Is it acceptable for non Muslims to wear burkas?

To you maybe but to Muslims generally, the clothing is part of their religion.

Stop being so ignorant.

No it's not, you are the one who is displaying ignorance here.

My local newsagent is a Pakistani ex school teacher and a Muslim.

His wife and daughter- in- law also work in the shop from time to time and neither wear the Burka.

We have had a conversation about it, and he stated that it is not required by any instruction in the Quran, and in his opinion is only insisted on by control freak Muslims who wish to dominate their women.

His wife and daughter- in- law also work in the shop from time to time and neither wear the Burka.

We have had a conversation about it, and he stated that it is not required by any instruction in the Quran, and in his opinion is only insisted on by control freak Muslims who wish to dominate their women.

Not always. Some of those women do so out of choice, often they are quite strong willed and independent.

Ah, right, okay then. Remember to use the spellchecker next time.
Show me a spell checker that knows the difference between there, their, and they're or yore and your

frinstance. I misspelt that last word just to keep you happy.

Not always. Some of those women do so out of choice, often they are quite strong willed and independent.

That might be true, and it might also be a result of indoctrination and a bit of 'Stockholm syndrome'.

All religions are to a greater or lesser degree misogynist, Islam takes it to unacceptable degrees in my view.

That does not apply to all Muslims, Turkey is Muslim and you never see a burka, most Turkish women dress the same as our women and the only difference is that a few wear headscarves to conceal their hair.

Frankly it doesn't really matter what your local newsagent says, if it's acceptable for non Muslims to have the freedom to wear a burka (which I believe it is), then it's certainly acceptable for Muslims to choose to wear one whether there's any religious significance attached to it or not.

It's ironic that your newsagent offers a negative opinion on burka wearing muslims, denouncing those that do as being under the influence of 'control freaks', try to work that logic out.

---------- Post added 27-10-2014 at 17:27 ----------

I wasn't actually aware that a burka was a national flag.

But you are aware that like the burka it's a 'piece of cloth', (to quote the poster I was responding to), which some people attach a certain amount of significance to?

---------- Post added 27-10-2014 at 17:29 ----------

Yes, that's because most of us are neurotic; and not self-aware enough to realise that fact.

Just like the the Burkha, the Union Flag represents an idea; and we generally feel attacks on things that represents ideas, to be attacks on those ideas themselves.

I would suggest, it is only the ideas which serve our own self-interest (i.e. those which are ultimately not grounded in truth) that can be attacked and tarnished. So, we dislike attacks on the icons which represent our own self-serving paradigms; because we want everyone else to buy in to and accept as truth, our own version of how we say things are.

Agree pretty much with all you say. The burka means nothing to me, in fact I find it anachronistic but I wouldn't interfere in the rights of people to wear what they want.

Frankly it doesn't really matter what your local newsagent says, if it's acceptable for non Muslims to have the freedom to wear a burka (which I believe it is), then it's certainly acceptable for Muslims to choose to wear one whether there's any religious significance attached to it or not.

It's ironic that your newsagent offers a negative opinion on burka wearing muslims, denouncing those that do as being under the influence of 'control freaks', try to work that logic out.

---------- Post added 27-10-2014 at 17:27 ----------

The logic should be quite clear to anyone who understands logic.

The Muslim men who insist upon their women wearing the burka are doing so for reasons of their own which are nothing to do with any religious requirement.

They are imposing their will upon another person for their own gratification, this is otherwise known as being a control freak.

The newsagent on the other hand was merely explaining to a non Muslim that no such instruction was contained in the Quran.

He then gave his opinion as to that behaviour, he didn't however go on to state that he was going to insist that his view would be imposed upon anyone.

That is known as expressing an opinion.

Now, do you comprehend the difference there?