What sort of student were/are you?

Had an interesting chat about learning styles today. Without going into too much theory and all that I just was struck by the fact that my idea of students might not be as unified as I thought.

My basic classification of students: Those that work according to instructions, diligently and dutifully, (not me).

Those that live in chaos and don't realise they have things to hand in until the last moment (used to be me).

Those that don't really care and leave things until the last moment so they can go out with friends a lot (partially me).

So what sort of student were/are you?

Had an interesting chat about learning styles today. Without going into too much theory and all that I just was struck by the fact that my idea of students might not be as unified as I thought.

My basic classification of students: Those that work according to instructions, diligently and dutifully, (not me).

Those that live in chaos and don't realise they have things to hand in until the last moment (used to be me).

Those that don't really care and leave things until the last moment so they can go out with friends a lot (partially me).

So what sort of student were/are you?

All of them, depended on the subject and in some cases the teacher.

I was both a combination of the above and a different type. Most of the time I worked out a topic, did all of the preparatory work really early on (but clearly had nothing to show for it if someone was to ask me to show them my work) and then blocked off the week before hand in and spent that time actually writing it at anything up to 5000 words a day.

There were occasions when I didn't like the topic that involved going up to my office with a tray that had a hot flask of tea, a bottle of water, some snacks and some sandwiches on, unplugging the phone and just not allowing myself to leave the room apart from bathroom breaks until it was done. That didn't mean I was living in chaos though- I knew what I had to do and when.

I lived and breathed the subject and worked my backside off to the point where my agressive and particular approach to wanting to know all the details and cover all the bases by endlessly demanding answers and input really hacked off several of my tutors.

Rather irritatingly, it pains me to say that a lot of my fellow students in my subject area, were your typical students, if you go to your average person who never went to Uni etc, and ask them to describe your stereotypical student - they were it. To be honest, I hated students, even when I was one, I did have a large number of nights out with friends, but they were always reserved for the days where I had nothing to do, and I could spend the day being hungover. A fair amount of the work we had was done as pairs or 'teams' and we were always the ones there at 9 to get our work out of the way, it was a pain and got quite tedious, but it didn't have feel good to have a sizeable chunk of work done by the end of the day where the others were just rolling in hungover, and we were leaving.

Unlike many students, I still came out with a degree, and never stayed later than perhaps... 7 o clock?

Rather irritatingly, it pains me to say that a lot of my fellow students in my subject area, were your typical students, if you go to your average person who never went to Uni etc, and ask them to describe your stereotypical student - they were it. To be honest, I hated students, even when I was one, I did have a large number of nights out with friends, but they were always reserved for the days where I had nothing to do, and I could spend the day being hungover. A fair amount of the work we had was done as pairs or 'teams' and we were always the ones there at 9 to get our work out of the way, it was a pain and got quite tedious, but it didn't have feel good to have a sizeable chunk of work done by the end of the day where the others were just rolling in hungover, and we were leaving.

Unlike many students, I still came out with a degree, and never stayed later than perhaps... 7 o clock?

What was your degree subject and uni?

How does one describe a typical stereotyped uni student if you've never been to uni? Unless based on anecdotes.

What was your degree subject and uni?

How does one describe a typical stereotyped uni student if you've never been to uni? Unless based on anecdotes.

Engineering, more specifically - CAD.

Well I always had the impression (Coming from a family where I was the first to within both sides to want to go in to further education)we were often seen as louts, taking the governments money and blowing it on booze and useless stuff, and then we had that prat with the war memorial that really didn't help us that much. I can honestly see where the view comes from, amongst the Engineering department was a lot of the graphic designers and art students, who had the tendency to be unbelievably pretentious, they would fit the bill perfectly.

As an Engineering student we found it wasn't as easy going as Art or Graphic Design of course, so without the right sort of discipline our assignments never really got good marks. I'm not going to lie and say I was all study, I had a LOT of nights out, but I also had a job through uni and financed a lot of stuff myself, it kind of kept me in check, knowing I had to put more important things before getting drunk on a night out.

GCSE's mainly C's and D's though I did get an A in P.E. I am physically very fit and my blood pressure is perfect even though....

I have only a BTEC National Diploma in Computer studies and could have gone a lot further. I'm quite an intelligent guy but my mental health issues and chronic alcoholism destroys me.