Poster blames rape victims, does it?

Stop acting dumb ron, the poster is not suggesting that having 'a drink' can lead to someone being raped, even you can see that surely, or do you want to see something else, if people don't understand or misunderstand the message, that is their problem.

Now ron about my world, let me tell you something, I live in the real one, have done for well over 50 years and I was streetwise at a very young age .... I have seen plenty of good, bad and indifferent, I have known and met a lot of people, they live in the same world as me.

Forget the statistics, a female who is 'hammered' as you choose to describe it, is in my opinion, putting herself in a vulnerable position if there are potential rapists about.

You can disagree with that and twist it around as much as you like, it won't change my opinion !

Oh and why you keep going on about me concluding things when your concluding things yourself I will never know, please read and understand things properly ron and stop jumping to conclusions, it makes you come across as very hypocritical !

The question asked was "does the poster blame rape victims".

In order to reply to root's question one would need to observe the poster and its contents.

Roots did not ask you to answer based on what isn't within the content or even add your own content, or even bastardise the content already there. If that was his intention then my answer could be "yes it does blame" as long as I'm allowed a freehand like you at changing text or composition.

ONE IN THREE REPORTED RAPES HAPPENS

WHEN THE VICTIM HAS BEEN DRINKING

Not..

BECAUSE THE VICTIM HAS BEEN DRINKING

Or

WHEN THE VICTIM IS HAMMERED/DRUNK (your favourite)

or even better

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY WOMEN, DON'T GET DRUNK AS

YOU HAVE A 1 IN 3 CHANCE OF BEING RAPED.

The posters intention is to get a message over, not invite you to rewrite it, otherwise they'd have given you a blank canvas, especially if only one aspect of it is questionable. It's a national campaign poster delivered by the establishment..get it bang on!

Some people may look at something (establishment) and think.."Ooo" I'll do that' in a drone like vacant way, or some may stand back and think.."hey! that doesn't sound right, I'll question that in a non vacant - I don't take up the backside - docility.

So tell me..what is it I see? What am I supposed to see? Or more importantly if not likely, what do you want me to see?

If you wish to further your career in disambiguation, perversion, distortion etc then I suggest you go Pm's with Smithy...but in all honesty you're doing fine on your own.

---------- Post added 02-11-2014 at 18:05 ----------

Forget the statistics,

As far as I can see they're dodgy anyway.

a female who is 'hammered' as you choose to describe it, is in my opinion, putting herself in a vulnerable position if there are potential rapists about.

I don't choose..that's the irony of you getting upset. You do choose..

So females approach you on a night out and say "I'm not drinking tonight, you might rape me?" Everyone is a potential rapist..Do you likewise curb your drinking?

Edited by ronthenekred

The question asked was "does the poster blame rape victims".

In order to reply to root's question one would need to observe the poster and its contents.

Roots did not ask you to answer based on what isn't within the content or even add your own content, or even bastardise the content already there. If that was his intention then my answer could be "yes it does blame" as long as I'm allowed a freehand like you at changing text or composition.

WHEN THE VICTIM HAS BEEN DRINKING

Not..

BECAUSE THE VICTIM HAS BEEN DRINKING

Or

WHEN THE VICTIM IS HAMMERED/DRUNK (your favourite)

or even better

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY WOMEN, DON'T GET DRUNK AS

YOU HAVE A 1 IN 3 CHANCE OF BEING RAPED.

The posters intention is to get a message over, not invite you to rewrite it, otherwise they'd have given you a blank canvas, especially if only one aspect of it is questionable. It's a national campaign poster delivered by the establishment..get it bang on!

Some people may look at something (establishment) and think.."Ooo" I'll do that' in a drone like vacant way, or some may stand back and think.."hey! that doesn't sound right, I'll question that in a non vacant - I don't take up the backside - docility.

So tell me..what is it I see? What am I supposed to see? Or more importantly if not likely, what do you want me to see?

If you wish to further your career in disambiguation, perversion, distortion etc then I suggest you go Pm's with Smithy...but in all honesty you're doing fine on your own.

---------- Post added 02-11-2014 at 18:05 ----------

As far as I can see they're dodgy anyway.

I don't choose..that's the irony of you getting upset. You do choose..

So females approach you on a night out and say "I'm not drinking tonight, you might rape me?" Everyone is a potential rapist..Do you likewise curb your drinking?

Oh ron, I honestly believe you really don't comprehend plain English, as for disambiguation and you concluding nonsense about me being upset, your clearly deluded fella.

The poster is part of the NHS 'Know your limits' campaign, it's clearly open to interpretation to how any individual sees it, if people wish to see it as 'blaming' rather than a 'warning' then that's their problem !

Now ron about your limits, learn to read and understand things better, it will help you make more sense on here ..... comprende !

Oh and who the hell is smithy :huh:

The poster is part of the NHS 'Know your limits' campaign, it's clearly open to interpretation to how any individual sees it, if people wish to see it as 'blaming' rather than a 'warning' then that's their problem !

So in order to reduce your chances of being raped you've personally reduced your alcohol intake?

So in order to reduce your chances of being raped you've personally reduced your alcohol intake?

Oddly enough ron I have always taken my alcohol pretty well, some can and some can't !

Some years ago in a nightclub, a young lady grabbed me by the genitals and tried to persuade me to join her in the toilets, had I not been so aware, despite my alcohol consumption I ignored her advances ....besides which I was in there with the wife and she would have pasted us both ;)

@ Ron & Mic, one of the problems with the poster (as I've already said) is that it presents the statistics in an ambiguous way. It may be that there is no specific level of alcohol recorded when creating these statistics, simply a box to tick for 'has the victim been drinking alcohol?'.

This, of course, could mean anything between half a shandy to a full blown night of binge-drinking on vodka and/or other shorts.

The photo is also inappropriate.

That said, I still can't see how it can be perceived as blaming the victims. Those who think so are yet to give an explanation of how or why.

@ Ron & Mic, one of the problems with the poster (as I've already said) is that it presents the statistics in an ambiguous way. It may be that there is no specific level of alcohol recorded when creating these statistics, simply a box to tick for 'has the victim been drinking alcohol?'.

This, of course, could mean anything between half a shandy to a full blown night of binge-drinking on vodka and/or other shorts.

That said, I still can't see how it can be perceived as blaming the victims. Those who think so are yet to give an explanation of how or why.

I'm not a fan of statistics used on many posters, they can be deliberately deceiving, I have read, seen and heard so many agenda driven bs stats in my lifetime that I take a rather cynical view of them. Ron keeps harping on about the stats, me I just see what the poster is getting at .... maybe I am getting it wrong, maybe others are, some of whom seem upset by it's message.

Personally I think knowing your limits is sound advice for most people, sadly for some they get bladdered on a couple of drinks but can carry on until oblivion, male or female they put themselves at risk !

Because it quite obviously implies that the woman in that photo has been raped as a result of drinking too much.

Given the fact that I respect most of your comments on this forum I can't believe that you can't see this here, but the fact that you think the photo is inappropriate suggests that you really know this to be the case.

It's a campaign to stop people drinking. And just like other campaigns to stop overeating, stop smoking etc, the campaigners are not hesitant to use scare tactics. Unfortunately in this instance they have decided to focus on the victims of crime rather than the criminals.

Edited by milquetoast1

I'm not a fan of statistics used on many posters, they can be deliberately deceiving, I have read, seen and heard so many agenda driven bs stats in my lifetime that I take a rather cynical view of them. Ron keeps harping on about the stats,

You've clearly made that up..to what purpose I can only guess at. The stats are not important..their basis are flawed.

me I just see what the poster is getting at .... maybe I am getting it wrong, maybe others are, some of whom seem upset by it's message.

Personally I think knowing your limits is sound advice for most people, sadly for some they get bladdered on a couple of drinks but can carry on until oblivion, male or female they put themselves at risk !

Now you're getting it. "Male" hasn't even been mentioned contextually within the poster, but because I mention it it now becomes relevant..was it relevant when you viewed the poster? did you superimpose a "male" victim over the female in the same way you read "bladdered" over "drinking" Or did you think this was aimed at women? Did you think as a potential male victim, "I must curb my drinking in order to cut my chances of being raped"? Honestly? I didn't. I read it as female focused simply because it was female focused. But because it's a debate and debates have a tendency to either open your mind and review your thinking or look at it from a differing perspective, I've come to the conclusion that the poster is dangerously misleading.

If the poster is effective; why do some people want it removing, just because it offends their sensibilities?

Would they rather not have their sensibilities offended, even if the price for that is more women getting raped?

Edited by Waldo