Poster blames rape victims, does it?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/blame

blame

bleɪm/Submit

verb

feel or declare that (someone or something) is responsible for a fault or wrong.

Blame is absolutely about interpretation.

Since we have a number of rape victims who have said that they feel that this poster attributes blame, then shouldn't it be you that's explaining why it does not? Why their feeling that it holds them partly responsible for their own assault is not valid just because it doesn't lead you to interpret it that way?

If you're going to play the definition game, you should read it correctly (and also quote the full list of definitions). The one you've chosen reads

"feel or declare that (someone or something) is responsible for a fault or wrong.", you've followed this up by talking about the victim's feelings. Does the victim "feel or declare that (someone or something) is responsible for a fault or wrong"?

Your use of the definition put alongside a statement about the victim's feelings makes no sense as an argument and seems to just be another association fallacy.

So let's look at it logically, using your definition. We're talking about the poster, does it feel or declare that (someone or something) is responsible for a fault or wrong? If so, how?

I'll happily explain how I came to my conclusion about the poster after you've managed to explain (not simply repeat your position) yours, as etiquette usually works that way when people are asking questions.

The other posters attribute blame too. The woman looks a total mess, well it's her fault for drinking too much. The man lies injured in a drunken heap, well it's his fault for drinking too much. Nobody gets angry about those though for a very obvious reason.
Which posters are you talking about, exactly?

---------- Post added 08-11-2014 at 10:54 ----------

Isn't it patently obvious why many feel that this poster is victim blaming?

The inference is that if a woman is raped when she's drunk, then she's partly to blame.

This is, of course, a load of tosh.

No, it's not obvious (to me).

If it's so obvious to you, then I'm sure you can easily explain how you interpret the poster ( a printed statistic and a photo of a distressed woman ) to infer this.

---------- Post added 08-11-2014 at 10:56 ----------

What if she is drunk and says yes to sex, and he is drunk and says yes to sex and the following morning she accuses him of rape and he is convicted of rape.

Unlike the alcohol limit for driving, there is no limit for ones ability to consent.

I don't see how your post is relevant to the thread

Edited by RootsBooster

Yes, let's explore!...

Once more, you're just saying how you interpret something without explaining why. You say that "don't do X otherwise Y" is the non-retrospective equivalent to "Y is because you did X" but these are things that you've introduced to the mix.

The poster doesn't tell anyone to do or not do anythingm, you just seem to be interpreting it that way, without apparent reason.

Again, you're just saying you think it blames the victim without any reasoning behind it

....and again. Simply repeating "it's victim blaming" is not a form of validation.

---------- Post added 04-11-2014 at 20:21 ----------

I think you misunderstood what I wrote, I said...

....I didn't mention anything about men being victims

ADDED: Ron I just looked at the posters you linked, one is definitely not from the campaign, it's an attempt by a student (explained here) and the other one looks similarly homemade. It certainly doesn't carry the official logos for a start.

ADDED MORE: Yeah, it's another home-made. It can be found here. So both the posters you linked are nothing to do with the campaign.

My bad on both accounts..this will teach me not to use my phone while browsing the web especially without reading glasses.

My bad on both accounts..this will teach me not to use my phone while browsing the web especially without reading glasses.

No problem.

Back on track though, we're almost ten pages in now and not one of the people (who believe that this poster blames rape victims) has put forward an explanation as to how they think it blames the victims.

At least two people have even said it's obvious, yet still no explanation.