Meersbrook Bank School Mid 50s

• 2 months later...

Hi recall the Howsons. I correspond regularly with Tony Jepson and his wife, Jean. Tony Strange died when he was 19. He lived opposite me when I was a youngster.

---------- Post added 14-12-2015 at 20:14 ----------

Brian J, are you Marjorie J's brother?

---------- Post added 14-12-2015 at 20:15 ----------

Brian Godfrey lives in St Tropez in South of France.

Chris Sanderson was my cousin. He passed away this year unfortunately.

sad news about chris another one of the class gone

---------- Post added 15-12-2015 at 16:13 ----------

Hello Joan, I have just seen this post. i hope that you are well. it's a while since we last corresponded. I am living in Swansea with my second wife, Galina. Clive has not spoken to me since Adrian died in 2009.

As you know I too went to MB school (1953 - 1959). I recall a lot of the names mentioned earlier in this thread. Raymond Oakley was a big mate of my brother, Clive.

In my year, there was Tony Gardner, Andrew Jordan, John Taylor, Susan Heeley, Christine Castrey, Susan Aspinall, Steven Garbutt, John Everitt (who went on to King Edward VII), Stevan Hardwick, Stan Seggar, Karen Jerzynski, Geoff Torr (who died in 2009), a girl called Francis, Ann Jones, Kathrine Milner, Stuart Hukin (who still trades from his parents premises at 25 Thirwell Road), and Susan Pryke, amongst others.

Rosemary Peacock who was in Clive's (your) year married my friend Jim Voss - they live near Wetherby. i hope to see them again later this year. Also, in your class was Ann Ingham, Kevin Battersby, and Andrea Small.

My first wife, Val Thorpe, was in the year above me. I think that in her class was Melanie Pringle, Pamela May, Helen Needham, Margaret Stafford, Christine Byrne (nee Wragg), Shirley Damms, Margaret Orwin (nee Jenkinson), June Housley (nee Spotswood), Elaine Perry (later of dancing school fame), and Ian McGowan.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 15:22 ----------

Clive had a bad temper as a child and his motorcycle accident on Shoreham Street left him with physical and mental issues. He suffers from multi-mini-strokes and this caused him to take early retirement quite a few years ago.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 15:34 ----------

Hi MG, I think that John Everitt and me were punished for dropping you in a puddle in the playground after you and, my brother, Clive had been teasing us. i think that we only wanted to make you think that we were going to drop you, but I recall that you struggled and we could not hold on. Is it too late for me to apologise?

I am sorry that Clive didn't recognise you when he was working in that radiator repairers. He had taken a job as an apprentice at Laycocks and because the money wasn't good he left to take the dead end job repairing radiators. He met his wife, Sheila, there.

As i recall it you were big mates with Clive at MB school. Clive's health is not good and he won't speak to me since my younger brother, Adrian, died in 2009.

Since reading your thread i cannot stop thinking about newspaper delivery. Did you deliver newspapers as a teenager? Other than that I cannot think why "newspapers" have come into my mind.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 15:41 ----------

I recall Linda Roper. I think she was in my class.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 15:46 ----------

Chris Sanderson lived at the junction of Norton Lees Road and Derbyshire Lane. His dad ran the body shop on Derbyshire Lane. He had an older sister, who had nice blond hair.

Graydon Timm, Kathy's brother, passed the 11+ (as i did) and went to Rowlinson (as i did). Graydon lives near me here in Swansea. He is a retired University Lecturer - he did well in his career.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 16:46 ----------

Quite a few of the people mentioned in this thread are on Friends Reunited. Ray Oakley, Joan K and Mick G for example. There are some interesting photos on that site too. http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk Kevin Battersby and Ray Oakley are also on FB

chris sandersons dad ran a scrap metal business the car body shop was hazelwoods. not sure of correct spelling.

---------- Post added 15-12-2015 at 16:26 ----------

Another one of our old class mates if going through a bad time at the moment ,Kevin Battersby, maybe some old school pals could drop him a line to cheer him up I can pm his address don't think he does social media.

Edited by choogling

sad news about chris another one of the class gone

---------- Post added 15-12-2015 at 16:13 ----------

chris sandersons dad ran a scrap metal business the car body shop was hazelwoods. not sure of correct spelling.

---------- Post added 15-12-2015 at 16:26 ----------

Another one of our old class mates if going through a bad time at the moment ,Kevin Battersby, maybe some old school pals could drop him a line to cheer him up I can pm his address don't think he does social media.

Hi, maybe you know me, Chooling? Aizelwoods was the painter and decorators at the corner of Derbyshire Lane and Cliffefield Road. Chris Sanderson's dad ran a motor body paint shop opposite Genn, the Butchers, on Derbyshire Lane. The house was in the yard at the junction of Derbyshire Lane and Norton Lees Road. Kevin Battersby used to be a good friend, even though he was in, Clive Morgan, my brother's class at Meersbrook Bank - the year below me. Please send me Kevin's email/phone number if you can. I have tried to contact him without success previously. Best regards, SAM

Hi, maybe you know me, Chooling? Aizelwoods was the painter and decorators at the corner of Derbyshire Lane and Cliffefield Road. Chris Sanderson's dad ran a motor body paint shop opposite Genn, the Butchers, on Derbyshire Lane. The house was in the yard at the junction of Derbyshire Lane and Norton Lees Road. Kevin Battersby used to be a good friend, even though he was in, Clive Morgan, my brother's class at Meersbrook Bank - the year below me. Please send me Kevin's email/phone number if you can. I have tried to contact him without success previously. Best regards, SAM

Yes of course I know you, I'm going round to Kevin's in the morning to drop off his Christmas card I'll get his phone number for you,bye the way I forgive you for dropping me in that puddle to tell you the truth I can't for the life of me remember it happening! MG

Yes of course I know you, I'm going round to Kevin's in the morning to drop off his Christmas card I'll get his phone number for you,bye the way I forgive you for dropping me in that puddle to tell you the truth I can't for the life of me remember it happening! MG

Your nickname fooled me big time there MG. Give Kevin my very best regards. I hope to speak to him soon.

Hi recall the Howsons. I correspond regularly with Tony Jepson and his wife, Jean. Tony Strange died when he was 19. He lived opposite me when I was a youngster.

---------- Post added 14-12-2015 at 20:14 ----------

Brian J, are you Marjorie J's brother?

---------- Post added 14-12-2015 at 20:15 ----------

Brian Godfrey lives in St Tropez in South of France.

Fraid not Gwyn. Tony Strange was a good friend of mine for the tragic short time that I knew him.

If you know Tony Jepson I would imagine you knew Keith Fairfax and older brother John.

Fraid not Gwyn. Tony Strange was a good friend of mine for the tragic short time that I knew him.

If you know Tony Jepson I would imagine you knew Keith Fairfax and older brother John.

Hi Brian, of course I know Keith Fairfax and John Fairfax. Keith lives now on Warminster Road. He was my neighbour for thirty years.