantage to a patient looking for reassurance.

it must have overwhelmed a lot of people in Rotherham then looking at the recent case of what happened there wouldn't you say :roll:

It certainly did, especially as noone was actually accused by anybody of being a racist for investigating claims of child sex abuse in Rotherham.

Here's the 'dim' bit..we are able to wear the burka, whatever colour, religion or culture we are, there's no prohibition on it.

What does this have to do with whether it's acceptable for non Muslims to wear the burka?

Whether it's happened or not is irrelevant, there's no prohibition on someone covering their face if they choose to do so. Another poster has clearly stated the reasons where a prohibition can apply, which endorses the fact that people can wear what they like, because a special order has to be in place to enable the police to require people's faces are visible.

It's also perfectly acceptable that a police officer can establish your identiy if he has reason to ask you, whether you're wearing a burka or not.

---------- Post added 09-11-2014 at 15:33 ----------

Sometimes that persecution complex just overwhelms some people, have you seen many burka wearers at football matches rg? :hihi:

You really don't understand what's being said do you? :o

Nowhere have I said that you can't wear a burka.

Unless I've missed it I don't think any other poster has said you cannot wear the burka.

It is accepted by everyone that you can wear a burka.

Do you know something boyfriday? Should the urge ever come over you, or you have a really bad hair day you could, should you choose to, wear a burka, I'm not kidding here, you could if you wanted to! :)

The point that is trying to be made is that should a significant number of people decide to disguise themselves in this way on a regular basis, it would be banned for the reasons which have already been explained.

The evidence for this is past actions carried out by the State when it's authority was being challenged.

The miners strike in 1984 was a case in point. The police set up roadblocks wherever they felt like it. Thousands of ordinary people with no connection whatsoever to the coal industry had their lawful actions interfered with.

Vehicles were stopped and searched, occupants questioned and some ordered to return to wherever they came from.

Anyone disobeying was arrested, Thatcher crushed the unions in revenge for them bringing down the Heath government. Are you old enough to remember her famous quote when it was all over?

" They tell us we shouldn't gloat, well, I'm gloating."

And that is how the State handles people who attempt to defy them.

What does it have to do with people wearing the burka? Well as the football fans are simply walking, minding their own business on their way to the match

why should they have to reveal their face and be photographed?

After all, according to some on here we can wear what we like, and according to you in the above post a special order has to be in place. Well it may well be in place, because the showing your face and being photographed is a regular occurrence outside football matches.

It doesn't apply to burka wearers though, they are not required to obey the same rules, which is discriminatory isn't it? :)

You really don't understand what's being said do you? :o

Nowhere have I said that you can't wear a burka.

Unless I've missed it I don't think any other poster has said you cannot wear the burka.

It is accepted by everyone that you can wear a burka.

Do you know something boyfriday? Should the urge ever come over you, or you have a really bad hair day you could, should you choose to, wear a burka, I'm not kidding here, you could if you wanted to! :)

The point that is trying to be made is that should a significant number of people decide to disguise themselves in this way on a regular basis, it would be banned for the reasons which have already been explained.

The evidence for this is past actions carried out by the State when it's authority was being challenged.

The miners strike in 1984 was a case in point. The police set up roadblocks wherever they felt like it. Thousands of ordinary people with no connection whatsoever to the coal industry had their lawful actions interfered with.

Vehicles were stopped and searched, occupants questioned and some ordered to return to wherever they came from.

Anyone disobeying was arrested, Thatcher crushed the unions in revenge for them bringing down the Heath government. Are you old enough to remember her famous quote when it was all over?

" They tell us we shouldn't gloat, well, I'm gloating."

And that is how the State handles people who attempt to defy them.

What does it have to do with people wearing the burka? Well as the football fans are simply walking, minding their own business on their way to the match

why should they have to reveal their face and be photographed?

After all, according to some on here we can wear what we like, and according to you in the above post a special order has to be in place. Well it may well be in place, because the showing your face and being photographed is a regular occurrence outside football matches.

It doesn't apply to burka wearers though, they are not required to obey the same rules, which is discriminatory isn't it? :)

You keep banging on about the miners strike but that particular piece of legislation has nothing to do with face coverings.

Here's a favourite phrase of yours " You don't understand do you?"

Ask your ex constable 'mate' .